Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

smart rear ended by a transport truck

28 posts in this topic

Apparently this happenned in London on Thursday. The smart was stopped for a light and got rearended by the transport at city speeds. The driver of the smart was taken to ER and later released. No injuries, other than being in shock that she was still alive :biglaugh: . Minor damage to the smart.I was told this story by the RN who looked after the lady. At first I thought she might be teasing me (everyone knows I love the smart), but the story was confirmed by one of the policeman that was in the ER. Now if only I had pictures!!!!I would have loved to get in touch with the driver, but that is impossible because of confidentiality laws.Score 1 for the smart, and I'm sure if there are any more ''smart'' accidents in London I will be the first to know.

Wow! That is great news Glenn. The smart crash success storys just keep on coming. Those who sit drooling and waiting for a smart fatality are out of luck have to rely on pictures of Volkswagen Crossfoxes to get their point across.

I have a video recorded from at the time "TechTV".In the show an interview with Transport Canada and there smart testing they talked about a new rear impact test with 80 kph offset impact and the only car that surprisingly past the test was the smart they mentioned that the tail gate still opened.All other cars they tested didn't pass the test.

Yes; if you can, please provide a link, or upload it to YouTube and provide a URL!-Iain

Thanks! It was a very interesting video and interview, even if the sound and video images were out of synch by a minute or two!

A wile back I collected what ever I recorded from TV or Internet and burn it as a DVD.In order to get the video back from the DVD I had to rip it back to AVI and compress it a lot to make it a reasonable size I guess things got lost in the process.On the video I didn't have sound synch problems but lots of compression artifacts in the video.What I find interesting is that I never saw or heard of the video or the statements made in it, you would think smart would take the advantech of the fact that there car, the smallest on the market with no trunk, passes the test others don't.

Absolutely they should be playing it up, I had heard the story of the smart being the only car to pass this test, but this is the proof!The Bubbas all think a smart driver would be killed in a minor rear end bump.

Thanks for the video! I played it through VLC and it stayed in sync, but I told the player to dismiss errors (keep going).

No problems here with stock Quicktime on my Macintosh; everything' in sync and no errors. The one lady's comment about costing only $3 to go Toronto to Montreal is a bit optimistic, I think. :lol:Thanks for encoding and uploading the video for us, Yeti!-Iain

Hey Glenn,If you find any Newspaper articles on it, then could you post links? Generally stuff like that ends up in the paper, even if it's a little blurb.

I got so sick of hearing the interviewer say "smart car", lolMarkus is such good guy, I feel so lucky to have spent time talking with him.-Iain

I was able to get in touch with the husband of the lady who was in the accident.He confirmed that the accident took place and that his wife was OK, other than being a little stiff. The smart was not able to start after the accident and needed to be towed. Of course it will need rear end repairs. I advised him to have the motor mounts checked. Unfortunately there were no pictures taken.

Wow that was a good little video... to hear the owner of MB Canada brag about the smart! and also hear them say "its safer then allot of SUVs" :yahoo:

The smart was not able to start after the accident and needed to be towed.

I was wondering, is there a fuel cut-off switch on the smart? And if so, where is it?

Its a large file and isn't set up for streaming.Left click on the link and download to your computer and then play it with QT or VLC or other player.

About 5 months ago I was stopped at a red light and my Smart was rear-ended by a pickup truck. The young fellow driving it plowed into me like I wasn't there. The back panel on the bumper split and I was visibly shock up. His dad ended up paying for my repair, but when I left all I could think was I'm going to be so stiff tomorrow I'm not going to able to move. Well, much to my surprise and delight I had absolutely no stiffness or pain. The car did exactly what it was suppose to do, protect the driver. By the next day, based on how I felt, you would never have known I'd been in an accident. Although I would have preferred not to have been hit, it certainly confirmed my belief that I had made a "smart" choice as far as safety went.Pam

Good to hear. The members of my own forum think I'm nuts to even have a weakness for the smart!! LOL. I been thinking I should stir them up again soon by mentioning it again!1 HAHAHA. I also know a young lady who lives Northwest of Guelph called it a "sorry eccuse for a car" yet is now whining about gas prices for her cavalier!! Again. HAHAHA!!