Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smartville tour, April 2008, anyone else?

301 posts in this topic

$25, LOL!!!!You had better bring a hobo stick and sheet to hold your belongings in, for the post-cheap-suitcase period!Estelle is having fun, no doubt! Who wants to be on the freakin' internet when you are in Paris?

My suspicion is that for $25, it'll work for one trip. Admittedly, even expensive luggage breaks-- last year in Italy, one of the guys in our tour group had a very expensive suitcase which had the carry handle pop out. It made it very difficult to move from platform to train to overhead bin. So if it lasts the trip, Iain'll be far ahead!I got used to wearing a fanny pack slung over and under my shoulder for passport and memory cards. It sounds dumb but it works for me.

I just sprayed about half a litre of Febreeze in it. When I opened it up it smelled like poison and/or, death. :)So are you gonna ride CDG VAL while waiting for the TGV?! :)-Iain

I found a power adapter for, no kidding, $2.25 at some Indian shop in Toronto. It has like 18 prongs that stick out of it and twist and flip in all different directions!! It's so cool. Actually Calum found it on the way to the airport (I was bored so drove him in). I feel so alone... Paul, Estelle and Calum are now all gone... :( I have so much stuff work to do Monday-Wednesday (big presentation for a machine I've been designing for 9 months - have to pick up European investors on Monday at YYZ and bring them back to the shop, scaaaarry), so that will keep me busy, but yeesh, keep talking to me, I'm so nervous!! Have I said that enough!? Estelle called while we were just leaving for the airport, so I think she's doing good.Long term forecast for Friday (Walibi Belgium) is 14 and light clouds. Fingers crossed!!Oh, one other thing! My parents are up North right now helping out with Maple Syrup season; my dad's cousins and my folks run a maple syrup business (~2000 trees, mostly vacuum line) up there. Anyway, they're coming back tomorrow and are bringing me a 250 mL tin of pure Canadian Maple Syrup specifically to give to Sabine as a gift from the group as a thanks for the tour!Second coat of Febreeze is on the suitcase. lol-Iain

Two days from today, we'll be in Germany!

So this is awesome, the Air France site doesn't recognize our reservation, Europcar's site doesn't recognize our reservation for the car, I'm so stressed at work, that I'm about to walk out the door and never come back here...-Iain

Surely you have a receipt or email for those, so don't sweat it.

I got the flight to finally come up in Air France's site. But the car rentals were through a third party (1st for Car Hire France) that goes through another third party (CarTrawler) to the original car company (Europcar). Fingers crossed.

I hate being such a perfectionist/control freak sometimes, because the result of that is extreme P A N I C when stuff like this happens.

-Iain

Don't worry, be happy!This is gonna be a gas.I am going to smart Centre Würzburg Friday to get some parts for the car (wheel bearings, etc) and I hope, score a test drive of something interesting. BRABUS? I hope they have a demo.Then on Saturday we're going to the Kreuzberg monastery to taste some more of the world's best monk-beer. It is like mothers milk....Then some fun with our German friends....Then in the middle of the following week, things heat up in France!BOO YEAH!

They got a Renault Modus - I am so jealous!Have a safe flight tomorrow Mike!-Iain

Thanks!And you too when you go....what, Thursday?

Yeah - Estelle's husband is driving Arianne and I to Pearson on Thursday just after lunch time. Tomorrow I wrap up everything as best I can at work, then Thursday morning I've got to go to the bank and get some Euro, and that's it, I think everything else is set! You guys are getting together for dinner on Tuesday the 15th, right? I'm just thinking for plans for Wednesday how that will work out (meeting or driving together to smartville) but if you are having dinner then I assume that will be one of the topics of discussion and someone will relay that to us when they poke us out of bed Wednesday morning. :)Maple syrup is double zip-lock bagged for safety and ready to rock! My folks took a pic of the process, but it's dorky so I'm not posting it. :P-Iain

Have a good trip guys. I'm sure it's going to be a great time. Don't forget to stop in at Dynamit Nobel and grab me the CD with the scratch black computer program. B)

Heh, thanks Dave!And Iain, yeah we'll try to remember to talk about the rendez-vous arrangements for the 16th when we're downing frogs legs and whatnot ;)

OK folks, Mike T is signing off for several days, see you in France!

:: breeeeeeeeathe!! ::I'm off, ahhhhhh!! I might be able to sneak onto Calum's computer from time to time - now I'm really wishing I'd bought one of those eeePC's. :)Bye all!-Iain

Hi to all, from Lower Franconia on the River Main in Germany!There has been a minor change in plans for the timing of the factory tour.Originally the tour was to occur after a lunch at the factory, which was starting at 11:45 AM. It turns out that on the 16th, there is now a factory-wiide vote occuring at 1 PM which will shut car production down in the afternoon. So the tour will have to begin at 11:45 (11:30 would be preferable, if we are all there) and the lunch will follow the tour at a little after 1 PM.So we have to make an extra effort to be there on time, and preferably a little earlier than originally planned, so the tour will not have to be cut short.In reality this should not affect things too much, other than it might be a good idea to have a slightly bigger breakfast in Strasbourg the morning of the 16th ;)For those of you who can read this before the tour, so much the better, and for those who are now offline and already over here, I will spread the word the night of the 15th, first hand.It is a good thing that I gave my friend´s email address to Sabine, as it is good to know about this change in advance.

Edited by Mike T

On another note, I took an 84 HP smart cabriolet for a test drive today into the hills around Würzburg and for a little blast on the Autobahn. This one was a pulse with the wide tires and paddle shifters. The one I drove in Victoria and area had the turbo engine but only the floor shifter and skinny tires. The pulse is a perfect combination of handling and speed! The turbo and BRABUS are needed so much in North America! I will ask at the factory whether we will be getting either the 84 HP or BRABUS....I do not know whether I will get an answer.......

Thanks for the e-postcard.I'm curious about the factory-wide vote that will shut down the factory for an afternoon. Maybe not enough cheese and pate served with the baguettes at coffee break?Attach a handle to the roof of a Brabus before you return and say it's your suitcase.

Au revoir mon amis!!! :waving: I'm off to meet the SMARTINGS and then will be driving to Toronto to catch the Air France to Paris and then on to Strasbourgh :yahoo: Will be back in a couple of weeks....

Hope you guys and gals are having a good time. I wish I could be there with y'all!tWhile you're at it, find out where my 1352 is... keep an eye out for a white/silver/black leather Passion coming down the line :D

Au revoir mon amis!!! :waving: I'm off to meet the SMARTINGS and then will be driving to Toronto to catch the Air France to Paris and then on to Strasbourgh :yahoo: Will be back in a couple of weeks....

Is this one of our Board of Directors meetings and the tab will arrive at our doorstep in a few months? :o It's great to see our club meets happening in exotic locations. Have a great trip!!