Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Rog Man

Two way radio install?

25 posts in this topic

Someone on this forum besides myself must be a licensed radio operator or atleast have a CB in their smart ???ANYONE????I love my smart and i am totally perplexed as to where and how to mount two way radio gear in this car without it looking horrible or causing grief for a passenger??Even more perplexing is where to mount an antenna??I am open to any suggestions or pics of already installed radio gear? :sniffle: Any suggestions would be appreciated? :thanx:

Well - for a CB you might want to check out one of those handset types Cobra sells with everything in the mike.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/f...t_id=5&id=1

Most of us use hand held FRS and GMRS on rallies and such.

Antennas are a challenge as there isn't much mounting area that you can get a ground plane happening (I am trying to figure that one out for the XM radio). The body panels are plastic though so you could mount the antenna under them - or if really ambitious get a roll of copper foil tape and turn the panels into an antenna. You do have two mount points in the back to put a rack on for whip antennas but interference with the doors might be an issue.

Power isn't an issue - check out the how to section -

http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p?p=71700#71700

There is also some space under the seats and under the dash - if you can get a remote type device with a smaller control unit.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,

Cameron

Well - for a CB you might want to check out one of those handset types Cobra sells with everything in the mike.http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/f...t_id=5&id=1Most of us use hand held FRS and GMRS on rallies and such.Antennas are a challenge as there isn't much mounting area that you can get a ground plane happening (I am trying to figure that one out for the XM radio). The body panels are plastic though so you could mount the antenna under them - or if really ambitious get a roll of copper foil tape and turn the panels into an antenna. You do have two mount points in the back to put a rack on for whip antennas but interference with the doors might be an issue. Power isn't an issue - check out the how to section -http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p?p=71700#71700There is also some space under the seats and under the dash - if you can get a remote type device with a smaller control unit.Good luck with it!Cheers,Cameron

I have no need or want for a cb i was just using it as a reference for radio mounting, but i do appreciate the input. I can always use a groundplaneless antenna but stillwhere to mount it??? The big question is still where to put a high power dual band amateur rig in this awesome but ever so small little car?I never thought about the remote head unit type radios, thats a definate possibility? :dunno: I still can't believe nobody has done this yet to a smart???

There is the member unixgeek here who is a ham radio operator. I don't know if he has put a radio in his smart yet, but you can pm him to ask questions. He is not really active here, so if he doesn't answer, send me a pm and I will give you his email address.MG

I have no need or want for a cb i was just using it as a reference for radio mounting' date=' but i do appreciate the input. I can always use a groundplaneless antenna but stillwhere to mount it??? The big question is still where to put a high power dual band amateur rig in this awesome but ever so small little car?

I never thought about the remote head unit type radios, thats a definate possibility? :dunno:

I still can't believe nobody has done this yet to a smart???[/quote']

Hmm plastic bodies make it tough to get a good ground plane(Saturn owner). You used to be able to get metal tape (for folks with Vettes and RV's) to get around this problem. If you are thinking HF then a glass through is worthless, tried them hard to match and send/receive is dreadful. But if you use a magnet mount you have a new problem if you have a cabriolet or glass roof maybe on the tridon bar?

Larsen make some ok commercial grade glass mounts for VHF/UHF, mounting probably on that rear 1/4 window. You might be able to fit one of those L shaped trunk/cowel mounts just at the base of the windshield up front but not sure if you will hit metal to get your ground plane. But I don't like the kink this type of mount puts on your coax.

Otherwise? Metal bracket off the rear bumper if you can find metal under there to bolt into hmm come to think of it I've seen hitch kits for smarts so maybe put something into a reciever hitch like this,

http://www.blazingtech.net/mcart40/index.c...de=3&cat=13

These might be a bit over the top,

http://www.telescopingmast.com/lwseriesmasts.html

Good article, not much help for us though.

http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html

As for radios? Almost want to suggest a handheld especially if you have a cabriolet then you can take it with you when parked...

Kevin

I have no need or want for a cb i was just using it as a reference for radio mounting' date=' but i do appreciate the input. I can always use a groundplaneless antenna but stillwhere to mount it??? The big question is still where to put a high power dual band amateur rig in this awesome but ever so small little car?

I never thought about the remote head unit type radios, thats a definate possibility? :dunno:

I still can't believe nobody has done this yet to a smart???[/quote']

Hmm plastic bodies make it tough to get a good ground plane(Saturn owner). You used to be able to get metal tape (for folks with Vettes and RV's) to get around this problem. If you are thinking HF then a glass through is worthless, tried them hard to match and send/receive is dreadful. But if you use a magnet mount you have a new problem if you have a cabriolet or glass roof maybe on the tridon bar?

Larsen make some ok commercial grade glass mounts for VHF/UHF, mounting probably on that rear 1/4 window. You might be able to fit one of those L shaped trunk/cowel mounts just at the base of the windshield up front but not sure if you will hit metal to get your ground plane. But I don't like the kink this type of mount puts on your coax.

Otherwise? Metal bracket off the rear bumper if you can find metal under there to bolt into hmm come to think of it I've seen hitch kits for smarts so maybe put something into a reciever hitch like this,

http://www.blazingtech.net/mcart40/index.c...de=3&cat=13

These might be a bit over the top,

http://www.telescopingmast.com/lwseriesmasts.html

Good article, not much help for us though.

http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html

As for radios? Almost want to suggest a handheld especially if you have a cabriolet then you can take it with you when parked...

Kevin

I can always use a no groundplane antenna, I would prefer to not be able to see the antenna while i am driving the car, I was thinking about mounting it on the passenger side in the same spot the car radio antenna is on the driver side, of coarse some modification will be required to the plastic triangle that is there.. I will probably go with a remote head unit type dual band radio and mount the transciever under the passenger seat. I would like to get another plastic triangle first just in case i completely botch this up???But i am still open to any input on this matter. Thanx ...

Isn't there a warning somewhere in the owner manual about NOT using a radio transmitter INSIDE the smart? I can only assume that there is a possible interference concern with the computer.

Isn't there a warning somewhere in the owner manual about NOT using a radio transmitter INSIDE the smart? I can only assume that there is a possible interference concern with the computer.

Granted i did not read every page in the manual. I only flipped through it but i don't recall seeing anything about it, besides the actual RF will be outside of the vehicle eminating from the antenna?? Perhaps i will glance the manual again just to be sure?

Yeah problem with a no ground plane antenna is that it doesn't work as well. Granted with the smart your ground plane options are pretty limited, guess just the tridon cell basically. Dunno but something about a Hustler beercan for HF off the back really turns my crank though....

Saw some nice but expensive dual banders with remote face plates at Radioworld yesterday,

http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74

Btw not to hijack your thread but Radioworld has a pretty good deal on PDF based GPS' right now. I picked up a Garmin iQue M3 for $249 and that has a full mounting kit plus the detailed map for all of North America. If you aren't into PDA's this might not be your cup of tea but once loaded up with a 4gb SD card I could run the entire detailed map of NA plus the world basemap and still had 2.4+ GB free for MP3's and pix.

http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74

Kevin

Our Saturns had that warning in their owners manuals. Can't say I've had a problem yet but I'm only running HF plus my 'company' radio which is UHF.Kevin

Yeah problem with a no ground plane antenna is that it doesn't work as well. Granted with the smart your ground plane options are pretty limited, guess just the tridon cell basically. Dunno but something about a Hustler beercan for HF off the back really turns my crank though....Saw some nice but expensive dual banders with remote face plates at Radioworld yesterday, http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74Btw not to hijack your thread but Radioworld has a pretty good deal on PDF based GPS' right now. I picked up a Garmin iQue M3 for $249 and that has a full mounting kit plus the detailed map for all of North America. If you aren't into PDA's this might not be your cup of tea but once loaded up with a 4gb SD card I could run the entire detailed map of NA plus the world basemap and still had 2.4+ GB free for MP3's and pix.http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74Kevin

Yes well i am not overly fond of antennas on a vehicle, the closer to invisible they are the better, for the most part i don't need high gain antennas as i only need to hit a repeater and in town thats not usually a problem, out on the open road it is usually simplex and car to car , so a small 1/4 wave would probably be adequate for me. i only plan on using 2 meters and 70 cm's in the car so a big ugly antenna is not needed. i know this probably brands me as a horrible amateur not wanting a porcupine for a vehicle (a rolling antenna factory) but these two bands are more than adequate for a mobile in my opinion. now all i need to do is find a wrote of smart to experiment on or atleast get the cosmetic triangle to cut up to try and mount the antenna.

Yeah problem with a no ground plane antenna is that it doesn't work as well. Granted with the smart your ground plane options are pretty limited, guess just the tridon cell basically. Dunno but something about a Hustler beercan for HF off the back really turns my crank though....Saw some nice but expensive dual banders with remote face plates at Radioworld yesterday, http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74Btw not to hijack your thread but Radioworld has a pretty good deal on PDF based GPS' right now. I picked up a Garmin iQue M3 for $249 and that has a full mounting kit plus the detailed map for all of North America. If you aren't into PDA's this might not be your cup of tea but once loaded up with a 4gb SD card I could run the entire detailed map of NA plus the world basemap and still had 2.4+ GB free for MP3's and pix.http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=184_74Kevin

Yes well i am not overly fond of antennas on a vehicle, the closer to invisible they are the better, for the most part i don't need high gain antennas as i only need to hit a repeater and in town thats not usually a problem, out on the open road it is usually simplex and car to car , so a small 1/4 wave would probably be adequate for me. i only plan on using 2 meters and 70 cm's in the car so a big ugly antenna is not needed. i know this probably brands me as a horrible amateur not wanting a porcupine for a vehicle (a rolling antenna factory) but these two bands are more than adequate for a mobile in my opinion. now all i need to do is find a wrote of smart to experiment on or atleast get the cosmetic triangle to cut up to try and mount the antenna.
What! You don't want to be the first 'smart' antenna farm? Yeah call me old school.. :smirk: Wouldn't you be better off with a handheld then or you need more than 5w to hit your local repeaters? Mount the holster somewhere close at hand and you can't get more 'invisible' than with the rubber duckie antenna plus maybe a passive repeater on the glass if Larsen still makes them.Kevin

I already have a cell phone and an iPod the last thing i need is to be totin a handheld around.No i want something permanant in the car, anothe option i found is to remove the drawer in the dash and mount a two way there...I'll figure it out eventually......maybe :dunno:

There is room behind the seats and under the passenger seat as well for gear - under the seat is nice because it is out of sight. Also up under the passenger side dash there is a pretty good open spot - some folks have mounted car computers there. Might work for a remote unit.Another area you might consider is the rear spoiler if you have coupe - the place the third brake light mounts. It is basically hollow inside and made of plastic so fairly transparent - radio-wise - have been considering it for the XM antenna mounting spot. Cheers,Cameron

I too have radio gear I'd like to put in the smart. The metal back of the pass seat would probably do for a ground plane. Mind you, I wouldn't run alot of power for the sake of the fellow rider. There is also a screw going into the tridon in the side mirror area. It may be possible to put a Larsen bracket in that spot. There are also some stealth antennas advertised on ebay but may be limited in effectiveness and probably expensive. They load the front and back licence plates. For now I just use HT's and live with it.

Screw behind the mirror goes through the plastic panel - fits into a recess (has a shoulder on the bolt) - be a bit tricky to attach anyting to it. If you can stand to loose the standard radio antenna there is an extra screw there, a hole in the panel and you could run a hunk of sheet metal up to the panel bolt (behind the panel) - that would give you a pretty solid mount and no slicing or dicing of the car required.The floor pan is steel as well - that is about the only large flat hunk in the car.Cheers,Cameron

Screw behind the mirror goes through the plastic panel - fits into a recess (has a shoulder on the bolt) - be a bit tricky to attach anyting to it. If you can stand to loose the standard radio antenna there is an extra screw there, a hole in the panel and you could run a hunk of sheet metal up to the panel bolt (behind the panel) - that would give you a pretty solid mount and no slicing or dicing of the car required.The floor pan is steel as well - that is about the only large flat hunk in the car.Cheers,Cameron

Well i was thinking about putting a small 1/4 wave in the same spot the radio antenna is only on the passenger side???

Driver's side - you can always put one of those interior strip antennas in to replace the FM one too.If you can use an antenna that lays flat there is some room under the front panel between the vents as well. Space is a very tight commodity on a smart.Cheers,Cameron

Driver's side - you can always put one of those interior strip antennas in to replace the FM one too.If you can use an antenna that lays flat there is some room under the front panel between the vents as well. Space is a very tight commodity on a smart.Cheers,Cameron

I'll figger out something, one way or another that little smart is gonna be on the air :biglaugh:

I'll figger out something, one way or another that little smart is gonna be on the air :biglaugh:

SMRT Radio Edmonton, Look out CBC :-)MG

I've talked to radio installers who said that yanking the drawer and doing a dual din installation using the drawer would be a snap. They can manufacture a facade pretty quickly to make it look like it belongs.I used to have a CB in my Baja. I had a 14' antennae on the beast and an illegal signal booster to boot. If I was going to run an antennae on the car, I'd look at the air intake. You could mount a bracket through the intake and brace it against the inside and outside without damaging anything. A long antennae would need a second secure point, and that could be fixed through the plastic quarter window.Running it throught the air intake would simplify your wiring issues enormously. You might want to look at modifying the intake to compensate for any reduction in airflow that might occur. Something as simple as delipping or one of the cool intake cover mods that evilution has on his site.Now then, if I had RC toy comments with my Baja, you can imagine how many more would happen with a smart!I hope your ForTwo never suffers a 10-42 good buddy!

Think you can actually get a double DIN conversion facia - can't find it right now - was on the site.It involves some slicing and dicing though.Cheers,Cameron

My big question is: what type of 2m/440cm antennae to install. It appears Comet has a window lip mount, but I am not sure which one to use. 73s, N8PGX

We don't have our car yet, so I can't look. but I would think one could pick up a ground and make an easy off/on mount on the tail gate. The Frame and floor pan of the Smart should tune close to 2MTRS/440 and will make a good reflector. :) The ground is the key here, and use a 5/8 wave antenna. Try to borrow a good "Bird Meter" and tweek down the VSWR.A2Jack.

smartsk88er of this forum has a CB radio installed in his smart. He made a mount that screws into the rear rack threaded hole (you can put a tow eye in there, too).-Iain