OklahomaSmart

2002 Petrol Smart Converted Into A 2006 Diesel Smart

29 posts in this topic

Hi. It’s been along time since anybody Commented on this post. I am here in Canada and I have a 2006 TDI smart car. So I thought it was very cool what you did.  Thanks for documenting what you did. These are great little cars. I hope you still have yours.

On 5/25/2007 at 2:14 AM, OklahomaSmart said:

Hello again everyone!Much thanks for all of your interest. Honestly, at first I was reluctant to post my story, I never dreamed it would be so well received. After much thought I figured it was best to share the adventure with other enthusiasts, just in case there is someone else out there wanting to do the same thing. I should say this, apart from all of the positive support I have received here at ‘The Great’ Clubsmartcar site, there were also plenty of people in the Smart community abroad that tried to discourage me along the way. Many in Europe said that converting a Smart from Gas to Diesel was crazy, unfeasible, and several Smart Service Centers around the world even said the idea was not possible. In hindsight the negative advice only made me want to do the project even more so. The costs of the venture were truly reasonable and offset with the educational nature of the project. Because it was a hands on experience I now know my own car inside-out and can service it myself without having to worry about a lack of Smart centers in the States. This adventure was certainly exciting and as I said before I would do it again in a heart beat! Really, the best part of the whole experience has been all of the amazing friends and contacts I have made around the world. In fact, I have already made several neat friends here on this forum. I should make note of my biggest supporters and helpers from across the pond. Of all the people and places, the Maybach headquarters in London helped me the most (yup, you read that right). Every time I called they gracefully provided me with whatever I requested, even 50+ pages of wiring diagrams and schematics for all the gas and diesel variants. At one point they told me to “be careful what you ask for, at Maybach you get exactly what you request down to the most acute detail“. I also send high regards to the North Vancouver Smart Parts department.In the end, all I can say to those that have a dream and a vision.. chase it, never give up, at some point there will be a reward!! Smart cars rock!Stay tuned… I am currently in the planning and logistical stages of importing a Smart Crossblade… also strongly considering making the 1st diesel conversion to a Crossblade.Thanks again to all of you for your support and encouragement, it means a lot me!

OK, after reading the entire thread this stuck out to me like a flashing red light.....did anyone else notice it or not and can anyone get these pages???

the Maybach headquarters in London helped me the most (yup, you read that right). Every time I called they gracefully provided me with whatever I requested, even 50+ pages of wiring diagrams and schematics for all the gas and diesel variants.

I haven't searched for them yet but will be shortly......any and all shop related paperwork for this car is impossible to get our hands on it seems.....nothing.   So if we can figure out what he had and how to get a set of it, that would be great.

Anyone...?

Maybe send him a PM and see if he still has the info and would be willing to sell, copy or even post on this forum.  My understanding is Maybach ceased being a stand alone brand and became a trim level for the S class in 2013.

Nigel

Just now, Nigel said:

Maybe send him a PM and see if he still has the info and would be willing to sell, copy or even post on this forum.  My understanding is Maybach ceased being a stand alone brand and became a trim level for the S class in 2013.

Nigel

He hasn't visited this site in many many years it seems.....but I will send a PM and hope for the best.