Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eqwalker

Driver reviews at the tours

188 posts in this topic

I would like to hear more about what people think that have had an opportunity to drive one of the Smarts at one of the tour locations. Maybe we can start getting more people leave comments here as each city is visited and those people get a chance to drive one. My closest city won't be till Oct. So I am anxious to hear what others are saying that already have drove one.

As I mentioned in another thread, I got a email invitation several days ago to see the Smart at Walter's MB in Riverside, California (a future Smart dealer). This was not part of the regular "road tour" published on smart.com, and I'm sure I got the invitation because I had paid the $99 reservation fee awhile back and I live fairly close to the dealer. This event was scheduled to run from 3 to 8pm today, and my wife and I got there about 7pm, a little late because of work and traffic. Anyway, this was a very good way to see the car as there were only a few other people there. I saw 4 cars available for test drives with no wait at all. I was able to take a car out onto the local roads with a Smart person in the passenger seat. I got a convertible and my wife drove a hardtop, and the drive was probably about a mile long. When we got back to the dealership, we switched cars and did the course again. Afterwards we looked over the "cutaway" car on static display and picked up some snacks and drinks. The Smart staff were friendly and knowledgable, but obviously a little tired! I was told that they were at another Los Angeles Mercedes dealer the day before for a similar event.This was the first time I had seen a Smart in person and I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of interior room (I'm 6' 3" tall) :doublethumb: The only negative I noticed was the hesitant shifting, but I was expecting this from what I had read here. This was in automatic mode and unfortunately I didn't think to try manual shifting. But my overall impression: I want one! Stan

Thanks for the comments Stan. It is reports like this that I like to see and hear about so as what I can expect to find and also try when my turn finally arrives. Keep those reports/reviews coming....

Here is the link to the Union Tribune Article about the SmartCar preview at Mercedes Benz of San Diego.

Union Tribune Article

I attended the preview they had 4 2007 European Smart ForTwo for people to test drive. The line was pretty long and took about 1 hour 30 minutes to get through. The cars were fantastic and as everyone has said the transmissions will take some getting use to overall a great experience was had by all.

Well I did my final test drive today in San Diego out of the three Southern California locations and got a good idea how the new ForTwo drives. Overall I’m very impressed. I’ve got the opportunity to test drive the Passion and “Cabrio” models. The pure was not available for test drive. Out of the two, the Passion hard top was my favorite out of the two models. During my final test drive I got a chance to use the paddle-shifting feature. At first, it felt bit sluggish but after a few test drives, I got the hang of it. It’s not like the typical tektronic shifting like in “saabs, lexus, and porsches” where you keep the gas on the pedal while shifting. When shifting the shift-mode in the Smart you must slowing release the foot on the gas pedal before shifting in a higher or lower gear. I never got a chance to get it on the highway but was told by the "smart" staff that it drives well at freeway speeds (65-80) easily. During my 4 minutes around the block test drive experience, I found the handling of the Smart similar to the yaris but more precise and responsive when turning around corners. There was great visibility while driving with no “blind spots”. At 6’2, I had ample of head and legroom. One complaint the models tested didn’t have an armrest but will be likely be an upgrade if available. Hope it becomes a standard feature in the 08 models. The air conditioning cooled off the inside in little time and the sound systems sounded OK. I got a chance to view the white/silver color option of the smart that had a nice satin/pearl finish. The metallic blue/silver is still my favorite out of all the colors but may also consider the black/silver version of second option. My overall impression of the Smart is the superior quality at the offered price. I wish they would bring in the turbo and or CDI version but can’t complain considering the improvements and decent gas mileage the 451 will offer.

post-2937-1181542476.jpg

post-1-1181542476.jpg

post-1-1181542477.jpg

post-1-1181542478_thumb.jpg

post-1-1181542479.jpg

post-1-1181542480.jpg

post-1-1181542481.jpg

post-1-1181542482.jpg

post-1-1181542483.jpg

post-1-1181542484_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics, runner33. Especially the things you don't see often, like the underside, pedals, under the hood, etc. I won't be able to go to a road test until September when it comes to Portland so I clamoring for as much as I can get.

Yes, thanks for your review and the great pics… including a view of the under chassis. You’re definitely a man of details to have taken a pic of that. :doublethumb:

Yes, thanks runner33 for the pics and the comments. It is good to hear first hand from the ones that have had a chance to touch and drive the cars and get the real impressions that the car gives. Like gotwavs mentioned above, since my time won't get here till Oct., I am anxious to hear all the information I can get so that when my time arrives, I will already know some of the things that everyone has mentioned and be sure to give them a test. Keep the comments coming!

Ouch, October.:whoa: Now I don't feel so bad about having to wait till September.

Yes, thanks for your review and the great pics… including a view of the under chassis. You’re definitely a man of details to have taken a pic of that. :doublethumb:

You can view more images from my temp gallery site. See www link from my profile.

Holy moly, you've made my day! Now I almost feel like I've been to a road show. Cool gallery. :yahoo:

Runner33, thanks for the review and what is the actual link to your other pixs? Thanks, Regina

I went to the smart road tour in Los Angeles held in Melrose.

The event brought alot of people and curious on-lookers.

All day, the line for the test drive was not long. The test drive around the block was short but it sure validated why this vehicle is necessary. Melrose has alot of small residential streets and tight parking spots. Surely, a tight squeeze for an average size car, definitely not a problem for a smart.

I'm pretty much sold after seeing and test driving the 2008 model. I can't wait.

Click here for pics from the Los Angeles event in Melrose

So do they make a "manual" Smart, I mean one that has a clutch or are they all automatics?They are to be here in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks, I can hardly wait!

None of them has a clutch pedal, but they all have a clutch....

I was thinking that these tours that Smart is having will give us late drivers a chance to see how well the car holds up to the daily abuse of "getting in and getting out" of the car. I won't be able to test drive till Oct., but I look upon that as a chance to see how well the interior (specifically the seats) has held up to the constant use of the people at the previous tours (unless Smart changes out some of the interior between tours if it is showing excessive wear). Any comments?

Good point! But if I were Smart USA, I'd make darn sure that allthe show vehicles were in tip-top shape. This is their big, promotionalchance. :cheer: