Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eqwalker

Driver reviews at the tours

188 posts in this topic

Thanks, we like it, and it meets the "smart" criterion of maximum internal space in a minimal external size. IT is 30 cm shorter than the car it replaces, but WAY bigger inside.

Schmart,Thanks for the review and pixs. I was really looking forward to hearing about your impressions of the 451 since you drive the 450 everyday. It's nice to know that you have a good opinion of it. However, I was sorry to read that you agree with me about the orangey red color description. MB really f#@% up that color. Sorry to offend some folks but I think they did. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Bev's review as well.Have fun day,Regina

Razorback,Your review and endless photo album of the 451 was very appreciated. If you ever get a chance to put it in a slide show. Let me know because that would be a nice touch. I bet your videos turned out nice but I was unable to view them. Anyway, was that red interior smart a Pure? Very nice fabric for sure! BTW, I never thought to pull down the viser so it was nice to see a pix. It looked like you could hold business cards at each corner of the viser while in the down position. Is that true? Also, I think the 6 CD holder is a bit bulky so I don't plan to get this option because I'm more comfortable holding my CD's in a small flip through album. I like the bigger cup holder option but it seems weird that it wasn't incorporated in the design of the 2 cup holder that they now have. But I guess if you install a lot of under dash items a large/tall cup won't fit in the two cup holder so it makes sense that they decided to add a swing arm cup holder. That does swing out and go back...correct?Well thanks again,Regina

Razorback,

Your review and endless photo album of the 451 was very appreciated. If you ever get a chance to put it in a slide show. Let me know because that would be a nice touch. I bet your videos turned out nice but I was unable to view them.

Ok I'll try and make something up for you in the near future. I'll let you know when it's done

Anyway, was that red interior smart a Pure? Very nice fabric for sure!

No, the red interior came from a Pure cabrio but I'm sure that all models would have similar colored red interiors if you chose red. The red color of the interior is also very similar to the orange-red of the exterior so the red you see in the picture is not exactly the same.

BTW, I never thought to pull down the viser so it was nice to see a pix. It looked like you could hold business cards at each corner of the viser while in the down position. Is that true?

Going back and looking at the pictures I cannot say that it does for sure but it certianly looks like it could.

Also, I think the 6 CD holder is a bit bulky so I don't plan to get this option because I'm more comfortable holding my CD's in a small flip through album. I like the bigger cup holder option but it seems weird that it wasn't incorporated in the design of the 2 cup holder that they now have. But I guess if you install a lot of under dash items a large/tall cup won't fit in the two cup holder so it makes sense that they decided to add a swing arm cup holder. That does swing out and go back...correct?

Yes you are correct the larger fin-type cup holder swinges back and forth to support larger cups.

Well thanks again,

Regina

Anytime.

Here is Bev's (Mrs. SCHMART) review from yesterdays smart tour drive.....Oh happy days are here again! I feel like a proud parent at their child's dance recital.....and "yes, that's my SCHMART car...in the front row"!! It gave me great joy to not only see the crowded waiting line....but for the crowded waiting line to see US...pulling up in our own little baby!! Robert let me out as he parked SCHMART....and then...let the games begin with the crowd's questions! (I'm starting to reconsider a career change...people thought I was the Smart rep!!) On one of the hottest days.....in the most brutal heat... waiting for a hour in line (with everyone holding sun umbrellas) for my test drive, I can honestly say...IT WAS TRULY WORTH THE WAIT! And what an impressive dog & pony show. The Smart reps had their act together with a Smart crash cage demo, plenty of cold bottled water, smoothies, Smart brochures, and an air-conditioned trailer equipped with Smart music, fantastic advertisements, and safety videos. As I moved further up in line and stepped on deck, I felt the exhileration of a kid waiting for a ride in an amusement park. Finally....I'm on board....I'm next....and here pulls up a new Smart blue (like a shiny saphire stone colored ring!) coupe. Personal preference, though..is the black. As I sat in the driver's seat, the Smart rep kindly accomodated my needs with suggesting I store my purse in the front dash/shelf....which fit just perfectly (where we now have an airbag in Schmart). I JUST LOVED working the paddle shifters....almost moreso than driving automatic..(liked the fact that they're on the wheel...more comfortable...just like a ten-speed bike)! Enjoyed the cushy ride....seemed less bumpy than SCHMART (sorry SCHMART!). Although the new is without turbo, I didn't feel short-changed...I guess those extra horses make up for it. I do like the air vents on the new (sorry again SCHMART!)....they just have a more solid (built-in) appearance. I suppose it's a double-edged sword. I love the new performance but feel absolutely spoiled from the bling-bling of SCHMART.....what's a girl to do!! Oh well, guess I'll just have to have both. After all, a woman CAN have her cake and eat it too! :doublethumb:

Well alright Bev!! Nice review and I'm glad we feel the same way about the 451 and SCHMART. Since you are already riding in a pimped out smart, what type of black 451 and mods do you want? Do tell! Regina

Wow...where do I start??! If I had my wish....I guess 1st choice would be Brabus model...full bling...including suede dash! Actually, I like the custom two-tone cream and gray leather interior (Grand style edition)....heated, of course! I like the wider wheels for the way they look and handle. Mandatory requirement.....got to have a robust stereo system (451 does have speakers in doors), cruise control, beefier horn, rose bud holder, arm rests, navigation panel, and security alarm system! Oh yes....can we throw in complimentary Smart luggage?! Bev

Nice review! I hope to try one in Seattle next Wednesday.

For the few people who could not open/view the AVI videos that I had taken at the VA Bch Road Show I converted the files to WMV and the file sizes are smaller so if you have Microsoft Windows Media Player then you shouldn't have any problem viewing the converted files.

Link: ftp://smart:@a.servegame.com

The video files are located in folder: Road Tour Va Bch VA Aug 24 2007VideoWMV Format

Hope this helps and thanks for letting me know that you could not view the AVI files. Depending on your web browser set up you may have to right click the file name and "save as.." to view it. There are several different ways to view a video file with web browsers, video programs etc.. The possible pc configurations are mind bending. If you continue to have problems watching the videos then click on my name to get to my profile and PM me a message and I'll help you to view the videos.

For the few people who could not open/view the AVI videos that I had taken at the VA Bch Road Show I converted the files to WMV and the file sizes are smaller so if you have Microsoft Windows Media Player then you shouldn't have any problem viewing the converted files.

Thanks for posting the images and videos. I didn't have any trouble playing the earlier versions, but the WMV's have much better compression. (Using Mac OS X + QuickTime)You did a good job of capturing the event and I appreciate seeing the convertible top in action, not to mention Schmart in action.Scott

This lady got lured in by the freebies....story.

And now my rebuttal is posted with here story. :tremble: Why do so many people seem to think an SUV is safe when they have the highest accident rate and fatality rate among auto segments.Besides who wants to arrive safely and conservatively at their death bed. Avoiding the accident with a light good handling car is a very real possibility. You don't need all that iron if you avoid the accident in the first place.It is just too bad that Mercedes decided to bring the car down scale to compete with the Geo Metro crowd and not the 2 seat Mercedes it was.

Before reading this review please understand that I am an enthusiast and bought the Smart ForTwo because I thought it was great and loved the car. Not because it could get great mileage at any cost. I want great economy in a package that is fun to drive and that people will prefer to drive on trips, much like my Smart ForTwo 450. With Brabus suspension, GPS, and Remapped computer for better efficiency and performance.-----So here goes with my review---I just got back from driving the new Smart and I am not impressed. Hard to believe but the suspension is more mushy than the 450 was and as a result the shifting is even slower. (As I remember it from my stock car)As for power, well it has better power than any of the diesels but not more than a stock Gas 450 Smart. So the larger engine seems to me to have no benefit other than cost of manufacture. The engine and drive train is rougher than the 450. But looking at the price you get what you pay for. That assumes there is a touch of reality in the pricing that SmartUSA is pushing. If not for the lack of a turbo you could spend the extra money with Flying Tiger and make a similar car from the new Smart. You just need new suspension, and some sound deadening.But you would still have a Mitsubishi drive train and Mexico assembly. Two unknowns that I think I would rather someone else sort out. As with any new auto plant Smart is sure to have some issues the first couple years. But again that helps to bring down the way too important price to the American market.As for the additional room it seems to be in the passenger compartment. So unless you are 6'4" it was an unnecessary use of space. I am 6’2” and had plenty of room in the old car. Better they should have put the room into the luggage area so we can use the capacity. The Smarts passenger foot well seems to have an inch more space and that is a useful area to add for long legged passengers. You could get that on the 450 by contouring the foam passenger block if needed. Or you could mess it up with a subwoofer like I did and lose a 1/2". ;-) It was very interesting seeing our slightly lowered Smart parked right next to the 451. The 451 looks narrower and taller and more top heavy. I like the look of the new headlamps and have hopes they work as well as they look.On the road handling seemed good but much like a stock 450 Smart with a bit softer springs. In a quick lane change it had noticeable body roll but only slightly more so than Stock Smart 450. So in this area I think they are comparable which is to say both are too soft for best operation. Summary --Based on my test drive I will be staying with my Smart at least until they come out with the new 451 Turbo edition. Hopefully we will get the handling and suspension of the Brabus at the same time. But for now the Smart is still better than most of what is out there. But I really wish America got to sample the Smart 450 first to see how good it can be.I understand that the Mitsubishi drive train is cheaper and easier to manufacture than the Smart but I think Smart has shifted the market focus from an enthusiast car to basic transportation. America does not really need an updated Geo Metro. It does need an enthusiast car with excellent efficiency.

Thanks for your review, SmartieUSA. It's nice to here the reviews from the 450 owners.

But you would still have a Mitsubishi drive train and Mexico assembly.

Mexico assembly? huh?The engine is built in Japan and shipped to France for fitting to the French-made car at Hambach, Lorraine.I agree that the new engine seemed under-whelming, power-wise. I would be more interested in trying out the 98 HP Brabus version.Having written that, the gasoline Suprex engines were not renowned for exceptional reliability, especially the 599 cc versions, where their short lifespan was readlily apparent in the European forums. So I should think that the Mitsu engine will be an improved basis for that side of the ledger anyway, even if it is rougher in operation.

But you would still have a Mitsubishi drive train and Mexico assembly.

Mexico assembly? huh?The engine is built in Japan and shipped to France for fitting to the French-made car at Hambach, Lorraine.
Yes the existing cars are assembled in France but those factories are already at maximum capacity. All Smart factories are at maximum capacity andthus according to the early MB press release and an email I received from MB, "all North American cars will be assembled in a new Smart Assembly plant to be built in Mexico"This also gets around the US and Canada import tariffs of foreign built goods. The north American free trade agreement allows for low import duty on all vehicles assembled in North America including Mexico and Canada.So unless MB has changed this since sending me the email in Early June the plant should be in operation shortly.

Would you ccare to forward those emails to me?For the record, the Hambach lant has a nominal capacity of 200,000 units per annum and the most it has made in secent history is 120,000. So before setting up secondary plants, I would expect them to maximize existing capacity.Labour costs are minimal on the new car: a total of 4 hours is reqired for assembly. So the difference between paying a French worker to do that and a Mexican worker would be well under $100.All the suppliers are European (except the engine) so it would not make sense to ship the parts to Mexico.

Story can be found here.

In their story, it states "This would not be a car to take to Costco". I have taken our smart to Costco a few times (only about a mile from my house). We do get a lot of looks and people have asked how we would fit our purchases into the car. We just shop smartly and make sure not to bring how anything large!Tom

Would you ccare to forward those emails to me?For the record, the Hambach plant has a nominal capacity of 200,000 units per annum and the most it has made in secent history is 120,000. So before setting up secondary plants, I would expect them to maximize existing capacity.Labour costs are minimal on the new car: a total of 4 hours is reqired for assembly. So the difference between paying a French worker to do that and a Mexican worker would be well under $100.All the suppliers are European (except the engine) so it would not make sense to ship the parts to Mexico.

I agree with all of the above but tariffs for a vehicle assembled outside North America still remains high and this was the reason given for the plant. This is also the reason Honda and many of the Japanese vehicles are assembled in North America.I no longer have the press release emails. A web search only shows that MB was to have started this new plant. There has been no press since then and the MB sites for all countries, with languages I speak, show nothing about the any other assembly plant. So who knows if this idea was scrapped.

USA has tariffs? We don't have any significant ones on European cars....so far as I know, and haven't for a long time.

i'm 6'6" so i appreciate the extra passenger compartment room and it drives me nuts when auto makers shoot for average people of average height as their target and completely ignore building a flexible passenger compartment for a wider array of consumers.