Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eqwalker

Concerns on shortage of Smarts

48 posts in this topic

As some of you may already know, it looks like Smart will probably get more reservations than what cars are going to be delivered in 08. I believe 16,000 were slated to try to be sold. Someone correct me if I am in error. Also, I have read on another Smart website that it is possible that some Smart enthusiast's may not get a Smart, even though they put in their reservation early (I put mine in on Mar. 19th). Also, I have heard that the dealer will be able to sell the car at whatever price he wants to sell it at. I am really concerned that if this is the case, that us early people that have shown such interest in the car and really want one may be hit will being asked to pay way above the suggested prices that we are seeing on Smart's website. It will really be dis-hearting to have waited so long only to either not be able to afford the inflated price or not even be called at all by a dealer and offered one. Also, you may be told that here is the car that we have with these options and it will be either a "take it or leave it" choice. Has anyone heard or read anything like this or have any comments? Am I getting scared for no reason? Oh, I did email SmartUSA about it. I'll let everyone know if they come back with any comments. I really don't think that they will say much at this time.

First of all you are being driven to excessive worry by the usual scare motivator, unfounded rumour. It is sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction especially when there are sickos out there that get their jollies by starting the rumours and then sit back and watch them ferment. Oh....and the two words that will lend honesty and credibilty to the U.S. introduction and long term survival are easy to remember .... Roger Penske. Now, forget the rest of the crap floating around out there.

Ah, SmartUSA did respond to my email rather quickly. I am glad to hear that no dealer will be allowed to charge over the sticker price. Although, it could change on their website as stated below. Here is their reply:Dear smart Enthusiast, smart USA is dedicated to superb customer service. As a result of this dedication, no authorized smart USA dealer will be allowed to charge over the sticker price for a new smart fortwo. However, please keep in mind that the prices shown on our website are tentative and may be changed before the 2008 launch. The price does not include taxes, license, destination charges, and other fees that come standard whenever purchasing a new vehicle. Thank you for you interest in smart USA.

Also, I have heard that the dealer will be able to sell the car at whatever price he wants to sell it at. I am really concerned that if this is the case, that us early people that have shown such interest in the car and really want one may be hit will being asked to pay way above the suggested prices that we are seeing on Smart's website.

Equwalker, I did ask the staff from the recent road show in Irvine about price increase. They (smartusa) confirmed that those prices will be the same as advertised. Pure starting at $12, Passion at $15 ... They also said that 16000-20000 smarts will be delivered throughout the year starting in 08. Steve

On one hand, the possibility of having to wait longer for my smart is disheartening. But on the other hand, it's pretty cool to think that America could possibly sell out of smarts in the first shipment.

Sure would be great to prove all the naysayers wrong!ALL Americans don't want to drive SUV's!!

No, they sure don't. I, for one, think they can't get the Smart's here soon enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this statement enforceable: "no authorized smart USA dealer will be allowed to charge over the sticker price"? I though from the early MINI days when dealers were charging "market adjustments" all over the place people complained to MINI USA and the response was that the manufacturer has little ability (legally or otherwise) to force dealers to sell at sticker. How is it different with Smart?

I agree, law or no law, there is an ethical dilemma facing dealers that are considering gouging, when cars are popular and in short supply. Yes, I hear that they actually do teach ethics in business courses ;).The other side of that dilemma - one that I've never seen happen - is that when a car is unpopular, it should be given away for 45 cents on the dollar.Oh but that's dumping (selling a product for less than it cost to make). So why then does the law sanction gouging/scalping, which is the opposite of dumping?Is scalping sports tickets or other tickets legal where you live?Any business that tacks on speculative or scalper value to a product should be boycotted.

The Scion has a "no hassle" price that the dealers areunder contract not to change!

Pretty sure its a law in the US that a manufacturer cannot force a dealer to sell at MSRP. That second letter stands for "suggested". I work for Harley-Davidson and we used to bring up the fact that some dealers charged thousands over MSRP. We were told that legally, there was nothing the company could do. Good thing is that now that the long waits for a bike are gone, some of those gouging dealers are reaping what theyve sown and losing business. Why buy from a dealer that ripped you off for years when the same product is available from a reputable dealer.Thing that bothers me with the supply/demand is that I put my reservation in within 5 minutes of getting the e-mail on March 19 but that doesnt put me in any real position of getting a car. I think they should at least go by reservation number order at each dealership. If they do start deliveries in February and I cant get mine till October or November, I'm gonna be pi$$ed.

I agree with you Paroyboy. I put my reservation in the same day as well. It would appear that the reservation number has no relation to your number either, or at least I can't make any sense out of it. There will probably be no dealers at all in my state, so the closest one to me will probably be Tulsa, OK. I hope they don't leave the "out of staters" out for last.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this statement enforceable: "no authorized smart USA dealer will be allowed to charge over the sticker price"? I though from the early MINI days when dealers were charging "market adjustments" all over the place people complained to MINI USA and the response was that the manufacturer has little ability (legally or otherwise) to force dealers to sell at sticker. How is it different with Smart?

In this case it is not the manufacturer that is setting the price, but the importer, or so I understand. Depending on how much control is maintained and what sort of contracts are signed, UAG may have legal ways of controlling gouging.My opinion, for what it is worth.MG

What leads you to believe that each dealer won't use the chronological order of the $99 paid by each potential customer to establish his own order of preference within the list of names provided by smart for his marketing area and that those people will be contacted accordingly? Don't you think it would be to everyone's benefit to have an orderly offering of the option to make an actual purchase order? Why would UAG want or tolerate some sort of random turkey shoot that would piss off everyone and start the introduction with a bad taste? This isn't ZAP you are dealing with. It seems to me that rather than worrying about the 'what if' scenerios, that attention be paid to having all your ducks in order when the call comes. i.e. Don't hum and haw and offer lame conditions like having to sell your existing car first, or not having financing in place, etc. The "I'll check with the wife and get back to you next week" probably won't, nor should it, hold your place for you. In other words, be ready to sign the sales agreement and cut a cheque when the phone rings.

Thought I read somewhere that the $99 reservation program does not offer a queue in line for a car. Read through the confirmation page but couldnt find it. Did see this which I didnt see before..... "there is no guarantee that the smart car offered to you will match the preferences you have indicated". ???My ducks are definitely in order for the car. I have $2000 set aside for a downpayment to order the car. Most of the rest is in a CD until december. If need be, the balance will go on a convenience check from my credit card. I am ready now!

The Scion has a "no hassle" price that the dealers are under contract not to change!

that doesn't mean they do. I was looking at an xB when they were first released in Florida, and I was quoted $25k from Courtesy Scion in Orlando :tremble: I called around when the Hot Lava xB was released, and that same dealer quoted me $32k for it... BASE.I actually told that salesperson to go f!!k himself. No thanks.

Really interesting as my dealer acted as though they couldn'ttouch the price. They tried to play with my trade in valuebut never messed with the MSRP.

The Scion has a "no hassle" price that the dealers are under contract not to change!

that doesn't mean they do. I was looking at an xB when they were first released in Florida, and I was quoted $25k from Courtesy Scion in Orlando :tremble: I called around when the Hot Lava xB was released, and that same dealer quoted me $32k for it... BASE.I actually told that salesperson to go f!!k himself. No thanks.
I had the same thing happen to me at the local Scion dealer, I gave them 3 seperate visits/chances to sell me a car. I can only hope the same wacko ECO freaks who torched all the HUMMER/SUV's at the dealers out west end up at the dealers who try to gouge the Smart cars the same way. Time will tell, I'm not getting any more worried about it until I'm at a dealer waiting for a set of keys and a sales order ;) I don't know if I can take the same revenge on a Smart saleman as the Scion rep. I locked the keys in the car on the sleazy bottom feeder. I'm sure they had a second set inside somewhere, but I at least got my 15 seconds of satisfaction as I drove off. :chairbang: Penske strikes me a much more upfront and 1/2 way ethical business model, they have alot more than just the sales of the Smart name to risk their reputation/moral conduct on.

Really interesting as my dealer acted as though they couldn'ttouch the price. They tried to play with my trade in valuebut never messed with the MSRP.

which dealer? Central Florida Toyota/Scion treated me fairly. Scion of Orlando wasn't openly trying to rip me off, but they were rather curt with me. Didn't try David Maus Scion though.

There are apparently about 20,000 US pre-orders now!Also, smart sold over 12,000 new fortwos last month in continental Europe. That's impressive, and probably an all-time record for this low-volume car.

I got the info from a reliable source. 20,000.