Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pantytec

G&K conversion cars - SERVICE CENTERS

57 posts in this topic

In reading the comments posted here, I certainly realize the risk in buying a G&K smart. I knew what I was getting into and I don't have a problem with that. I have had dealings with the Mercedes dealer in Kamloops and Three Point in Victoria and both were wonderful in trying to help. My problem is why can't the dealers here extend the same courtesy. Weather they extend warrenty or not is not the issue. They are a service and I am a customer.As far as warrenty goes nothing G&K did affects the suspension, brakes, transmission or many other parts of the car. Just because they don't like who bought or sold the car, they still built it. I understand they don't have parts and things would have to be shipped. I just would appreaciate it they made a little effort. They can certainly ship a ball joint to a dealer here just as easy as they do to a dealer in Canada, and I don't think any specialzed training would br required for a competent technition. With their attitude they can rest assured that next year when the new smarts arrive, my shadow will never darken their door step. Again my eyes were open when when I bought the car, it was my choice but it is also my choice where I spend my dollars.Don't mean to be on a soap box but I feel better now, thanks for your patience. :thanx:

I've been out of town again. LoneStar staff just said check engine light would stay on - it has. They said it shouldn't affect how it operates. It hasn't. Otherwise, they just encouraged me to return to my local shop when I got back.Went to the local shop - said only problem would be if something else went wrong and I wouldn't know it. Owner said there might be a way to discontinue use of evaporative system and not affect engine light. He's going to check with George or Rick at G&K. I have put another 1000 miles on it - runs good no effect on mileage. One of these days I'll stop back at the shop (but we have out of state company coming tomorrow. Stopped at a truck stop coming back - 3 folks took pictures. 1 asked questions for about 20 minutes. Several bikers came over to see it - said it'd sure be great in rain. It's good not to be in a hurry.darryl

My recent purchase of an 05 Passion Conv with the cdi turbo is completly stock from Germany. NO conversions done at all. While we in the states cannot import one, the Germans can bring there own personal vehicles over to the state for their use. If that vehicle gets sold or stays in the US, so be it. This one was purchased from the German lady by a relative and sat in their garage for a year. It looks new, less than 22,000km, and has not gone under the conversion knives of G&K. It took a title attorney to bond the vehicle and to obtain a legit US title, but it was still accomplished with no conversions.I purchased this vehicle from the German lady's relative and had the NJ title moved to texas no questions asked. It even passed inspection with flying colors, or at least they didn't look that hard because they were too impressed playing with the little thing. So it was titled, insured, inspected, registered, and licensed in TX without too much of a hassle.Now I'm wondering if the current warranty is still valid since it has not been converted. I have not yet checked with the Mercedes dealer. Maybe next week when I get some free time. We'll see. :tremble:

I don't understand how you were able to register a car in the USA that neither meets National Highway Safety or EPA standards. That engine does not meet the EPA clean air standards for certification. If you don't mind saying under what standards did the car get certifited under by the title attorney and how much was the bond? I know a ton of folks who would love to have the diesel but have been told that it cannot be done.Dennis