Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DJW

Manual Oil Change Suction Gun

15 posts in this topic

Is there any plance besides Smart Tune parts in the UK that I can order one of those manual Oil Chance Suction Guns. Will need to change the oil on the smart in the next several months. Or if anyone has found a better tool to use I am open to suggestions.Dennis

Check out marine supply stores. It is the same equipment used to suck the oil out of outboard motor legs, or if you have an automobile engine modified for marine use, it is difficult to get at the drain plug. Princess Auto in Canada is a source some people have used, there should be the equivalent in the US.MG

I remembered that I had a 1/4" drill pump in the drawer. Went to Lowes and got a standard garden hose 3/4" female adaptor going to a 1/4" compression fitting. Installed 2 feet of 1/4" hose and now I am good to go. Cost $4.10Dennis

Dennis, That was exactly what I was about to suggest to you, smart thinker you are ;) Another option is to use a shop vac with it's hose fed into an airtight hole in the lid of a sealed 5 gallon bucket, Drill another hole in the lid and feed a long piece of clear vinyl tubing into the hole, about 1/2 way to its bottom or more. As the vacuum creates suction in the bucket, it will allow the vinyl tube to pull the oil out of the engine. Since the shop vac hose is just inside the bucket's lid area, the oil will collect at the base of the bucket and not contaminate the shop vac. If you have ever seen a mity vac brake bleeding kit, this is pretty much a grown up version of the mity vac. It work great for all types of fluid transfers that you can't just let gravity drain. I use it to clean out power steering pump reservoirs, automatic transmissions through their dip stick tubes so the pan doesn't slop fluid all over the place when its removed etc. I got the idea from the mity vac system and a cheap little drywall dust collection bucket I saw at Home Depot years back. The best part is the bucket can be plugged and used to transfer the oil to a waste center with no further transferring of oil which can make a very big mess. An angled rubber plug stopper with a hose drilled and inserted into its center makes a great adapter for fitting various filler neck tubes on engines/trannies. Hope this helps if the drill pump doesn't create enough suction for you. I've pulled oil up 5 feet with this setup, even gear oil. Total cost is less than $10.00 for the bucket and length of clear vinyl hose, provided you own a vacuum cleaner of some sorts. A shop vac is preferred due to its higher suction, but a regular household upright vacuum can do it, just a little slower usually. If you really want to get fancy with this, you can use PVC pipe and a few threaded bungs to make the lid a perfect seal. It will make transport alot less risky of any possible leak/drips. I am surprised no one has marketed this, maybe its just too simple to build. If you need a visual, I can take a pic next time I build another one, I broke the lid on the last one when I dropped a hammer on it. DOOPE!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any plance besides Smart Tune parts in the UK that I can order one of those manual Oil Chance Suction Guns. Will need to change the oil on the smart in the next several months. Or if anyone has found a better tool to use I am open to suggestions.Dennis

Hi Dennis, i found a power steering speed sensor off a Honda car transmission works fine and is cheap, connect a cordless drill, 2 hoses ,pumps either way, if you cant find one let me know, i had a few lying around, leonard

Thanks guys, but I think I am good to go. I don't plan on changing the oil until the end of July just before we head West again. I would guess I would have 4500-4600 miles on by then.Dennis

DonRThank you for the FQ101 site link. That link has some really neat stuffDennis

Any place that services boats should have a suction pump. I got my Smart july 1st I am looking for a pump myself. I know that the marina's around the Great Lakes use the suction pumps.

I ordered that Pela 6000 and it worked like a champ. Took about 20 minutes total to pump out the oil, change the filter, and refill with new Mobil 1 synt. That was my first oil change, now that I know how the next one shouldn't even take that long.Nice thing about that pump is that it comes with a small funnel that connects to the side so you can then pour the old oil back into the empty Mobil 1 bottles and makes for easy recycling. Many of the Auto stores here in the states allow you to drop off your used oil into their recycle bins for free.Cost for the Pela 6000 was $49.00 USD from www.dieselgeek.com

I ordered that Pela 6000 and it worked like a champ. Took about 20 minutes total to pump out the oil, change the filter, and refill with new Mobil 1 synt. That was my first oil change, now that I know how the next one shouldn't even take that long.Nice thing about that pump is that it comes with a small funnel that connects to the side so you can then pour the old oil back into the empty Mobil 1 bottles and makes for easy recycling. Many of the Auto stores here in the states allow you to drop off your used oil into their recycle bins for free.Cost for the Pela 6000 was $49.00 USD from www.dieselgeek.com

I use a Pela too on my Jetta TDI. Works great. Make sure the engine is warm when you extract or you could be there for days. :lol: