Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmturner

Future Shop fast forwards my SMART.

46 posts in this topic

Hello all!Modifications are incredibly addicting. I have started an incredible project with the assistance of Joel Nelson and Dan Blum at Future Shop. It is going to blow my socks off when it is completed (and hopefully yours too if we do this right). I'm working from the inside out, focusing primarily on inside appeal (that's where I will be most of the time), and then I will continue to work on the exterior of the vehicle. No sponsors and no money tree so I have to pick and choose my battles one at a time. In any case, I can't wait to share the pictures with you as I've asked for photo documentation outlining the work we've done. For now, just a couple of fun pictures outlining the parking versitility of our little cars. Once the project is completed, I will post more pictures with comments. If you like what you see, let me know and I would be happy to refer you to these guys. They've won #1 car audio/video for Future Shops nationwide and I can understand why based on the relationship that I've had with them to date.

post-947-1181017920.jpg

post-1-1181017920.jpg

Oh cool....... at first I thought that you meant you had won the Future Shop draw for a new smart!

Nope, the SMART is mine. :yahoo: I've had it since April 2006. It is #69 in a series of 200; hence, 690F200 (they don't make O's for custom plates silly). HA HA HA. I know you're just playin'. :lol:I won't have my car for awhile... and I miss it; although, this thunder storm is pretty cool so that's keeping me entertained the present.Pictures to come soon and I promise... you will love it. :encore:

I want to know what is going on!!! :drool:

Artz - I'm pimpin' out my car. That's what's going on - ha ha! :) The project has been in effect for two weeks and moving into week three. We've had some staffing challenges but all-in-all I'm quite happy with how the Future Shop guys have been handling my case. :doublethumb:

I'm still waiting, too, but I do get to have it 90% completed for this weekend and then I should be at 100% for Canada Day long-weekend.I can't wait to post the pics (which I don't have yet). It's going to blow your mind... and maybe the panels right off my car, ha ha! :yahoo: I know it has been somewhat of a wait... but trust me... it will be worth it! Jaime

Given the time it has taken maybe the title should be Future Shop SlowMos my Smart. :lol: The longer this takes the greater our expectations. We are all waiting with bated breath.

Well, considering the fact that I'm spending over $8K in car audio mods... I don't think you'll be disappointed. And you'll hear me coming before you actually see me coming. Trust me. ;)If all I was doing was an after-market deck, I'd be done in an afternoon. If that. :yahoo: I had my car for the weekend and it rocked. I took it back to Future Shop today so that they can work on it throughout the week. You can always stop by and see it in person if you want. A few SMART owners have already been in to see Joel Nelson and his team because they heard about what I was doing and are considering making mods of their own.It's not for everyone but I'm planning on continued modifications and entering my baby into car shows eventually. :encore: Stay tuned.

And you'll hear me coming before you actually see me coming. Trust me. ;)

Oh no! :oh:

Last week - first time this ever happened to me - I was made physically ill (very nearly puked!) when a truck with maxaudio stopped beside me at a light.

I don't know if it was a specific frequency/amplitude, but I was almost instantly overcome with nausea.

Good thing it was a short light and I was in the outside lane so I could pull over and recover in just a few minutes. I've heard of flashing lights inducing epileptic episides but this was weird!

Bil :sun:

Last week - first time this ever happened to me - I was made physically ill (very nearly puked!) when a truck with maxaudio stopped beside me at a light.

Laurie gets the exact same thing very easily, and i get it as well in certain situations. I just hate that frequency of bass that penetrates your skull and disrupts all ability to hear and/or speak.If it rattles your license plate, it's too loud.

That is the point that bylaws need to be enforced, and I wouldn't hesitate to file a complaint with the local Police. (I am serious.)Audio is good for shows, but when they are a menace to other drivers and worse, take over Tim Horton parking lots, it's a public nuisance.

What is maxaudio!? Me want!I always turn down my music as I slow down or stop at a light, but if I'm at highway speed or whatever I will blast it (depending on the chune, too obviously :)). The smart is frighteningly airtight; when I have the volume at 24 on my deck (aka, Duck is now Deaf, and the headlights are on the verge dimming), you can barely hear it outside with the windows up (this is with my JLW6 sub in the back).The only time I have heard of people puking to sounds is that one Japanese kids cartoon that made like 2 million kids throw up at exactly the same time or something. Now I just need a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, and a setup that makes my horn make that exact sound :)-Iain

I will try to keep all of those comments in mind. I stress -try-. Sometimes you just have to rock out. That's why God made earplugs.To someone else's point, I will ensure to be reasonable... especially at lights or when slowing down.I also don't want to go deaf so there's another motivator! :lol:

Too bad those speed -> volume control things found in OEM stereos are not widely available in the aftermarket - i.e. highways speeds louder - stopped quieter - cuts down on the intersection rumbling - our office is by the main drag here in Victoria - when your monitor is shaking inside the building - the bass is a bit much.Cheers,Cameron

Anybody who wants to go deaf is welcome to stand in front of my guitar amplifier when it's at full ROAR.It'll make yer pant legs flap.And yes, i do wear hearing protection.

UPDATEOk, so, we're getting closer. Feels like a lifetime but I know the work is going to be stellar! The guys are going to be able to connect the security system fob to the automatic locks/immobilizer which is terrific. The dash is being put back together and customer paint to follow to accent the AVIC-Z2 head unit. Pretty much everything else is good to go with exception to the custom box with 10" Exile sub that will be going in the rear.This isn't a quick job but the quality is certainly going to be there (eg. no half ass installation). I'm looking forward to sharing those pics with you as soon as they send them!Has anyone gone to check out my car while it's been in Future Shop?Cheers!J

Has anyone gone to check out my car while it's been in Future Shop?

Yep I did.

Saw all the guts out. :tremble:

Saw it after the weekend you had it out.

I like the idea of some extra sound proofing.

Looking good. :doublethumb:

Can't wait to see the finished product.

av8tr

I drove by there and saw it yesterday as well. Couldn't take a close look though. Dang

Anybody who wants to go deaf is welcome to stand in front of my guitar amplifier when it's at full ROAR.It'll make yer pant legs flap.And yes, i do wear hearing protection.

OT: I'm having an argument currently with Air Canada management and the Health & Safety Committee wrt hearing protection while working around aircraft. They require the use of (cheap) ear-muff style protectors, which they supply as part of the CLC's mandated personal protective equipment; they will not allow the use of plug-style protection. I can't stand the muffs, and find they are nowhere near as efficient as my low-end IEMs (Ety ER-6i with Sensaphonics custom earmolds) at blocking ambient noise. Even a cheap set of musician's earplugs attenuate more noise. Pisses me off. /rant

OT: OT:earmuffs would be less likely to become a FOD problem than small foamy plugs or some other small plug. you drop a set of muffs and you can likely pick it back up...foams would be gone with the wind /sidebar:cheeky:

It's pretty cool that some of you were able to get a look at her. I miss my baby! She'll be hoppin' once she's done and I'm told we're working on the final touches now. Custom work to the dash and making sure that the locks interact with the security system fob. Then all that is left is to build a custom enclosure in the back for my 10" Exile sub and we're good to go! :lol: I can't wait to post pictures and show you the play by play.I've been busy managing the Bell store at the Stampede this year so I've had my hands full this last little while. :banghead:

I should have moe pictures by Thursday (installer will send me more). ETA on car being 95% completed is by the 28th (fingers crossed) as I want to be at the meet-in-the middle drive to Red Deer with my ForTwo. The last 5% is the 10" exile sub and enclosure which will be worked on August/September. To those keeping up to date with the project, thank you for your patience. Hopefully I get those pics ASAP and get them posted to keep you entertained. Cheers!-- Jaime