Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rstam

Start/Stop tech for US smarts

12 posts in this topic

Hope this is true too for the 2008 US/Canadian models.

the Smart system will shut down the combustion engine when the car is stopped in traffic, and start it again when the driver presses the accelerator

The Smart road show will be in my area this weekend and hope to get some answers regarding this cool feature.

Yeah the manufacturer claims a 15% reduction in fuel consumption on the EU cycle for this model, so instead of 50 US MPG overall, more like 58 MPG overall. How it fares in the US EPA testing, who knows.This version has not yet been introduced in Europe, so I doubt that all US models will have it. It'll probably be an option....

An interesting idea as the new engine could probably use thehelp with MPG's. (still want my diesel)

In a hybrid, the A/C will still work whether the cobustion engine is running or not. With the Smart's idle reduction system, I am trying to figure out how the A/C compressor is supposed to continue turning if the engine shuts off, along with the heater's water flow needed for the heater core to stay hot in the winter time. In a climate like Montgomery, AL, I refuse to go without full power A/C in the summertime. Forget the fuel savings, I'm not going to sit and roast at a traffic light in 105 degree heat at 70% humidity. In the spring and/or fall, I can see this feature being a real energy saver with no ill effects. A 20 second stall start isn't bad, but in heavy traffic, I sit idle for a few minutes at a time. Frustrating, because it is a waste of fuel to sit idle, but I can't deal with the heat down here in the summer months, I've ended up in the hospital with heat exhaustion 2 times already. Getting into a car that has as much glass as a Smart does is like being in a glass faced greenhouse for the first 10 minutes, even with the windows down :( I recall the Prius we test drove last year having no HVAC issues when the car went "dormant", so I'm imagining the A/C is powered off the electric drive side of the hybrid. I never really bothered to learn how it worked, it was a Toyota, so that's all I needed to know. Finding a Prius in this area for sale is the only hard part about owning one.

I have an 06 Prius. The AC compressor runs off its own electric motor. Totally independent of the engine. Heat in the winter on the other hand is different. The engine has to run to heat the coolant. My winter mileage is always about 5mpg less than during the summer. Summer=52-54mpg Winter= 46-48mpgThe Prius also shuts off when youre at a stop. When you pull out, if your easy on the pedal, you start out under all electric power up to about 20 mph. The car still amazes me after a year and a half and 15K miles.

I would hope that it would sense that the AC is on and NOT shut off the engine at a light. As far as the heat he heat, well, you're not going to freeze to death in the minute or so that you have to wait for a green light. Maybe if the heat "booster" is turned on (if they have that option in th "08's) then it will bypass the shutdown as well.

Hmm, an observation. It is apparent that even smart car drivers are willing to put their comfort above the "fate of the planet."

Hmm, an observation. It is apparent that even smart car drivers are willing to put their comfort above the "fate of the planet."

Come see me in Montgomery around august, We'll see how environmental we are feeling when there's an infant in the car with us. As I said, in the spring and fall, I think it's a great feature. The cooldown time in Montgomery in the average vehicle around August in most vehicles is 10 minutes or so, if the car keeps cycling on and off, the A/C's evap and condensor will not be able to get the gas exchange to become fully efficient. I'll drive less to compensate for my fuel useage if I have to, but I'm not going without A/C in this sweat pit region of the country.

Just like me "racing around" in my Scion. With my foot in the gasalmost all the time... I get close to 32 MPG's. I would get better if Idrove like my grandmother.I'm still getting twice the mileage as most... that's my contribution! :peeved:

I also wouldn't want to do without the A/C. It gets into the 90's here in the summer and very humid due to the mountains and lakes. We also take a lot of trips to Florida each year and really need the A/C there. I guess i'm somewhat different from a lot of Smart Car enthusiasts since my interest in the car is not based on how earth friendly it is. Currently my wife and I both drive 4cyl cars that get 34mpg on the highway and that's where we do most of our driving. As long as this system doesn't cause you to lose the A/C and doesn't introduce lag when pulling out from a stop then I'm in for the idea.

I use A/C, or have the top down and heated seats on nearly all the time and I still score over 60 US MPG every time.I too agree that comfort is important. I do not agree with Alec Issigonis (original Mini designer) who said: "An uncomfortable driver is an alert driver" :lol: