Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deanna

Stock tires!!!????

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys.. just curious if anyone else is suffering like me??? my smartie is a 2005 and ive had 3 flat tires. none of which have had ANY punctures!! this time, ive figured it out. theyve just been cracking. they actually cracked on the INSIDE of the wheel base!! so clearly its a manufacturing defect. unfortunately im leasing and they will not cover the tires and the smartmove will only be covered to the nearest mercedes. they will only replace the stock tire and then charge me for it??? sooooo... how do i get my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ back from continental?? and which other tire company will fit the smart? i cannot deal with the crappy treatment at the dealership anymore ... they are absolutely awful!! after trying to blame me for the flats ... all bloody 3 in two years!!! when i asked if there was an alternative tire to put on! first they said no.. and then they tried to tell me that if they did use a different make, they would have to replace all 4?? !!! which is interesting considering that the fronts are a different size??!! and ofcourse to top it off.. there is no car replacement for the smarts which is absolutely fabulous considering that they leave it to the very last to fix (my broken window last year........almost 2 months!!! ) i love my smart but i simply CANNOT deal with this company anymore... im ready to sell my lease :(

This is the first I've heard of cracked tires leading to flats. You may be alone.

I've seen cracked stock Conti's. But only once. That car had high mileage and poorly maintained. Never seen a flat due to cracks. Have seen lots of shredded tires due to under inflation though. READ your owner's manual. Check your tire pressure regularly for safety and enviroment.

well considering that my first incident was 2 weeks after purchase and exactly 2 days after i checked the tire pressure on the last incident... mmm.. dont think its maintenance. i have 57,000 km.. not too crazy. ?? just my luck i guess.. checking into the tire warranty now.. i will fill you in

CHeck with fasteddy for some used take off tires - this could be a solution to the high price.

Get the rim checked too for dents - that can contribute to tire issues - also make sure they change the tire valve (nothing like blaming the wrong bit - surprising how this is overlooked sometimes by dealers). Once the tire looses air - the tire might get damaged - and blamed.Drop by and see Eddy- his service is great.Cheers,Cameron

With all the constructions going on in Vancouver these days. It doesn't really surprise me to get all sorts of cuts and puncture. Last winter or early spring it was pot holes. I drove over a couple myself which thought it would have done some damage.But what I have the most are drivers with cell phone in one hand.

Incidentally, I've found a pretty good source for relatively inexpensive (key word "relatively) oem conti tires. Its no secret, but i'm not going to post the link. PM me if you want them. I started referring my USA customers there rather than getting them from me because I can't even come close to the price. - Steven

Well, if there was a brite side to this, Olive Oil had a blow out a week ago, thats how I found out about the club.. I was at the dealer's who informed me this was very unusual to have a blow out, Yah right.. If another Brand of tires are available, I'm in..

I haven't seen any blow-out come through my doors neither. Lots of under inflated or worn tires. But no blow-out. Maybe I catch them in time to put some air in during regular maintenance.

My new smart with less than 8000 km had a blow out several weeks ago - huge hole and gash in side wall - had to have it towed to Mercedes - watching the tow truck driver was fun - it was his first! - they had no tires in stock - the supplier had no tires - maybe Deanna has them all :) had to order one from somewhere - I had to pay for the shippingDealer said it was a nail...interestingI didn't want to be stranded again - so - hate to say it - but winter is coming - bought the snow tires and using one as a spare - bought a tire mount from Steven

Welcome Little Red Riding Hood to CsC,Sorry to hear about your blow out but it looks like you have a plan to avoid this from happening in the future.Enjoy the ride and be ware of those wolves!Regina

I also changed my rear treads this week. What a surprise when the tech found a nail in the tire. I think it came from the reno's we did last year. The tire never leaked. Another surprise was inside the tire itself. There was a little steel wire sticking out of the rubber no bigger than a staple. Again the tech said the wire mesh was broken but the rubber around the staple was not cracked or open - really really weird. I think the tire might of been defective from the getgo...So now I've got conti's instead of the OEM B340 :-)