Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hdiodati

Push Starting the Smart

34 posts in this topic

HELP! - I'm stuck out in the boonies, 125 miles from any dealer and my Smart refuses to turn over.Does anyone know if you can push start this car.Mine is a pulse with a manual transmission, no clutchHeather

HeatherI take it the engine isn't turning over at all. From the manualCheck once again whether- the gear selector lever in position N and when an N is displayed in the gearshift selector indicator.- you have your foot on the brake pedal.- an N is shown on the gearshift select indicator.>Note!If an is showing in the gearshift selector indicator display then first of all the electronicimmobilizer has to be deactivatedI doubt you can push start as the computer wouldn't engage the clutchCall MB. They will tow to the dealer as part of the roadside assistance.

I can get the shifter to show "N" but I'm not sure if it will go into the first gear.Problem is - the insurance company forced me to get a ignition cut off installed and right now I'm not sure if it's the cut off or the car itself.I suspect it the cut off which is defective.Would you have the telephone number for the road side assistance.Thanks Heather

HeatherI take it the engine isn't turning over at all. From the manualCheck once again whether- the gear selector lever in position N and when an N is displayed in the gearshift selector indicator.- you have your foot on the brake pedal.- an N is shown on the gearshift select indicator.>Note!If an is showing in the gearshift selector indicator display then first of all the electronicimmobilizer has to be deactivatedI doubt you can push start as the computer wouldn't engage the clutchCall MB. They will tow to the dealer as part of the roadside assistance.

Hi Rich I just went out and tried it again, no luck would not even attempt to engae the starter. However I can unlock the car, shift from reverse to neutal and then I shifted from neutral to 1st gear. With the door open - I can hear the gears changing from neutral to 1st. Is this any help - do you think the computer is engaging the clutch. Heather

I can get the shifter to show "N" but I'm not sure if it will go into the first gear.Problem is - the insurance company forced me to get a ignition cut off installed and right now I'm not sure if it's the cut off or the car itself.I suspect it the cut off which is defective.Would you have the telephone number for the road side assistance.Thanks Heather

The clutch will engage if the car rolls up to a certain speed, but if you have an aftermarket "ignition" (probably injection) cutout installed, it won't start anyway.Why on earth would an insurance company insist on a Bo-Janged electrical system, to insure a car? I suggest that once this is over, you find a reasonable insurer, one that realises that the fortwo already has an immobiliser.

Yup, you were right Mark - couldn't get it going. My hubby and I pushed like crazy then he hopped in and zilch! Oh well, I managed to find the tel. number for Roadside Assistance since it wasn't included in the papers I got with the car when I took over the rest of the lease from someone. Also, the manual was all in French and my French is OK but when you're nervously looking for what to do I always think in English - hehehehe.That being said, Roadside Assistance called a towing half an hour out from where we were and they showed up in about an hour with a flat bed. So "SweetPea" right now is sitting in the towing cie's garage until Mercedez Benz Pointe Claire opens up this morning. Then we'll see if it is actually the smart or the after-market ignition cutout that we had to install.About this cutout, the insurance company obliged us to put it in because they said the immobiliser that the smart already has apparently isn't enough since they said we are in kind of a high crime area!Will keep ya posted!Thanks for everyone's help :-)Heather

The clutch will engage if the car rolls up to a certain speed, but if you have an aftermarket "ignition" (probably injection) cutout installed, it won't start anyway.Why on earth would an insurance company insist on a Bo-Janged electrical system, to insure a car? I suggest that once this is over, ou find a reasonable insurer, one that realises that the fortwo already has an immobiliser.

Sorry "Mike" I called you Mark - I need my coffee :-))))

Yup, you were right Mark - couldn't get it going. My hubby and I pushed like crazy then he hopped in and zilch! Oh well, I managed to find the tel. number for Roadside Assistance since it wasn't included in the papers I got with the car when I took over the rest of the lease from someone. Also, the manual was all in French and my French is OK but when you're nervously looking for what to do I always think in English - hehehehe.That being said, Roadside Assistance called a towing half an hour out from where we were and they showed up in about an hour with a flat bed. So "SweetPea" right now is sitting in the towing cie's garage until Mercedez Benz Pointe Claire opens up this morning. Then we'll see if it is actually the smart or the after-market ignition cutout that we had to install.About this cutout, the insurance company obliged us to put it in because they said the immobiliser that the smart already has apparently isn't enough since they said we are in kind of a high crime area!Will keep ya posted!Thanks for everyone's help :-)Heather

The clutch will engage if the car rolls up to a certain speed, but if you have an aftermarket "ignition" (probably injection) cutout installed, it won't start anyway.Why on earth would an insurance company insist on a Bo-Janged electrical system, to insure a car? I suggest that once this is over, ou find a reasonable insurer, one that realises that the fortwo already has an immobiliser.

Any word on the problems to your car? If the problem is related to the aftermarket "alarm" I wonder if MB will try to make you pay for the tow, which you can then charge back to the company that installed the device in the first place.

I can't believe that your insurance compant forced you into getting an aftermarket alarm system, where the car already has a great one in the car. So I am guessing that they wouldn't want you to get a push button starter for your smart, even though there isn't much more of a trhreat to your car stolen as long as you lock your doors when you park it.

Hi Artz,Called MB at 8 a.m. and they hadn't seen the car yet so I guess the tow truck is heading their way. I mentioned about the aftermarket alarm system so they'll let me know. My husband was wondering about who would pay the towing if it was the aftermarket alarm. yech! Well, let's hope it's not because if I have to pay the towing, man is it going to be a pretty penny :-( The papers I received with the alarm system state "The only warranty offered is the warranty of parts and labour covering defects in manufacture and of operation for a period of 24 months from date of purchase." So does that mean they will replace the part but not pay towing - hmmmmmmmm........ we'll see. If need be, I will sic my hubby onto them :-)))Heather

Any word on the problems to your car? If the problem is related to the aftermarket "alarm" I wonder if MB will try to make you pay for the tow, which you can then charge back to the company that installed the device in the first place.I can't believe that your insurance compant forced you into getting an aftermarket alarm system, where the car already has a great one in the car. So I am guessing that they wouldn't want you to get a push button starter for your smart, even though there isn't much more of a trhreat to your car stolen as long as you lock your doors when you park it.

Go after the insurance company for the difference. It's all their fault!

Absolutely the insurance co's fault. They cannot oblige you to install an aftermarket kill switch.PM me and I can give you the name of my broker; call him and not only will you get top-notch service and the best price, but he had no issues with kill switches or "Sherlock" etchings. FWIW, my premium is $525 a year plus tax with $50/$250/$500, and I live in Pierrefonds.

:yahoo: WoooooHooooo!! I have SweetPea back again!Here's what happened - 8 a.m. this morning, I called MB West Island but they hadn't seen my smart yet. By-the-way, they have a special service rep for only the smart cars! Her name is Elly and she's very very helpful.Elly called me back not long after, maybe around 10 a.m. stating they received the car and the work order was filled out. I asked her if she had any idea of when they'd have a chance to check out SweetPea but Elly said they were very swamped today and not sure if they'd have the chance, but possibly tomorrow.OK, no problem, as long as it would get done...Elly called me around 3 pm to tell me that they actually managed to check out the car and that it was just as my hubby suspected - it was the aftermarket kill switch. I asked Elly if she was to call the company or would I and she told me it should be me to inform them.I called them up (Datacom Inc that installs the Mobiguard option) and spoke to a service rep who took all the info down as to where the car was and the name of the contact and phone number. This same service rep called me back not long after to say that he was immediately dispatching a repairman over to MB West Island and proceded to fall all over himself apologizing! So, to make a long story short, the car was repaired by 4:30 and ready for me at 5. Elly AND the Datacom service rep, both, called me to let me know and that there would be absolutely no charge whatsoever for anything, not even the towing! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means Datacom picked up the $250 charge for towing (125 km) and approx. 2 hours labor at MB.I tip my hat off to Datacom and Mercedez Benz for checking and repairing the problem with no hassles. While the car was at MB, they even changed a part that had been recalled. Apparently it was a drain grommet in the front end.Thanks ever so much to everybody for all your help :-)I'm back Crrrrruuuuuuusssssin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :thanx:

So...I didn't have to sic hubby onto anyone! He's retired so he has all the time in the world to have fun telling people off, bugging them and staying in their face all day long and he does it with a passion - giggle (ah yes...hobbies for retirement!)~ Heather ~

:yahoo: WoooooHooooo!! I have SweetPea back again!Here's what happened - 8 a.m. this morning, I called MB West Island but they hadn't seen my smart yet. By-the-way, they have a special service rep for only the smart cars! Her name is Elly and she's very very helpful.Elly called me back not long after, maybe around 10 a.m. stating they received the car and the work order was filled out. I asked her if she had any idea of when they'd have a chance to check out SweetPea but Elly said they were very swamped today and not sure if they'd have the chance, but possibly tomorrow.OK, no problem, as long as it would get done...Elly called me around 3 pm to tell me that they actually managed to check out the car and that it was just as my hubby suspected - it was the aftermarket kill switch. I asked Elly if she was to call the company or would I and she told me it should be me to inform them.I called them up (Datacom Inc that installs the Mobiguard option) and spoke to a service rep who took all the info down as to where the car was and the name of the contact and phone number. This same service rep called me back not long after to say that he was immediately dispatching a repairman over to MB West Island and proceded to fall all over himself apologizing! So, to make a long story short, the car was repaired by 4:30 and ready for me at 5. Elly AND the Datacom service rep, both, called me to let me know and that there would be absolutely no charge whatsoever for anything, not even the towing! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means Datacom picked up the $250 charge for towing (125 km) and approx. 2 hours labor at MB.I tip my hat off to Datacom and Mercedez Benz for checking and repairing the problem with no hassles. While the car was at MB, they even changed a part that had been recalled. Apparently it was a drain grommet in the front end.Thanks ever so much to everybody for all your help :-)I'm back Crrrrruuuuuuusssssin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :thanx:

So...I didn't have to sic hubby onto anyone! He's retired so he has all the time in the world to have fun telling people off, bugging them and staying in their face all day long and he does it with a passion - giggle (ah yes...hobbies for retirement!)~ Heather ~

That's great that they got it fixed - but why on Earth would an insurance company want to modify your car?! I've never heard of that before.-Iain

Apparently Montreal is a high risk city for stolen vehicles so certain insurance companies oblige you to put on the extra immobilizer (some...not all - go figure!) Ours obliged us to have it installed and paid 90% of the tab. OK, no problem, unless it goes defective like mine did!However, all problems solved - and no moolah out of my pocket.PHEW!

That's great that they got it fixed - but why on Earth would an insurance company want to modify your car?! I've never heard of that before.-Iain

Would your insurance company accept a bumper sticker reading "41 Horsepower ... Think about it"?Always good to hear a happy ending.MG

If you didn't say that they were paying 90% of the bill... I would have said there is some backroom deals going on between the insurance broker and the alarm installer.

Fwiw... the smart's anti-theft system is very effective. Physically, its crap - I can hotwire it in about 30 seconds provided I've used the fob to disable the immobilizer! Of course, then I have the key :) Every which way we tried, we couldn't come close to getting it started with the immobilizer engaged. Even using a code swiper (mind you, its a simple one - there might be more advanced ones that pros use... but pros aren't going after smarts) didn't work because the smart's immobilizer rolls codes.

No, I'm not a thief :) It was all the testing I did to ensure the push button starter didn't expose you to any greater theft risk then using the key. And it doesn't! The key is nothing special at all and is easily bypassed anyway. The immobilizer is special, and still active whether you use a key or a button.

Sorry you had the headache and glad you got it figured out. I'm really happy to hear they took responsibility for it rather than pointing to their lame warranty exclusions.

- Steven

Sorry to hear about your problems and happy to hear they were resolved. Just a note to say I am also on the West Island and was not asked for any "additional" imobiliser by my insurance company. They did however ask if the car had one to which I replied Yes meaning the supplied MB design.All the best2seat

That's really weird! I have never herd of an insurance company forcing anybody to do any type of modification to their vehicle. Something is screwy with that I think. I would contact the insurance regulatory board and ask them if they can legally do that. But then again it wouldn't surprise me... Insurance companies do lots of little things they know they can get away with even though they legally can't. But most of the time people don't report them because they don't know it's illegal!My mom is an insurance broker so I've herd lots of stories :P (But thankfully she is an honest one :) )

Read in the London Free press today that the Manitoba gov't/insurance company are going to force some motorists to install immobilizers. Story is here.. You would think that they would force the manufacturers to put on immobilizers, and while they are at it, why not consumption gauges as well?

In BC they use the carrot approach - cars with immobilizers get a break on insurance - the smart qualifies!Cheers,Cameron

It has to be a "passive" immobilizer though... which is what the smart's is. If you have to remember to push a button to engage the immobilizer, then it doesn't qualify for ICBC's discount. Moot point for smarties, but thought I'd mention it. - Steven