Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darren

CsC membership cards

43 posts in this topic

We've got lots of "spotted" cards, but a member recently asked about some sort of club ID for getting things like discounts at some dealerships.

Since we don't seem to have anything like this, (part of the disconnect between a forum-based commnity of interest and a real-world "club") i've taken the task on myself.

Attached is a PDF file with a form embedded in it. When you open this file in Adobe Acrobat, you can type your details directly into the form fields on the PDF, then print out the card, trim it along the crop marks, then optionally have it laminated.

I've designed it to be the same size as most credit cards, minus a 3mm margin to allow for laminating. When it's laminated and trimmed, it should fit in most wallets without a problem. It's single-sided for simplicity's sake.

Here's the information that's required on it:

member name: Type your real name into this field.

forum ID: This is what you go by here on the forum. In my case, it's simply "darren".

member since: If you view your public profile, you'll see this at the top of the right column. My "joined" date is 09 Sep 2005 (you can just copy and paste).

member number: The forum automatically gives us a number when we join. When viewing your profile, if you look up in the address bar of your browser, you'll see "viewprofile&u=XXX" where "XXX" is a number. Just use that number as your member number.

You should end up with something that looks like this:

post-288-1182199736.png

CsC_member_card_template.pdf

Cool stuff! :) I'll have to make one one of these days.Are you going to make a version with the URL www.clubsmartcar.ca for those of us who want to proudly show we are Canadian? :P

I personally think that since we are rapidly becoming the de facto smart forum for the North American market and we're continually drawing more American members, the ".com" url is the address we should be using to promote the forum. It's more universal, more familiar and the "default" that most people use.

The ".ca" top-level domain has never really been a source of pride for me... it's more a source of, "Aw, crap... the dot-com is already taken!"

I think it makes more sense to have ONE card for all members so dealerships see a consistent image being presented. If we have multiple cards, then our credibility as a serious "club" starts to be diminished.

Darren,Great Job on the card. I'm going to print one when I get home. And Here! Here! on the .com issue. While I understand I am in the minority, I think it's a great idea.ReginaP.S. I think the words "Membership Card" should have the "m" and "c" capitalized.

I like this card - GOOD WORK - and I agree that it is a good way to formalise things.About the .com versus .ca, we need to check with the Webmaster as to whether there are any reasons why .com should not be used. I remember him mentioning something about it a while ago but I can't remember what it was....Both link to our homepage.

AWESOME!!!We're really lucky to have someone with actual print/graphic/design experience in our club :D That is so awesome. I've never seen a .PDF that you can fill out on your own, too... so good, so good!!-Iain

AWESOME!!!We're really lucky to have someone with actual print/graphic/design experience in our club :D That is so awesome. I've never seen a .PDF that you can fill out on your own, too... so good, so good!!-Iain

acrobat 8 pro allow this now

Acrobat has had fillable forms in it for YEARS. It's just a very under-utilized feature. You can even set them up so you can fill them in offline and click a "submit" button to send the data to a server.

P.S. I think the words "Membership Card" should have the "m" and "c" capitalized.

Well, the "smart" nomenclature seems to be to use all lower-case wherever possible. :)

I like it... but I want .ca! Wasn't there a discussion about this not too long ago?

found it ici

Wasn't there a discussion about this not too long ago?

...found it ici

Yes, and i took opinions under advisement and did the right thing anyway. ;)

:lol:

I agree with cait, .ca is more canadian don't you think?

Let's think bigger, people! We're poised on the brink of (hopefully) explosive growth in the smart car market in North America, and we're already more than a Canada-only club.

While technically, ".com" is for commercial sites based in the USA, it's essentially the default in the minds and browsers of just about everybody who uses the Web on a daily basis.

Restricting ourselves to the use of the .ca top-level domain seems like a shortsighted move motivated only by nationalistic pride. My advice to my own clients on this subject is to only use the .ca domain if a) the product or service you are marketing is ONLY for the Canadian market; and/or B) the .com domain is not available.

Since CsC already has the .com, and our reach has already extended beyond our borders, then that nullifies both of the above criteria.

Design, concept and content all brilliant. Thanks (finally!) for my membership card! I filled in my info and printed my card off on a gold one side, white the other card stock... I'm going at lunch to get it laminated...We could have actually gotten away with keeping just the club smart car logo at the top and not included the .com or .ca, as we are a club that doesn't just meet online anymore... but either way, the card legitimizes us now either way!

<--- If you click on your name over in the left column, above your pic, you'll see your "public" profile.

Wasn't there a discussion about this not too long ago?

...found it ici

Yes, and i took opinions under advisement and did the right thing anyway. ;)

:lol:

I agree with cait, .ca is more canadian don't you think?

Let's think bigger, people! We're poised on the brink of (hopefully) explosive growth in the smart car market in North America, and we're already more than a Canada-only club.

While technically, ".com" is for commercial sites based in the USA, it's essentially the default in the minds and browsers of just about everybody who uses the Web on a daily basis.

Restricting ourselves to the use of the .ca top-level domain seems like a shortsighted move motivated only by nationalistic pride. My advice to my own clients on this subject is to only use the .ca domain if a) the product or service you are marketing is ONLY for the Canadian market; and/or B) the .com domain is not available.

Since CsC already has the .com, and our reach has already extended beyond our borders, then that nullifies both of the above criteria.

But the fact is that once you type in .com it AUTOMATICALLY brings you to the .ca site. So we are NOT clubsmartcar.com, we are clubsmartcar.ca with a default so that incorrect addresses bring people to the site they were probably looking for in the first place.

I'm still not printing off this card, I stand by what I said in the other thread. However, if, as suggested by clvrchik, the .com is dropped and it is simply club smart car written on the card, then I'd make one for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you've taken the initiative to make something for the entire club! :doublethumb: I just don't see a need to have .com instead of the original (and still standing) .ca

<--- If you click on your name over in the left column, above your pic, you'll see your "public" profile.

You don't even need to click on it. Just hover over it and look at the address that shows up in the status bar at the bottom of the browser.

I agree with you Cait, If i can't edit it to show .ca and then print it.i won't bother.I'd really like to see an american forum in this position change their site to .ca.....YA NOT GONNA HAPPEN !!!We are Canadian and should be proud of it !!

Since we're already woefully off topic-again (sorry Darren) - I actually like .ca better, too. :/ When I was in Indiana last year this was highlighted by wearing my CsC t-shirt at Indiana Beach... two rider operators at different points approached me and asked "Do they have those cars in Canada?!" - twigging to the .ca domain.It's a subtle little reminder of our herritage!-Iain

Heritage-schmeritage. Progress!

In six months, the Canada/USA distinction will be largely irrelevant.

I'd really like to see an american forum in this position change their site to .ca....

ACTUALLY, I was caught by that one once. In that case, the .ca stood for California. Go figure!