Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darren

CsC membership cards

43 posts in this topic

... is there any way to make everybody happy ? :dunno:

:yes: Chocolates or sex :yahoo:

Hey! How come I'm #86 in the date-joined list but the hover trick mentioned above says "u=95" ?? I'm missing something!

There were probably some deleted members. I think everyone should stick to the URL u=## though.

Just to put in my south of the border thoughts, I like the .ca. It adds an international flair from my standpoint. :thanx:

I say we compromise...Why don't we just make it www.clubsmartcar.e3 which could either makes us ALL happy... Or just entertain me in the process! :PEddie

Heh. Maybe Canada should petition for a ".eh" top-level domain. Then all you flag-wavers can have clubsmartcar.eh;)

Well thats all good but how do the rest of us manipulate it so we can print it with our info and have it display the .ca suffix?

The simple answer would be NO. The complex answer would be NO. There is no way to make everyone happy so don't try. Due to the activity level here at this forum I'm sure that it will become THE forum where all people can come to find out about all things Smart.

The forum has already been split up according to Canadian provinces to facilitate ease for people who live in those areas be able to get together more easily. What about those people living in Europe? What about Smart owners in South America and here in the USA? As you can see becoming a global forum for Smart owners it is inevitable that a global change may be nessassary to encompass all Smart owners. As a member of a motorcycle group called VROC Vulcan Riders and Owners Club we have 24,000+ members. It started out much like it has done here with a small group of owners who wanted to get together and enjoy our Smarts and exchange ideas etc...

Another great idea that I'll shamefully get from our VROC webpage would be an "Smart Emergency Road Service" (SERS). As seen HERE.

I expect to see regional USA forums here within 6 months, and perhaps state-by-state forums not too long after that.

I think the question of .com vs .ca is simple.And Cait has it bang on.The website domain of this forum IS www.clubsmartcar.caThe pointer to help people that DO automatically put a .com on it is www.clubsmartcar.comThere is absolutely no harm in putting the .ca domain on the card. If someone automatically puts in the .com, no harm done - they end up in the right place. If they can read and type, they end up at the right place.Call it national pride if you want... I just call it our address. - Steven

The website domain of this forum IS www.clubsmartcar.ca

The pointer to help people that DO automatically put a .com on it is www.clubsmartcar.com

I acknowledge what it is, and based on my years of Internet marketing, i have strongly recommended what it should be moving forward to encompass our larger North American (and global) audience.

If everyone chooses to ignore that recommendation based on blind nationalistic pride, rather than what might be best for the forum overall, then so be it.

Thanks to the foresight of our Webmaster, TFM, who locked up the .com for exactly the reasons as articulated by s_mack, we have the best of both worlds. There is no need to follow Bubba down the yellow brick road where bigger is better and too big is just right, line of reasoning.The forum started as a Canadian umberella site for regional groups to form under.Today we still fulfill that purpose and hopefully we will always remain clubsmartcar.ca

Darren... my point wasn't nationalistic pride. I guess I just disagree with you... one experienced marketer to another. I think what you say was true, but I believe those days are gone. There may still be some small percentage of people that wouldn't know what to do with a .name domain, but the US has been deluged with national advertising campaigns for .tv, .biz, .info, .net. The fact is that .coms just ran out in a large sense and the world moved on. I agree, that if you are a US based company that's going to do a lot of short-attention advertising (tv, radio, car ads) that a .com is better because its hard enough getting your audience to remember the main part of your domain. But when they have the card in front of them... when they are staring right at the domain... its pretty hard to get wrong. Nobody from the US is going to make a decision, subconsciously or otherwise, if its a .ca or a .com. Having both eliminates the "which was it again" problem. No, the ONLY people that are going to be bothered by which one it is, are the Canadians with the "blind nationalistic pride".I'll admit I'm one of them... I am proud to be Canadian (even though I'm technically American... well, both I guess) and I personally would rather use the .ca for that reason. However, if I believed there to be some benefit to using the .com in our advertisements I would say otherwise.I just think times have changed and there is no longer the benefit that we were trained/conditioned to tell our customers.Lol... so why, dear mister hypocrite they say, did I choose smartieparts.com and not smartieparts.ca? Well.. back in the day, when I was starting SmartieParts on a zero-budget and a handful of customers... it came down to the fact I could get a .com for $6.99 and a .ca cost me $14 and change :) Unbelievable that I've never locked up the .ca Until just about... now.I definitely know where you're coming from Darren. I just don't think its nearly as important as it once was. - Steven

Thanks to Awesys for giving members the option!

www.clubsmartcar.int... lol.Are we gonna get clubsmartcar.us to cover all bases?

There is something to be said of ".ca". Personally, I feel it should be there to identify it as being started in Canada. It has nothing to do with "waving the flag". You can bet your life if this site was in the U.S.A. that would be identified clear and through. That is not a political statement, but fact.I am proud the site was started in Canada, as all of us are. So, why not express it. That being said I will get a card whether or, not the ".ca" is on the card. Oh yes, everything I do for the Relay includes the ".ca" to let all know it is a Canadian site.Garry