Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

specialities

19 posts in this topic

I wonder if it's worthwhile setting up a sticky with categories of mods or maintenance, associating them with names of members who have researched or done them or have special knowledge in certain areas?Examples might be (off top of me head - not necessarily correct)light bulbs - Eddie|Eddie|Eddiecamping trailers - RoySkyBellalloy wheels and matching tires - FastEddyelectrical - Dangaircon - smartie_yank

That's not a bad idea. It would be nice to have a quick reference to resources or people who have actually accomplished these mods instead of always having to filter through the entire forum. I've always wanted a chat feature too as a way to interact but perhaps that's in a future version of the site. :lol:

That's not a bad idea. It would be nice to have a quick reference to resources or people who have actually accomplished these mods instead of always having to filter through the entire forum. I've always wanted a chat feature too as a way to interact but perhaps that's in a future version of the site. :lol:

There is a chat function already but I think it's seldom, if ever, visited.. I even forget the URIB:sun:

Its an interesting idea.... and I mean no offense to anyone, but there's nothing particular that makes any one person more of an authority than someone else. I mean... I have no doubt that the person to talk to about bulbs is Eddiex3, but if I put it that way as a sticky then what about Joe X that thinks he's the king of the filament? As well, its doubtful all (if any) of the people labeled as the "expert" will want the attention it bings... potentially flooded with pms, etc.Its a discussion forum, and the threads should be the focus, not the authors. If those threads become the defacto standard for a topic, then great!Unless I've missed the point, I don't think there's a reason to make a sticky out of it. Of course, had you accepted the nomination for prez, Mr. Gladstone, you could simply make me :)hehe.Seriously... explain more here or via pm if you want to change my mind. I'm open. - Steven

Its an interesting idea.... and I mean no offense to anyone, but there's nothing particular that makes any one person more of an authority than someone else.

Experience?

Yeah... I know... OK, let me rephrase.Who are WE to say, authoritatively, to our lay-members... who is in FACT the best person to speak to about these things? And what gives US the qualifications to judge who of those people is the most experienced? (I think I know the answer: "experience" :) )As well, and again I'm not relating this to any of the names given in the examples, what if an "experienced" person is just a blow-hard that talks a good talk and now someone screws up their car because of it and we endorsed it!?!? And what if said blow-hard wants to be on the list? How do we (read "I") determine who should and shouldn't be on it?That is what stems my concerns. But mostly, my objection is necessity. Or lack there of. These threads are popular... and popular threads float to the top. I just don't see the need to sticky them. I'm a stickler for stickies :)But I moderate for the people!Get 10 "signatures" on this thread supporting the idea, then draft whatever you want stickied and I'll do it. I have concerns and objections, but nothing so much that it would over-rule popular desire by any means. - Steven

I wonder if it's worthwhile setting up a sticky with categories of mods or maintenance, associating them with names of members who have researched or done them or have special knowledge in certain areas?Examples might be (off top of me head - not necessarily correct)light bulbs - Eddie|Eddie|Eddiecamping trailers - RoySkyBellalloy wheels and matching tires - FastEddyelectrical - Dangaircon - smartie_yank

did you forget one? snake oil....Glen Smart142

OUCH!!! That took my breath away :biglaugh: The ironic part is that I haven't sold SCHMART any snake oil becuase he drives a gas smart and the originator of the thead is a bigger snake oil salesman than I :tongue3:

Liberal use of smileys aside, I can't tell how much of this is joking and how much is insulting. If anyone needs me to wield the mod stick, pm me. - Steven

just joking...the first thing i would do if i win the mega lottery will be to adopt Glen.....for the mods.....he's probably installed more cruise controls than anyone and i would add mine runs beautifully since he installed it, plus an expert on the window upgrades, washer mod, seat heater installation, gorilla alarms......he's also right..i never use fuel additive with the gasser.

That is what stems my concerns. But mostly, my objection is necessity. Or lack there of. These threads are popular... and popular threads float to the top. I just don't see the need to sticky them. I'm a stickler for stickies :) - Steven

Steve, as usual I gotta agree with youtoo many 'experts' , too much bias etcgood ideas will always float to the top...let that happen naturally, rather than through appointed ( or worse, self-appointed) experts( an expert , I was once told, is an 'expensive S.O.B. from out of town')does evilution , for example,know more than so-and-so about such-and such ?probably....kill this idea....anyone spending any time on this forum will know who is whoregards to allharald

There is a point to be made that, it is getting more and more difficult to find the answers to obvious (and repeating) questions... I do believe there are 'definitive' answers, be it that 'definitive' may be a list of 'options' and 'solutions'.All that said, forums are good, but only to a point. Some time ago, we were looking at having a static site with permanent info posted... that may have to be seriously looked at again.

Yeah, that was the plan from the beginning. And you are absolutely correct - discussion forums have their limits. I would like to see the "best" how-tos, etc be formulated into a website. Or, perhaps just more integrated cooperation with a site like Evilutions if we can't seem to get around to it. - Steven

I personally like the layout that http://autopia.org/forum has with their "Learning Library" It has alot of useful information for people who are NEW to car cleaning and detailing so something similar could be implemented here with popular proven mods, ideas, How To's or some such but I also just wanted to point out this link as it is a very good place to read up on good ways to keep your vehicle nice and shiney.

Yeah, that was the plan from the beginning. And you are absolutely correct - discussion forums have their limits. I would like to see the "best" how-tos, etc be formulated into a website. Or, perhaps just more integrated cooperation with a site like Evilutions if we can't seem to get around to it.

- Steven

I think that is the direction to go. Kane's smart car encyclopedia, www.evilution.co.uk is the premier smart site for sharing this knowledge. Note that he's been adding many basic informational pages lately for new smarties.

There are a couple of splinter startups, but I think they are of no greater (and mostly lesser) value than Evilution's.

Bil :sun:

Actually.....Wasn't TFM working on a website to go along with the forum? I seem to remember it was going to have a spot for "How To's:"...what ever happened to that? DangP.S.Modification (no smoke) = ExpertModification (smoke) = Pioneer!

Its an interesting idea.... and I mean no offense to anyone, but there's nothing particular that makes any one person more of an authority than someone else. I mean... I have no doubt that the person to talk to about bulbs is Eddiex3, but if I put it that way as a sticky then what about Joe X that thinks he's the king of the filament? As well, its doubtful all (if any) of the people labeled as the "expert" will want the attention it bings... potentially flooded with pms, etc.Its a discussion forum, and the threads should be the focus, not the authors. If those threads become the defacto standard for a topic, then great!Unless I've missed the point, I don't think there's a reason to make a sticky out of it. Of course, had you accepted the nomination for prez, Mr. Gladstone, you could simply make me :)hehe.Seriously... explain more here or via pm if you want to change my mind. I'm open. - Steven

What exactly does that mean?? "make a sticky out of it" ???

A "sticky" is a thread (topic within the forum) that a moderator (me) "sticks" to the top of the list in the forum listing so that it is always at the top where people can see it.It is deemed more important than a "normal" non-sticky topic.You'll see them in almost every section of the forum at the top of the list of topics there are often one or more that are prefixed with the word "Sticky" - Steven

post-8-1182919777.gif

A "sticky" is a thread (topic within the forum) that a moderator (me) "sticks" to the top of the list in the forum listing so that it is always at the top where people can see it.It is deemed more important than a "normal" non-sticky topic.You'll see them in almost every section of the forum at the top of the list of topics there are often one or more that are prefixed with the word "Sticky" - Steven

okey dokey, i was wonderin, now i know.Thanx Steven.