Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

2008 Pacific Northwest Smart Event At The BC Driving Centre

473 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some Smart owners has been bouncing this idea with me back and forth for the last couple of years. So I'll try to take the lead to see if there is enough interest to organise a track day (driver's education) for Smart car owners/drivers. This will probably be a one day event at the Mission Raceway. The cost will roughly be about $250 if we can split it among 30 people. If there are less participants, or if you want more track time to yourself. The cost will go up.

I know serveral advance driving school and most of the driving instructors. I use to be one at one time or another. So we will set-up a very interesting day for you to learn and enjoy your Smart car.

I am planning this for next year (2008). So some of you speed demon will have plenty of time to get yourself and the car to your liking. Although, this is not a timed event. So no prices or competition even if you are the fastest. This is about how well you can handle your Smart car.

At some point we will start a name list and deposits will be taken to reserve your place. This will also be posted at Star Lounge.

Edit by Gent: the location has changed to the BC Driving Centre in Pitt Meadows. If you are just reading this thread, please continue reading to see how this event has developed - and sign up!

Edited by Gent

That sounds like a fun day in 2008, count me in if we can get enough interest.

I'm in. I should be able to scrape enough dough together by then. lol

So this will cost $250 each person if we get 30 people... Is that right? $7500, divided by the number of people who sign up?I don't know anything about these type events. Sounds a lot of money...B:sun:

So this will cost $250 each person if we get 30 people... Is that right? $7500, divided by the number of people who sign up?I don't know anything about these type events. Sounds a lot of money...B:sun:

Anyone who had experience in motorsport either by watching on television, attending a race, or actually involved by working at the track or within a team knows going on the track is expensive. Track rental plus insurance for a single car only for a day on this small local track - starting at $5000 (more then one car on the track at the same time the insurance sky rockets.Hiring an advanced driving team of 5-10 people with experienced management cost a few dollars as well.Catering and hospitality is extra.You can possibly run 40- 50 people to split the cost. But I remind you the cost will go up marginally to manage every additional person; and your time on the track will be reduced.I must also remind everyone that the moment you are on the track you are not covered by your life insurance, your car is not covered by your street insurance, and you will be asked to sign a waiver to assume all risk of life and death. Further, your car will be subject to extreme wear and tare on brakes, tire, suspension, engine, and clutch.But hack! It's a lot of fun :doublethumb:

This is a major major event, with much planning involved... no doubt there will be high horsepower gasoline smarts there as well. I would suggest too, that we consider spectator pricing once we have the track secured with primary participants. And make it the biggest smart event in the west coast thus far... inviting US participants as well, of course, who will have cars by 2008.

:drool3: Heck, by then I might be up to the challenge of "West Coast smart Show #3". I needed a vacation this year.

This is a major major event, with much planning involved... no doubt there will be high horsepower gasoline smarts there as well. I would suggest too, that we consider spectator pricing once we have the track secured with primary participants. And make it the biggest smart event in the west coast thus far... inviting US participants as well, of course, who will have cars by 2008.

Not really. There are driving schools like this 2-3 times a week at any given track each summer. This is one way for track owners to make money for up keeps of the tracks and paying the huge amount of property tax. Advanced driving schools promote to many corporates and few car clubs.Yes, next year we'll get to compare the 450 against the 451. Of course it should be hands down of no comparison in performance. At least this region maybe the first to host such an event. Normally we don't charge for friends and family to spectate such event. For beginners, they might not want too many friends and families to see how well they fair. While they have much confident on their everyday driving. Remember, this is not a race. It is a Advanced Driving Event. However, if you want to turn it into a caravan at the race track. That is a different story.

I mean to say, 'let us make this a big SMART event'..... Gent got it.BIG

I mean to say, 'let us make this a big SMART event'..... Gent got it.BIG

I see. A Smart caravan, car show, picnic, family BBQ all in one. Maybe even a Tuner's Grand Prix. :lol:

I don't mean to steal your thunder Eddy, I just want to add to it! ;-)All of the above, and whatever else we can come up with... let's go BIG. 200 cars show up... Now we're talking.

Smart Track Gathering - This sounds like a fun idea! So here's the problem.Me in NYC and All of you in Vancouver = 3,014 Miles or 44 hrsPlease tell me someone rents smarts in your neck of the woods! :smitten:

Yes, there are smarts for rent for sure... I had a vision one time of synchroniCITIES - two huge smart events on the same weekend on opposite sides of the continent.

Smart Track Gathering - This sounds like a fun idea! So here's the problem.Me in NYC and All of you in Vancouver = 3,014 Miles or 44 hrsPlease tell me someone rents smarts in your neck of the woods! :smitten:

Just make sure you don't tell the rental company that it is for a track day; can you say FREAKOUT!!!!! :-)Actually, I don't think you would want to take a rental on a track - not only could there be some doubt about things like brakes and steering and tires, but if anything goes wrong, no insurance.MG

Well if you all are quite serious about this. We should commit early for a better date. Notoriously weekend dates are reserved for races. Either drag racing, road racing, or vintage racing. I recall some of you were invited to the vintage race the first year the Smart arrived. So you have a rough idea how the facility was like.Weekend dates also cost more. Good dates should be booked and paid a year ahead.Sorry, no 24 Hours as this track is very close to the city. As the matter of fact, no cars to be on track before 9 am and after 5 pm.

I would never tell a rental agency I needed a car for a racing event. :tongue3: More importantly, I am definitely not going to race or zoom around the track but I would love the experience of being there with a smart. Please figure how much it will cost for a newbie ( :tremble: ) smart driver to attend the event without racing.On second thought, I would love to volunteer for the job of holding the starter flag or checkered flag at the end of the meet while driving the smart. Maybe I could drive along the side of the track with the flag...that way I can tell the family I was in the race (sort of). :doublethumb:

I think this idea has a lot of potential. A 24 hour event doesn't mean it all has to happen at the same venue either. What time of year are we talking? Summer would open the most potential, especially if you wanted to attract 200 cars. Mid-week shouldn't be an issue in the summer.

I think the potential to host it under better weather will have to be at least late June, early July, or even August. Most Vancouverites should agree with me on this. Like this year, we've been living under frigid teen degrees celcius, grey or rainy skies for the first 6 moths of the year.First week of July comes to my mind as many of us on both side of the border takes extra long weekend vacation for either Canada Day July 1st and 4th of July American holiday.

I readily agree that early July would be good. But too, I think it ought to be a Saturday or Sunday for the main event. And around Mission, there are so many places for camping and other accomodations that aren't expensive...