Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

2008 Pacific Northwest Smart Event At The BC Driving Centre

473 posts in this topic

I've retitled this thread, and moved it to somewhere more visible... it deserves to gather some momentum.Eddy - what weekend dates are available? Do we pick one of the two days on a weekend, or do we have to take both? How soon do we need to deposit to secure a date?

I've retitled this thread, and moved it to somewhere more visible... it deserves to gather some momentum.Eddy - what weekend dates are available? Do we pick one of the two days on a weekend, or do we have to take both? How soon do we need to deposit to secure a date?

I had mentioned some of the dates earlier. Being the 1st week of July. Both Canadians and Americans could stretch into a week long vacation. Is June 30th a holiday in Canada? I think that works the best. We should discuss with track officials and place a deposit and set a date now. For participants, a full payment should be required. Because if they don't show, no one will cough up the balance.

I'm still skeptical of mid-week mega events... if there is one day that is a track day at Mission raceway, I would urge it to be a weekend date. I could go on a Monday myself, having said all that.

Well, what about Saturday July 5, or Sunday July 6?Or Sunday June 29?

I've retitled this thread, and moved it to somewhere more visible... it deserves to gather some momentum.

Seconded and 'stickied'.Here's the list again for the second page:1/ Mike T 2/ smartzuuk 3/ Gent 4/ Calvin (For2) 5/ rrrucke

Mario (Gerri) and I might be up for it if it was on a weekend!Cheers,Cameron

Talked to Eddy today...I think we should aim for a weekend date, early July 2008.To get this off the ground, we need 20 people to step up with $250 deposits... we will then build the event around a core program. The core being what Eddy originally has suggested.So, please step up if you want to be a part. Obviously, we need people who can both organize in advance, and help when the day arrives.

Again - I'm in; However, I want to be able to have fun and not just run around making sure everything's ok. That sucks.

Right... and nor can we chase everyone down to sign up. We do need to consider access to e-mail though, to target the information to those geographically 'near'.Again, we need about 20 people willing to commit to this event ahead of time. Even just to gauge interest, we'd appreciate your reply.

Spoke to Morrisport today. They want $10,000 to host the day. I said ouch. But that was with catering and such for 30. I think CsC can host our own event and hire them for the track session management. Weekend dates are definately out; like I mentioned before. Hopefully we can tag-on to a Monday or Friday of the long weekend. But usually those are reserved rain dates for races.You will have to remember, there are road races, drag races, and bike races all through the summer. There are 8-10 races per series. There are not enough weekends to fight for dates on this single track that we have near the Greater Vancouver Area.In any case, they are busy for the Indy race in Alberta next week.

Perhaps we can get some tarmac like the guys did for the Mini Challenge and put this on ourselves? Cones, porta-potty, a volunteer with Industrial First Aid, a BBQ and a bullet-proof waiver...I'm at work, so I can't call right now, but:Pitt Meadows Airport SocietyPhone: 604-465-8977Fax: 604-465-4512E-mail: cypk@direct.caWebsite: www.pittmeadowsairport.com

Darn. I was hoping I could stay lazy. Alright. I'll call and make some inquiries.:(

Inquiries made!Our timing seems to be pretty good. They are expanding the pavement in that area and they expect to have something on the order of 250' x 1000' pavement (and possibly twice that) by the time we need it!I spoke with Jerry Coke at Driving Unlimited about it - they are still in the development stages, but they are interested in giving us some ideas and costs. Stay tuned...

Here is part of our email correspondence:

"Thank you for your email. We are currently in the construction phase of our new purpose built driver training facility at the Pitt Meadows Airport. This facility will be about 500' x 1000' in size and will be runway quality asphalt. We are about 3 - 4 weeks from being done the first phase, which will be 250' x 1000', and we should have the second half done for your program time frame. As you know,we are currently using the runway for driver training (75' x 1200'), so our new facility will be substantially bigger, even after the first phase. The facility is between the two parallel runways that run East West, directly South of the runway that you used in the Spring. We have a website at bcdrivingcentre.com that you can look at. I would be happy to book you a date, just let me know which day you are looking at. The cost for clubs will be $1000 per day, whether it is weekend or weekday, and dates are given on a first come/first served basis.

If you are interested, we can also put an instructional day package together for you as I am part of Driving Unlimited (drivingunlimited.com on the internet).

Let me know if I can pencil you in for a date in 2008, or if you have any further questions."

Sounds pretty good eh?!

This looks very attractive to me even though it is not a purpose build race track. Good enough for most inexperienced and budget in mind drivers to play with.Great find.

Okay - works for me - but where can we get anti-collision lights and does this mean turbine powered cars are okay? (snicker)Heck 250' x 1000' we could get 100 smarts out there and still have room!Cheers,Cameron

10 people, $100 each, booked... we can dress up the event as we go and distribute the cost accordingly...Do I hear $100?1) smartzuuk

What dates? Our time is not our own sometimes so I need to see if it fits before committing. Also - can you make it start say after 9:30 so us Island types don't show up an hour late.Cheers,Cameron

This is all theoretical at this time, so sure!I need to see if we have enough interest first. Then we can fine tune it - we are looking at a year from now after all, at a site that is under the radar for the other automotive enthusiasts (for the moment). We have some time to make sure of the details.