Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

2008 Pacific Northwest Smart Event At The BC Driving Centre

473 posts in this topic

I'm ok with the $100 however I really don't want to flog my smarts for the day, I do plan to keep them for a long while. I would be interested in the milder portions of the event and watching the goings on.

I'm kinda thinking - Show and Shine, BBQ and Driving Instruction with perhaps a timed lap competition at the end for those who want to participate...

Did I mention National rents smarts here - of course there is always "Hey Barry - we are having an event - can we borrow a smart from TPM" -(naw they have been good to us).I am not into engine blowing - car rolling things - be nice to put the cars side by side (or side by stopwatch) and see within reason what the enhancements do real world. A couple of WOT runs won't be much different than the highway stoplights.How hard is it to get a G meter and see where the break point is for cornering? That can maybe done at a nice safe low speed. That and the Dukes of Hazzards "ramp o' death"......Cheers,Cameron

Can we camp out at your apartment; or are you run as B&B? :biglaugh:July 1st is on Tuesday. Is Monday a public holiday as well?

i just found this thread and i think it is a great idea and eddie we can have a swart camp out at my place we can fit a 100 cars in my yard easy but you will have to sleep in your cars and pee in the bushes accross the street :lol: but seriusly mission is a great track with lots of tight corners and complex sections and as its a short track the low hp of these cars shouldnt be a problem.If any one needs to stay some where i have extra rooms and a big yard

Inquiries made!Our timing seems to be pretty good. They are expanding the pavement in that area and they expect to have something on the order of 250' x 1000' pavement (and possibly twice that) by the time we need it!I spoke with Jerry Coke at Driving Unlimited about it - they are still in the development stages, but they are interested in giving us some ideas and costs. Stay tuned...

tradex at abby airport is also a option we race motards there and we could even throw in the dirt section for some rally minded folks haha just kidding but yeas tradex is a not bad option to

I'd love to get back to Vancouver; however, not sure at this time that we could make it. I'm thinking when the time comes maybe there'd be someone there who'd try a remap on my gasser. Anyway - just wanted to say I'd be willing to put in $100 toward that track reservation if you go ahead with it. Just tell me how to get the $$ to you.Darryl

Vancouver Smart – Pitt Meadows Gathering

July 4 – July 6, 2008 (Friday through Sunday)

Show and Shine, BBQ and Driving Instruction with perhaps a timed lap competition at the end for those who want to participate. Along with Small prizes and trophies.

Possible Location:

Pitt Meadows Airport Society

Phone: 604-465-8977

Fax: 604-465-4512

E-mail: cypk@direct.ca

Map: http://www.pittmeadowsairport.com/location.html

About the Location: Pitt Meadows Airport is currently in the construction phase of a new purpose built driver training facility about 500' x 1000' in size and will be runway quality asphalt. As of 7/18/07, they are about 3 - 4 weeks from being done with their first phase, which will be 250' x 1000'. The second phase will be completed in time for our event in the summer of 2008. At present, they are using the runway for driver training (75' x 1200'), so their new facility will be substantially bigger, even after the first phase. The facility is between the two parallel runways that run East and West, directly South of the runway that is used in the Spring. Checkout their website at bcdrivingcentre.com for more information about their location and offerings. They are willing to book our event but they need a date confirmation. If we are interested, Driving Unlimited can put together an instructional day package for us.

Airport Contact: Jerry Coke at Driving Unlimited

Event Coordinator: Gent (Tentative)

Daily Cost of Track: $1,000 (any day of the week)

Sponsors:

Booth Displays & Vendors:

Caterer:

Lodging:

Event Activities:

Possible Participants:

1) smartzuuk

2) Gent

3) Speedie

4) Smartie Yank

5) Fast Eddy

6) mwrunt

7) rdij

8 ) rrrucke

9) mikeT

10) bilgladstone

11) eddie3

12) valgardforkbeard

13) royskybell

14) schmart

15) for2

16) ganisa

17)

18 )

19)

20)

OK folks, let's get this party started! Please forgive my boldness but really should select a date and decide how many days to sponsor this wonderful CsC Event. Please feel free to chime in - all constructive feedback is appreciated.

Some ideas for now and not in order:

First order of business - Pick a Date

Second - Decide how many days (I think two would be good, say Saturday & Sunday)

Third - Confirm Deposit Amount since we know $1,000 per day, but how much to "set a date(s)" with the Airport and when they will need the initial deposit.

Fourth - Who will be the Official Event Coordinators

Fifth - Decide if we will use PayPal (I have an account or if maybe someone in Vancouver has one, they can organize the payment)

Lastly, whoever the moderator is for this section, can you lock my initial post outlining the "tentative event" so it can be edited by only one or two people. I'll volunteer as secretary for this event if no one objects.

Thanks,

Regina

I've received some professional advice, and we need to get another quote from these guys. It'll be more money, but we should get them to put on the driver training so that it is at least partially their liability and not that of a private individual or the club.Working on it now.

I would suggest that we have one track day, be it a Saturday or Sunday... However, as part of the 'weekend', there would be several other activities to take in on the other weekend day. A choice of a couple different drives with themed stops. Perhaps a Circle Tour of the Fraser Valley.... Fraser Canyon? Camping and lodging too is another opportunity for owners to get togther, especially those travelling some distance. The 6th to 8th is a good weekend to choose in that respect. There is PLENTY of great camping choices. And for those that want the creature comforts of a hotel, etc... there are no doubt a huge selection nearby as well.

Since I live in Pitt Meadows, I would certainly be interested in attending. There is a nice hotel here but there's not a lot of good camping spots really close by.

That negative camber ate him on the corner. I guess he needed to pit to change underwear...:lol:

As I have said, the gasoline engine sounds SO much better than the diesel! I drove one of those roadsters in France in 2005 and it was a total hoot!

I traded cars with one of our American buddies this past weekend. We did a little drive around and put the boot to each other's engines on the highway. The gas is quicker and definitely more civilized when it comes to ride and noise.Mine still looked cooler - even though it was in the rearview mirror.:lol:

I traded cars with one of our American buddies this past weekend. We did a little drive around and put the boot to each other's engines on the highway. The gas is quicker and definitely more civilized when it comes to ride and noise.Mine still looked cooler - even though it was in the rearview mirror.:lol:

You should find someone to trade with you perminately. It should be too difficult to find someone interest on a diesel State side.

If I could find a black on black with equal (or better) mileage and the same (or better) options, I think I would. And then I'd have you make me a 101. :doublethumb:

If I could find a black on black with equal (or better) mileage and the same (or better) options, I think I would. And then I'd have you make me a 101. :doublethumb:

Most G&K Smart have plenty of options. Many US owners treat them as exotic luxury cars. Only we Canadian as we now find it common on our land that we drive them to the ground.

Should know soon. They have been involved in a big multi-club event they had scheduled, and I've been busy as well.

Sounds like a great idea Eddy. :doublethumb: Count me in. Mabey combine it with a Smart car show/ display.??? Talk to you soon.......DEBO

"We can do a program for up to 24 people for you which would run from 08:30 - 16:00 or so, which would include handbooks for all participants for $3250. This program would have 4 - 5 Driving Unlimited instructors and would qualify each of the participants for a 10% discount on their collision portion of their insurance for 5 years if they are insured with Canadian Direct Insurance. We would do a variety of training exercises including vision slalom, braking, collision avoidance, lane change etc. I could put together a more comprehensive info package if something like this works for you. Please let me know your thoughts..." :doublethumb:

Sounds great but darn what if we have 200+ people who want to come next year? 24 is such a small number. :sniffle: