Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

2008 Pacific Northwest Smart Event At The BC Driving Centre

473 posts in this topic

We can always make a show and shine separate from the track event. There is no point worrying about 200 people at this stage.Besides, getting 24 of us to part with $135.42 (before taxes) in advance is more difficult than you think. Trust me, it's like herding cats.

Ok let's start nailing this down. We'll start with a theoretical date.How about Saturday, August 16th, 2008?

Count me in. Say, are we going to make this a weekend meet and consider it our 2008 International Smart Event for Canada & the US? Ok...don't hate me...I'm just dreaming big.

On the face of it, that date would be good! Regina, I look forward to meeting you. Will you be driving here in your smart?

If we start organizing this now and get some volunteers going, I can get behind West Coast smart Show #3!

As we said earlier in the posting count For2 in.As usual this weekend is looking very interesting! :doublethumb:

"Besides, getting 24 of us to part with $135.42 (before taxes) in advance is more difficult than you think. Trust me, it's like herding cats."

:smirk: Hey that's my favorite commercial.... We're sold; you can have our $$$.$$ any time.Sorry I don't know how to paste that commercial here!

On the face of it, that date would be good! Regina, I look forward to meeting you. Will you be driving here in your smart?

Mike it would be nice to meet you as well. However, if this is only a day event, it would be a stretch to drive 3,039 miles. I'll wait and see how things develop before I commit 100%. Maybe I can rent a smart in your neck of the woods. Any ideas??Thanks,Regina

Just don't rent it from National - they charged $90 + a day - then had the gall to tell me after the fact that anything over 200km was charged at $.25 per km!!!!! None of the other cars they rent have that "feature".Been meaning to post a warning.We are probably in for this too if it is on a weekend.Cheers,Cameron

Hey all,I'm trying to read between the lines in these messages... and I kinda gets lost in the soup. :dunno: Is this for a "Get Together" up in BC for 2008? If so, I might be interested (and hopefully, I'll have my new Cabrio). I live north of Seattle and I would like to meet other people driving their Smarts.I'm not really interested in racing... and that's where I'm kinda confused on whether that's changed (?).If somebody could please recap on what's going on, I'd really appreciate it. :doublethumb::thanx: -Tom L.

Yep, it will be a get-together. The primary discussion is about a smart-specific advanced driver training course - not really a race per se. More like getting to know the limits of our vehicles and being able to take confident advantage of the performance up to those limits.If possible, we will also do another Show and Shine alongside this event. We didn't do one this summer, but we have done two in the past. I can't see a reason why it won't happen, unless there are limitations at the venue.

I dare say the charter subscribers to the annual event will soon need to consider ponying up the few $$ req'd to secure dates.

Co$t:Yeah- that's a sticking point.I'd like to drive up and get together with people, see and look at other Smart cars.From the discussion here, it seems a little pricy for what I want to do. If it cost around $20 (USD) or so, I'd be interested. but when you're talking about over $100, well... I'll pass on that.-Tom L.

Yeah, I'm going to find out what kind of deposit needs to be ponied up before we can book a date.

i would have to say i wouldnt bother. the only reason i say this is the cost and the fact that these cars dont like to be pushed. After setting up the track for motorbikes the race directer and i took mine out on the track and it was more frustrating then fun.the front end pushes in the corner and under steers then the traction controll kills the power. after about 2 laps the system gets so pissed it shuts itself down. With no traction controll it became a little more fun but to over come the understeer we strted ebraking turns and everstabbing the brakes to tranfer more weight onto the front end. but ass soon as the car senses a strong ebrake the computer kills power to the engine. taking all the fun out of this

Learning the limitations of the vehicle are a reason as good as any other. I already play with pushing the limits of my car and see how close I can get before the ESP starts giving me a hard time. Thanks for your input.

I have never read as eloquent an argument in favour of wider wheels and tires. My car is a ball to drive on corners!

And the sport suspension on mine is the same. I am itching to get some wider rubber as well. Never can seem to afford it though...

I have never read as eloquent an argument in favour of wider wheels and tires. My car is a ball to drive on corners!

i have wider wheels 175 fronts and 205 rears its just to lite in the front end and the compter back feeds to much to have any fun

The 205s are the problem....the stagger of 2 cm front/rear is optimal, or better still 1 cm if you have the 195/205s on 16s. Your arse end is too sticky!