Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

2008 Pacific Northwest Smart Event At The BC Driving Centre

473 posts in this topic

OK, it's just smartune that is MIA. I'll give him until tomorrow and then free up his spot.

When: Saturday, August 2nd, 2008

This facility will be about 500' x 1000' in size and will be runway quality asphalt. The facility has a website at bcdrivingcentre.com that you can look at...

The program is for up to 24 people which would run from 08:30 - 16:00 or so, and include handbooks for all participants for $3250 (approx $140 each). This program will have 4 - 5 Driving Unlimited instructors and would qualify each of the participants for a 10% discount on their collision portion of their insurance for 5 years if they are insured with Canadian Direct Insurance. We will do a variety of training exercises including vision slalom, braking, collision avoidance, lane change etc..."

The List

24> Gent - Deposit Received

23> Todd - Deposit Received

22> FastEddy - Deposit arrangements made

21> bilgladstone - Deposit Received - actually $100

20> DEBO - Deposit in the mail

19> Mike T - Deposit Received

18> arlenem - Deposit Received

17> ganisa - Deposit Received

16> Peter H - Deposit in the mail

15> Coast Steve - Deposit Received

14> PAS-LTD - Deposit in the mail

13> For2 - Deposit Received

12> GanisaII - Deposit Received

11> Lee - Deposit Received

10> Snow_Dogs - Deposit Received

09> SmartieUSA Bob - Deposit Received

08> SmartieUSA Arlie - Deposit Received

07> Smartune - ?

06> Cameron - Deposit Received

05> Gerri - Deposit Received

04> B Tisshaw - Deposit Received

03> Ganisa III - Deposit Received

02> Jennifer T - Deposit in the mail

01> Lee - DAVID - Deposit Received

email: smart42 at shaw dot ca

Update:

- Whoops - smartune got hold of me to say he is coming. Mea Culpa, I didn't get a PM notification!

- I received Cheques from DEBO and the MikeT clan - thanks.

This facility will be about 500' x 1000' in size and will be runway quality asphalt. The facility has a website at bcdrivingcentre.com that you can look at...

The program is for up to 24 people which would run from 08:30 - 16:00 or so, and include handbooks for all participants for $3250 (approx $140 each). This program will have 4 - 5 Driving Unlimited instructors and would qualify each of the participants for a 10% discount on their collision portion of their insurance for 5 years if they are insured with Canadian Direct Insurance. We will do a variety of training exercises including vision slalom, braking, collision avoidance, lane change etc..."

The List

22> FastEddy - Deposit Received

20> DEBO - Deposit Received

16> Peter H - Deposit in the mail

07> Cameron - Deposit Received

06> Gerri - Deposit Received

05> B Tisshaw - Deposit Received

04> Ganisa III - Deposit Received

03> Jennifer T - Deposit Received - actually $100

02> Lee - DAVID - Deposit Received

01> smartune - Deposit?

Edit: to provide deposit and attendance updates

Edited by Gent

When do I have to fax the rest of the payment??I'd like to order 4 shirts (One XXL, three medium)Any further instructions, we are getting very exited. A few more sleeps only!!!Thanks,Carlos :D

I'm hoping that they will take the deposit now, and collect the remainder on the day of the event.

The List

16> Peter H - Deposit Received

01> smartune - Deposit?

Here is an agenda for the day!Smart Club Driving Dynamics EventAugust 2, BC Driving Centre OverviewThe day commences at 0830 with a performance driving classroom. This classroom addresses seating position, steering techniques, mirror adjustment, advanced vision techniques, braking techniques, and the concepts behind collision avoidance. After the classroom, drivers head to their cars and start with the exercises. Everyone will get multiple runs in each exercise so that they can perfect the skill sets. Lunch will be from 1200-1300. After lunch the group will finish a final round of exercises then we will move to the next phase. The exercises that were used prior will be linked together to form a mini autocross course. After a quick briefing on specific autocross techniques and driving dynamics, drivers will then get multiple runs in the course. After everyone is comfortable with the course, we will time 2 laps from each driver. The winner will not be the fastest, but the driver who is the most consistent and has the smallest gap between the two times. After the competition, there will be a brief wrap-up in the tent where drivers will receive Advanced Driving Handbooks and have the chance to ask any questions. Below is the summary of the various exercises we will be doing throughout the day: Vision SlalomThis exercise helps develop peripheral vision skills as well as smooth steering techniques. Students learn to train their vision so they instinctively look where they want to go rather than looking at what they are trying to avoid in an emergency situation. Participants are instructed to weave back and forth through a row of cones at a slow to medium speed while an instructor stands at the end of the course. Upon the instructor raising and lowering a cone in his hand, the participants are to immediately skip the cone they are about to drive around. The participants who successfully skip the cones demonstrate that they are using high-aim vision. Emergency BrakingThis exercise teaches participants the fastest and safest way to stop their vehicles either with or without ABS brakes. It reinforces high-aim vision as well as teaches participants to be smooth and precise with the controls. From a start line, participants accelerate to 60 km towards a braking zone marked with cones. When the nose of their car has entered the braking zone, they will apply the brakes and get their car come to a complete stop as quickly as possible. Participants learn the limits of their own vehicles and how quickly they can stop. This serves as an important awareness builder for students to realize how long it actually takes to stop a vehicle—especially as the speeds increase. Braking on TurnThe objective of this exercise is to allow participants to experience the fastest and safest way to stop their vehicles while going around a curve with or without ABS brakes. Vision skills are called upon to “look through the corner” and skills of smooth brake application are utilized to keep the car balanced while applying maximum braking force to a turning car. Participants accelerate to 50 km towards a braking zone on a curve marked by cones. As the drivers enter the curve, brakes are applied as they look ahead. This exercise again allows the participants to understand the physics and the limitations of their vehicles and success is determined by proper use of high-aim vision and braking skills. Collision AvoidanceThis is the exercise where all of the skills learned throughout the session are put together to gain the ultimate “One Second Advantage”. In this exercise, the toughest one of all, success can only be realized if all of the skills are in place. This exercise is a chance for drivers to practice many “mini emergencies” in a controlled environment with only cones to hit. The participants will drive towards a section of cones with two lane choices. An instructor will give them a last-minute signal to turn either left, right or come to a complete stop. Drivers must practice high-aim vision in order to have enough reaction time to successfully maneuver around the cones. This exercise allows them to further develop vision techniques, see what their reaction/perception time is, and learn how to react properly in an emergency/high stress situation. Medium and High Speed Lane ChangeThis simulates an emergency lane change maneuver, again demonstrating the importance of vision and smoothness and perfecting those skills. This consists of single and double lane change scenarios. Brake-Look-SteerMost drivers, when faced with an object in their path, simply focus their vision on it and steer straight into it - they can't help but do that when looking directly at it. This exercise teaches drivers to unlock their vision and look for the escape route, so they can then steer around it.

I guess the old eyes-squeezed-shut-panic-brake-pray-for-the-best technique is not favored by these instructors? :watchout:

Seems I may have to adapt my driving style for the event then.

I hit the road next Friday so the PITT event starts sooner for me, and MB West Island had Orange Crush in for three days on a super B

and bunches of extra work, discs, pads, wheel balancing, V belts etc 'cause I don't want to break down just outside of Brandon Manitoba

for a ten buck part failure. Planning 1000 or so KMS per day, but I'll have to see how things go.

Nuts to think the week I get back I have an A service scheduled.

17 more sleeps 'till THE PITT, :zzz:

With two drivers, may I recommend driving straight through 24 h to get the hell out of Northern Ontario? You really don't want to stop there ;) I did Montréal to BC in three days with my dad back in 1998, that was great, and it included some sightseeing in southern Alberta too!

Thunder Bay to the Ferry dock - easy in 36 hours solo pretty much non-stop - okay so I am not as young anymore and it was too frigging cold in Dec. to stop - Really watch the prairies for sleeping drivers - also remember that if you are driving at night there are not a heck of a lot of gas stations open late for extended distances - fill up if you can.Well I did Prospect Lake Road and Munns Road the other day - no cones - at least the orange kind - but nothing fell off the car so I guess we are good to go!Gent - do you need more $???? Or are they collecting it at the track?Cheers,Cameron

Wow... I am getting the wobblies just reading the day's agenda!

Lunch will be from 1200-1300.

Is this time during which we can get together with other smarties who ares there for the Show/Shine (or just to observe), or...?:sun:

Gent,Sounds like they are providing a tent? Do you still require my two canopy type tents?Cheers Deb...

Power has been twitchy in my place the last few days. Gastown has been kinda "Developing-nation-y" with electricity this week. Sorry for the delay!

Gent - do you need more $???? Or are they collecting it at the track?

Apparently not - I offered, but there has been no comment on that subject.

Is this time during which we can get together with other smarties who ares there for the Show/Shine (or just to observe), or...?

Sure, its our time to do with as we please!

Sounds like they are providing a tent? Do you still require my two canopy type tents?

I think we still might need your tents. I'm still waiting to hear from them on the tent issue.

No problem.I have lots of room as Bill is staying home to look after the pups, so I can fold down the passenger seat and cram them in.Just let me know if there is anything else I can bring or do to help out.Cheers Deb...

Update:

My God people, Blair (BTisshaw) has put an incredible effort together for this event. I picked up a parcel today the contents were a sample t-shirt, name tag, and plaque-style award from Blair for my perusal. It's incredible!

Thanks Blair!

And everyone has thrown in their deposit (and then some in a few cases):

The List

14> PAS-LTD - Deposit Received - actually $100

01> smartune - Deposit Received

Ok gang, I'm going to split the dinner and Show and Shine stuff off from the Driving event topic just to keep people from being confused about the lists. Just track-related stuff in here from this point on please.

Ok people, we have a spot available! If you've been kicking yourself for missing out on this, you have a second chance to get in now!

The List

22> SPOT AVAILABLE!

01> smartune - Deposit Received

Hmm... did Eddy have the only 451 on the track? 451 has to be represented... I'll take the spot. - Steven

If another space comes open -- My dear husband Douglas (who is working in Wisconsin this week) would give quite a lot to have that experience. He has often spoken about taking one of the racing courses and would love to take his Phaedra out on the course!!We'd be happy to come over from Victoria for that!

I took the spot mainly because I didn't want people experiencing a cost increase last minute (ie. to help out). So if your husband wants it more than I, then I'll give it up - especially if it means more people coming to the event! My insurance is already 10% less than Canadian Direct and I'm already a perfect driver so I don't need the training (yeah right). Seriously, I'm content with watching. I'm also happy to take any spot vacated by a late-ditcher.... so just look at me as a substitute.So Pondside can have the #22 spot. I'll bring $140 cash and be ready to jump in at the event if for some reason someone else can't make it. - Steven

Hey Bil - another $50?! You have now overpaid me, mon frere. :D

Steven, you spoke up first for the spot, but I did get a disappointed message yesterday from smartune at 9:07 PM that he wished he had grabbed the extra spot for a friend. I should have started a "stand-by" list for the event. It was your spot, so you can give it to whomever you wish (of course); however, I think I'll put smartune down as officially hoping for another spot. I've left your name in the list until Pondside posts an acceptance.

The List

24> Gent - FULLY PAID

23> Todd - Fully paid

22> Smartieparts

21> bilgladstone - Fully paid - actually $150