Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DropDeadRed

Moving to the USA for 2 years??

3 posts in this topic

About a year from now I am likely to be moving to Houston for a two year stint. I would LIKE to take my 2005 fourtwo with me...I've read about taking it for ONE year with Canadian plates... what if I drive it back to Canada for the weekend in the middle there? How about down to mexico for the weekend?Would I keep my Canadian plates that I currently have on it or would I be better to switch to a province where I have family and access to a Canadian mailing address?Where would I get insurance from then? Canadian insurance or local insurance? Would I then need to have a drivers licence in whatever province?Bleh! Maybe I should just go hardcore american and lease a hummer for two years :PDDR

Visa wise it will 99% chance be an L1B intercompany transfer visa good for 3 years. DDR

When I lived in NC, I was a good boy and registered my car down there (it wasn't my smart...), while some of my friends kept their Canadian plate. I ended up paying property taxes for my car and paying to re-register when I came back to Canada. My friends paid their registration on-line for the Canadian plates and noone was the wiser. From what I've seen, there's so many Canadian health care workers down in the US, it's become commonplace to see foreign plates - and in reality it would take quite a while for them to catch up with you. Then if they do - plead ignorance and pony up then.