Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

"What I did this summer vacation?"

33 posts in this topic

^^

Me.. nothing major yet. I had a day trip to Chicago, and I've been going to the Disney theme parks. On Sunday I'm headed back to Chicago for 2 days on Ted :(. Back home on Monday night, pack Tuesday because on Wednesday though I'm headed on the big blue bird to San Juan to get on a sailboat to Virgin Gorda to spend 2 weeks scuba diving. After that, head home for a week before I tentatively head to Paris on for 4 days. Oddly, Air Canada was the best option for me... so if anyones gonna be transiting through YUL on August 1 or 6, I'll be at the Maple Leaf Lounge for 3-4 hours drinking :D

Then home and back to finding a job :(

You?

Well.... I drove out to Calgary for the summer...I went to Canmore last weekend biking/camping!I'll be headed to Joyce Washington at the begining of august, and in the middle/end of august is The Cait Reality Tour '07!...Then back to windsor for school :(

Family reunion BBQ at our place on July 14th. Up to 70 people may show. And are all related. Down to Joyce WA for a few days at the beginning of August to taste all those blackberries. Off to Toronto in the middle of August for a week or 10 days. Our daughters mother-in-law and father-in-law's 50th wedding aniversary. Hope to see Niagra Falls. Maybe down to Seattle at the beginning of September to see/ride in the new smart. Middle of September on an Alaskan cruise for a week. Roy

Leave Monday for a trip through Washington, Oregon, & California in the fortwo with my son. He got his learner's license in January and the plan is for him to do about half the driving.

My summer vacation:

Niagara Falls : 6/7 - 6/11, Met some cool smart folks during the Winery Tour in June and had a great time with my daughter in Ontario.

Los Angeles : 6/11 - 6/15, All work and no play for 5 days in June.

Orlando Florida : 7/8 through 7/15. It's a family vacation I planned with my RCI timeshare at Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee, FL.

US Virgin Islands : 9/8 - 9/15 - I'm taking my mom out of the country for the first time in her life. We'll island hop between St Thomas, St John, St Croix.

Every Saturday this summer: Sit and relax at a nearby Jersey beach about a mile from my home. Catch up on my magazine reading and some sleep. Wish I had my smart. It would be fun to pack it up and head for the beach!

Early October: Hopefully Schmart & Beverly will drive up to see me.

Chicago was fun yesterday and today. Did the Taste of Chicago, had my job interview (went very well BTW), and went shopping at H&M which we do not have in Orlando. pictures are here: http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/chicago_7-1-07/

Wednesday I'm going to Puerto Rico, and then sailing around the Caribbean :D

New addition, July 31st I am going to... ugh... Houston, TX to visit a friend of mine who's getting married out there. The steaks and other beef products better be as good as I hear.

rrrucke, Shame I won't see you in Orlando next week :( I'll be sipping on cerveza at the beach :)

Nothing is up for us this summer, just day trips to Tofino/Long Beach, Sooke Potholes (yesterday it was Port Renfrew), and maybe a couple of trips to Vancouver BC and on to WA (one for Joyce event).We're saving money for next April, when three of us are going to Europe for 3 weeks.

If I can get to a computer while I am travelling, I will post pictures and updates on driving back to Ottawa in Molly. Otherwise, I will post them when I get back!

Greetings:I'm finally going to attend the Concours at Pebble Beach after messing around S.F. and environs for a week. Hope it doesn't rain. Not taking the smart because there are three of us on this trip. Sorry to have missed the Niagara tour (family illness). Maybe next year.Ian Jay

i plan to drive from toronto, on to victoria, bc for fish and chips in about a two week span (a little over 5000 clicks each way if i'm not mistaken). i might try to see some stuff along the way. :doublethumb::doublethumb::doublethumb:

i plan to drive from toronto, on to victoria, bc for fish and chips in about a two week span (a little over 5000 clicks each way if i'm not mistaken).

I'll wave at you as I pass you going the other way on the Trans Canada! :clapper:

I'll wave at you as I pass you going the other way on the Trans Canada! :clapper:

you're doing the july summer vacation road trip (if you are anywhere near the mississauga area, you are welcome to look us up). i'm doing the august indian summer road trip (i think you said you are leaving next week). we are in victoria on thursday august 23rd. if you don't have lunch plans between 12 and 1 come check us out at barb's fish and chips downtown at the docks. my smartie is pretty easy to stop. i'm the dude wearing the red 'ferrai' hat. my wife's the one rolling her eye's wondering what she's gotten herself into. :doublethumb::doublethumb::doublethumb:

After a few graduations this past week, I am putting the Cross Canada Relay / Charity Event, along with others, together starting from the West, July 28 and from the East, August 1. Also, in charge of moving a portable classroom from one end of the city to the other, for a final resting spot at our church, plus all the contracting work for the foundation. Also, in charge of developing a new commercial sign for our church, and the install for that. Mid July the "Art of Being Green Festival" parade and special events, with fellow smarties and amidst all of this, reconstructing the deck at the back of our home, 45ftx12ft. Now, there are a few othe items but the summer is going to go by fast and that is all I wish to think about at this time.Garry

we are in victoria on thursday august 23rd. if you don't have lunch plans between 12 and 1 come check us out at barb's fish and chips downtown at the docks.

I am so there! Make sure you post this on the Marmot section....I am sure you will get lots of company! :comfort:

Plan on going to Seattle Washington in the Mt Rainier area towards the end of July and spend a few days camping and running a ultra trail marathon in the mountains. After fly to Calgary and visit some family for a week camping, hiking etc.. I might even rent a smart for a couple of days during my trip.

for those watching, here are some pics. These are from the boat ride from Fajardo, PR to St. Thomas, USVI and then Tortola, BVI. Immigration was less than fun, and I haven't seen a single smart car. Albeit, I've seen a ton of KEI cars here, JDM and otherwise

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh rob (MKT) that looks so nice it's hard to beleive you are ocnsidering Chicago to live.Me I'm mostly weeding for the summer. We do have a booth at the Goderich Celtic Festival Aug. 7 to 10th so we will be getting ready for this also must remember to bring dusters. Last year some twerp wrote on our back plastic window 'nice car' it's still partially there :banghead: so REMEMER TO DUST your Cab's windows smarties when you are away at tourist areas. they will swish the dust away to peek inside.We are attending an embroidery course in Cleveland July 27th and in the fall we will be heading south to my sister's in Brunswick GA and my other sisiter's in Florida so watch for us US smarties.Karen

Rob,So you moved from Florida to PR? Wow! Are you still in the Hotel business? BTW, I love the Virgin Island-US pixs. I'm seriously considering a condo purchase in St Thomas. I would prefer St Croix but getting to/from St Thomas (which is the main island of USVI) would be an extra cost to consider. Anyway, I'm going to view some properties on both islands in September. Hope PR is going well for you. I have been there and it reminded me of USA (if you combine Florida and the Bronx).Regina

Rob,So you moved from Florida to PR?

Yup. I'm back in Florida at the moment though, tying up some loose ends.. y'know, closing accounts, shutting off utilities, selling my house/car, and getting the dog accustomed to riding in a kennel, cause the little brat is being sedated and riding cargo. I'll be in Orlando till the 7th of August, and then I go to Miami till the 10th. Then back to San Juan.

Hope PR is going well for you. I have been there and it reminded me of USA (if you combine Florida and the Bronx).

I don't see the resemblance.. lol. Where did you go? I have heard "americanized latin america" before, and that one I get.. but not Bronx/Florida. I'm living in Guaynabo, which is part of the San Juan metro area, but just outside of San Juan. It's actually ranked the safest and cleanest city on the island which is a big deal for me, it's got a thriving arts community which makes me happy, and an irish pub, argentine restaurant, arts supply store, and dive shop walking distance from my house.Now I gotta get a car

Rob,Many of my friends (including my many latino ones -- most of which hail from PR) refer to PR as the sixth borough of NY. Generally speaking, you find a large PR population in the Bronx and Florida. They love Miami Beach area for the heat and sexy night life. I meant no disrespect with the reference. I have been to all three places (Miami Area, Bronx & PR) and I understood the reference was mainly on the foods, folks and culture. Anyway, glad to hear you are happy with your new location. Good luck and I hope everything runs smoothly for you.

oh, no disrespect taken... rather, this is an interesting perspective that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise ;)In the Guaynabo area I live in, I personally find a lot of similarities to Southern California.

Among the very tasty cars in and around the Pebble Beach show, I saw two smarts - a phat red and black conversion car on 17 Mile Drive in Monterey and a stream green and black pulse cabrio a few days later on Hwy 5. I'd never been to S-F before and realize that the a/c on even the present smart should be more than adequate for that climate. Inland, where it is very hot and dry (and sometimes well above 8000 feet), the car might not do so well. I think the new smart is really going to sell in California.I wish I'd had the smart instead of the dumb Chrysler we rented.Ian

So, my summer vacation in Molly didn't turn out quite as I had planned. My daughter decided at the last minute that going away to camp was NOT what she wanted so we had to drive in my partner's car to make space for her. I was disappointed not to take my little Molly but having my daughter along for the ride was great. So, we left Victoria just in time to miss the really hot weather. Stayed with family and friends in Chase, Calgary, and Fort Qu'appelle. High points were - Nick driving us through Calgary with me on my cell getting directions from my friend as we went (her directions sucked :lol: ) - spending the night right on the lake at Fort Qu'appelle. We went for a swim, then sat in the hot tub, and then roasted marshmallows.From Saskatchewan on we stayed in motels until we got to Ottawa. Thought we heard someone being murdered in the middle of the night just outside Winnepeg. The owner of the Mohawk Motel in Massey, ON is an awesome guy. Super friendly and helpful. Great place to stay. Ottawa was great - I ate more Italian food in those 10 days than in the whole rest of my life I think. The Museum of Civilization is great and the Renoir exhibit at the National Gallery was excellent. I saw Voice of Fire and my daughter and I both figure we should become modern artists. $333,333 per stripe! High points were all the family things we got to do.Low points - losing my camera the day after we got there.We drove down to Niagara through TO. At one point there were 22 lanes! I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown, :lol: . Had a blast in Niagara - my daughter said that the Maid of the Mist was the most amazing moment of her life. Then we drove back through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana before heading back up to Saskatchewan. High points here - camping in Salem South Dakota, the Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota, the incredibly nice people we met in Mott, North Dakota, driving over the Mississippi and realizing what it was, seeing a herd of buffalo and then some antelope, the badlands.Low points - feeling like everyone was trying to rip us off at Mount Rushmore, getting lost in North Dakota and driving 40 miles the wrong direction over really dusty road construction in 100F+ temperatures with no air conditioning.Once we were back in Canada, after spending the night in Regina, we headed to Drumheller to see the museum, then back over the Rockies, spent a couple of days in Chase right by Shushwap Lake, a couple of days in Surrey, and then back home.High points - Having dinner in the saloon in Minton Sask (pop. 50), Camping in Drumheller, the incredible dinosaur museum, the Hoodoos, seeing Lake Louise for the first time, driving through Roger's Pass.But the very best part of all was catching up with old friends and making a whole bunch of new ones.

post-711-1188532700_thumb.jpg

post-1-1188532700.jpg

post-1-1188532701.jpg

post-1-1188532702.jpg

post-1-1188532703.jpg

post-1-1188532704.jpg

post-1-1188532705.jpg