Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1960NSU

Extra Keys

7 posts in this topic

Hi GUys: I have searched all over and to no avail I can't find any info on spare keys for the Smart. Mine only came with one key, and was hoping to get another one just incase we misplace the origional. I have somewhat gathered you have to get a new one from MB, am I going to have to take out a mortgage to get a new one?I seen some on the Smart-parts in the UK, the fob and key bit seperate but will they work or not?Wendy

The fob will work (although it might need a battery), but MB needs to have it and your car for a while to program it to your car's specific security system..Someone else can probably help you with the cost of this and getting a new key cut. Having a spare is a good idea regardless, so if I were you, I would go ahead and get one.Ron :bike:

So that may not work, as the ignition won't be in the smart car :o It will be in our resto NSU. I wonder how that would look, take the NSU with all the workings of a Smart in MB and ask them to code the key :lol: They wouldn't know where to start. Other question can the imobilizer be disarmed in any way? So a person could just use the metal part of the key and not the locking mechanism fob thing? Because I am not going to be using the power lock mechanism in the resto car. Hmmm what to doWendy

The immobilizer resides deep in the "operating system" of the car. Probably in the ECU? I don't think there is any way to disable it. As you probably know, it self-immobilizes after about 5 minutes of off time (doesn't lock the doors, just won't start.)Do you know of Fast Eddy and Flying Tiger? He won't blink at the heart of a smart transplanted into a NSU. Bit of a drive to Richmond, though.

Module for the disabler is by the gear shift in the console - it sends a signal to the SAM telling it to start the car - so yeah you might be able to fool it - but if you want to retain it you can get extra key fobs - they are expensive and do require a star machine and access to Mercedes to do - so not sure Fast Eddy could do that or not - If you are stuck for a dealer willing to help Three Point Motors here in Victoria has gone above and beyond with some funky stuff for customers at times.Cheers,Cameron

Thanks guys for the info, the transplant should start in May, and I am hoping the key isn't going to get misplaced while the transission takes place. I think I may make a key chain for it out of something large and visible, so they can't lose it. :lol: I will contact Fast Eddy and see of he could work on it. Once the car is done, should be no problem to take it to Richmond, It will still be a Smart but in disguise. And I am sure he would like to see it.Wendy

Sounds like you've got a work-around figured out.I'm not mechanically inclined, so I ordered a spare key from MB (Star Motors in Ottawa). It takes about 10 days for them to get the fob from their supplier. Then I had to bring the car and my existing key into the dealership for reprogramming. Although I had an appointment, it took 6 hours for the programming codes to arrive from some mysterious online source. (Is there an emoticon for "skepticism"?? LOL)After about 4 hours, I was given a loaner car. The financial cost was about $270.00 (parts and labour), and a long boring wait in the Customer Holding Tank.