Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darryl

Transport Canada investigating Smart Fortwo door latch

169 posts in this topic

Hello,

My name is Darryl Malone, I'm an automotive investigator with Transport Canada. We are currently investigating door latch failures on the Smart ForTwo.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safeveh...active-1239.htm

If you have experienced a door latch failure (sticking, seizing, etc) please fill out our online complaint form.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/Index.aspx

Under make and model you will have to select “other”

If you have troubles with the form just send me an email directly.

I’m particularly interested in hearing from people who became aware of the issue by the door opening while the vehicle was in motion.

Thank you,

Darryl

Darryl Malone

Senior Defect Investigator

1-800-333-0510 | Fax (613) 991-5802

darryl.malone@tc.gc.ca

Transport Canada | Road Safety (ASFAD)

80 Noël Street, Gatineau, QC J8Z 0A1

Government of Canada

Wow, maybe this time something will get done about this problem? I don't think anyone had a door fly open while moving, but others had doors that wouldn't close and had to be tied shut to continue their trip. Very ghetto.Mercedes should be recalling every 450 series smart sold in Canada and replacing the mechanisms. It would be less serious if it was the fuel port door, but in this case, it happens to both passenger doors. Doesn't leave much room for interpretation - smarts only have two doors.Can Transport Canada search this website? There are plenty of reports here. I'm pretty sure reports were made to Transport Canada before.Be aware though, some of us have learned that Mercedes doesn't admit mistakes and is very hit and miss when dealing with "complaints".

They will not enforce a recall based on what people say on the internet. You MUST file a complaint via the website. If there is a recall, it has nothing to do with MB wanting to do it or not. A recall means it is mandated by Transport Canada for safety reasons.I wonder if they are looking into all the side airbags deploying when hitting a bump in the road as well??!??!?!?I filed a complaint about my door latches seizing.

Edited by smart142

OK I've added my input on my 3 latch failures.I guesss we'll see if there is any follow up.I'm pretty sure I have pictures somewhere!

Funny. My pax side door failed to close this evening when I dropped off a co-worker. I had a spare bungee in the car and drove home. Ten minutes with a screwdriver in my garage and it now closes, though reluctantly.

I've had all 4 door handles on my two smarts replaced under warranty, so should I submit reports? They never opened or even stuck that badly....

I reported both failures to TC that I had in 2009, a year or more ago. Will these be in the file already?Now if we could find out what Government agency should be contacted on-mass to look into the multitude of A/C failures.

Edited by Huronlad

Hello Everyone,Thank you for the interest.Unfortunately we cannot use internet discussions as evidence. We need direct contact from Canadian residents.If you have submitted a complaint to Transport Canada previously we don’t need you to submit a complaint again, unless something new has happened (repeat failure) then send me an email or call the 1-800 number.We only deal with safety issues, so issues such as A/C failure are a customer satisfaction issue and not something we look at.Safety being the key factor in our investigation, which is why I’m specifically looking for doors that have opened surprisingly while driving. We have had a few calls for this.Thanks again for your help.

OK I will not register my two cars that had slightly sticky door handles replaced, then. Thanks for this message.

OK I will not register my two cars that had slightly sticky door handles replaced, then. Thanks for this message.

Mike, he said if you already reported you don't need to report again, I think you never reported to Transport Canada but you had 4 failures and they need to be reported in order to help other owners who are out of warranty like I am.The more complaints they get the better the chance of having a recall and a recall doesn't necessarly mean replace a faulty part with another that will also fail, it means they have to find a solution and modify the part in order to prevent this from happening again.I'm sure Toyota didn't simply replace their sticky throttle part with the same part, it had to be redesigned and certified in order to meet the new requirement.Please for our sake, fill the form, you had the problem and that is what they are looking for.Regards,Al

We had the issue on both doors - now reported - please note you need the VIN for the car on the site as well as the date when it happened - most folks don't have it memorized. You only get 500 characters to describe the issue - so you have to keep it terse.Our new latches have been fine but the dealer lubed 'em when they installed the replacements and they lube them when they service the car (can be done through the door opening). Doesn't change the matter that they should have been either lubed from the factory or a service campaign undertaken to lube them before they failed. Driving any distance with the door waving in the breeze is not my idea of fun - we are lucky we only live a few blocks from the dealer - hate to have to drive on the highway like that.Cheers,Cameron

I've known a latch to become locked due to user error, and that makes the door impossible to close.... Do we really have that many latch failures? That TC will come looking for more info?If l;ubricating the latch is not on the A or B or C schedule, then I guess it ought to be.

Lubricating only delays the failure, the way the latch is designed it needs to be thoroughly cleaned every so often and to do that it has to be removed from the car for many hours.

Well my 05 has not failed yet but I have had a sticky handle while starting and unable to close my door without f@"& "n"Around with it for a few minutes. Is this symptoms of possible latch failure. It's rather frustrating to say the least

Well my 05 has not failed yet but I have had a sticky handle while starting and unable to close my door without f@"& "n"Around with it for a few minutes. Is this symptoms of possible latch failure. It's rather frustrating to say the least

That's it. Get them lubed up before they fail completely.

Done for the 2005 car. The 2006 had its handles changed prophylactically by TPM when I landed the car in BC, and I didn't experience any stiffness symptoms, so I can't report it to TC.

I have regularly lubed mine, no problems that TC wants to hear about yet, but I have noticed some stickiness in the action. A removal and thorough cleaning may be on my future task list.160K on the car.

How do I properly lube my doors mightymousetech ? I don't want my doors to fail. Yikes

My drivers side won't close! Yay! Able to free it up, I guess a removal and clean is in my near future. Reported.

Edited by Alex