Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Th3Guardian : (19 December 2014 - 08:05 PM) Random question, anyone in the Ottawa area have a spare set of headlight bulb covers for a 451? (rubber things that go over bulbs). I want to install my HID bulbs
@  Mike T : (18 December 2014 - 07:18 AM) Thanks! Same sentiment to all!
@  Wild! : (18 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) Here is to every one, Have a good Christmas and or Holiday Every one!
@  Mike T : (17 December 2014 - 04:15 PM) Never mind
@  Mike T : (17 December 2014 - 04:15 PM) Eh speak up sonny
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 04:01 PM) gonna pull it out and re lube
@  kdubya : (15 December 2014 - 02:47 PM) Figures right? I usually go a week between issues.
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 12:49 PM) My alternator was pooched. I bought a used one from Troy and it's working flawlessly now. week before last I put it in... today. Clutch actuator goes on mt
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 12:48 PM) So get this
@  Th3Guardian : (13 December 2014 - 08:29 PM) That's good to hear, its half off right now at $282.09 Canadian so I'm thinking of just ordering it.
@  Mike T : (13 December 2014 - 08:17 PM) It's the only decent cruise that was available for the 451 in the first years.
@  Th3Guardian : (13 December 2014 - 07:32 PM) does anyone have experience with this cruise control? http://www.smartiepa...e=index&cPath=1
@  FlossyTheSmart : (10 December 2014 - 11:30 AM) If anyone ever happens across a dead attachment (The file doesn't exist when you go to download it), let me know the link to the file. Generally you'll encounter dead attachments in posts older than 2007. The dead links are raising some (false) red flags for me on some things, and it's kind of annoying, so I've been making sure to edit the links away as I find them. The files are typically gone for good.
@  twobytwo : (09 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Pre-Owned Electric Drive Coupe for sale if anyone is interested... details in Dealer Showroom section...
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:25 AM) http://clubsmartcar....showtopic=29229
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:24 AM) V
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:24 AM) just posted a how to on installing a heater pad on 451s, if anyone is thinking of adding this before winter actually hits take a look here.
@  ishkabibble : (07 December 2014 - 11:17 AM) 279489
@  mowser : (07 December 2014 - 10:10 AM) oil filter for the 450

Photo

Interior lights won't turn off

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Treehugger

Treehugger
  • Regular Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

Here is the scoop - at lunch time today my interior lights turned on and have not turned off since. I have:1. Checked the doors - they are closed2. Checked the hatch - window and door - they are closed3. Checked the switch on the dash - it's offThe lights have now been on for about 4 hours. They won't do the "auto" shut off after five minutes, they won't fade, they just stay lit. My dealer, in their brilliance has told me to come in tomorrow afternoon or the next morning (I think my battery might be dead by then...... :banghead: ) or call roadside assistance.Does anyone else have any ideas? :scowl:
The Flea - 2006 pure - Small, Black & Bouncy

Other Vehicle - 2002 Subaru Forester L - Silver with aftermarket dents and dings

#2 Dang

Dang
  • Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

I don't. You checked all the usual suspects.You might want to take your car out for a 20 minute drive before you retire for the night just to charge up the battery.Later! Dang
2005 smart fortwo Passion Blue

Factory Options:
Leather wheel w/shift paddles, Clock, Tach, Sound Package, Drawer, Filter, Heated Leather Seats, Soft Touch.

After Market:
Brabus Grille, Computer, Kenwood DVD/Nav, iPod, more. Click here for pictures.

#3 Mike T

Mike T

We pre-ordered our first smart in July 2002!

• Directors
  • 27,966 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

Whip the bulbs out pending a repair.

2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet, FlyingTiger map 380023_5.png
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A and Winter packages 542252_5.png
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed, other goodies 206221_5.png
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, plan to restore 201066_5.png

#4 Retired RCAF

Retired RCAF
  • Regular Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

Whip the bulbs out pending a repair.

Or pull the fuse. Middle row, second one in, brown in color. That light is gonna be hot. RCAF
My Smart (The Grape) 2006 Ruby Red/Silver Passion Coupe, Rev Counter, Clock, Heated Cloth Seats, Sound Upgrade plays 30 Gig Of Oldies, added Mud Flaps, Pipe extensions (duel exhaust),Window Tinting, Scan Guage, Rad Screen, LED Slices, Ignition Free Windows Mod, more to come.

#5 I M SMRT

I M SMRT
  • Regular Members
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

Dont take this the wrong way...its just a suggestion based on the problems people have had in the past. But the "off" position for the dash switch is actually UP and not down like a household light switch. If you tried that already thats great other than it means you need a plan B until it gets looked at...I'd pull the light fuse rather than trying to get the bulbs out. Less chance of damaging the car and burning yourself.
2006 Grandstyle Fortwo #23/200

O ||||||| O 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

There are two types of pedestrians in this world. The quick and the dead.

#6 Treehugger

Treehugger
  • Regular Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:54 AM

I went out to take the fuse out and realized my card for roadside assistance was in the house - I cursed VERY LOUDLY at this point, went in the house, came out.......and the light was off.I think I scared The Flea into submission......... :dominate: When I came in my wife asked "Did you fix it?"I replied, "Of course - it was no problem," and then went for the Havana Club.

Other Vehicle - 2002 Subaru Forester L - Silver with aftermarket dents and dings

#7 Dennis

Dennis
  • Regular Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

The "door ajar" light only works for the driver's door (on mine anyway). If the passenger door is not fully latched the lights will stay on, with no "door ajar" light showing.
The Twins
2006 Phat Red Pure Coupe, A/C, Rev Counter, X-Gauge
2004 MF GC2300,23hp 3 cyl. diesel,R1s, FEL, BB, RSB

#8 Treehugger

Treehugger
  • Regular Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

I think it must have had some weird electrical thing going on that "fixed" itself. As long as I don't wake up to see a pile of melted plastic and ashes in my garage I'm happy. On the other hand, my garage COULD use some work....hmmmm.

#9 KAG

KAG
  • Regular Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

I had the same problem recently. The light would go off if we locked the doors at least. It has misteriously fixed itself now... :dunno:
Keri

2005 smart fortwo pulse cabriolet
~Stream Green panels~ Black Tridion~Twister bluegrey interior ~

#10 laineha

laineha
  • Regular Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hi My front (not rear) interior light came on this afternoon, during a 90km journey. I checked doors and back etc and still it stayed on. Then this evening, the front left headlight & sidelight are not working. Is this just a coincidence? Does the front interior light come on (it's still on) if there is a problem with a bulb?Any advice will be appreciated as the manul is a bit unforthcoming :banghead: ThanksLaineha
laineha

#11 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Regular Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Mine has done this 2 times, I opened and slamed both doors, them 30 seconds later, it went out.It may be a faulty door switch

I once owned the "GT" Smart....I'm a.. "Hasbin"

2000 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4X4 crane with a dump box,  
2005 Pulse, first brand new car!, Brabus this"N"that, racey stuff too, big fat tires, crazy expensive rims, shiny custom "GT sport" muffler, 2 1/2" silicone and aluminum bellmouth "GT MAX" intake kit, some neat decals, heated leather seats, stacked and ready to race, but then I sold it.

#12 laineha

laineha
  • Regular Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

OK thanks, I'll go and try that, hopefully it will work...I have a 2005 black on black pulse too!Laineha
laineha

#13 laineha

laineha
  • Regular Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

HiWell, I tried SLAMMING everything (quiet neighbourhood, late at night, set several dogs off) and something must have worked. Either that or the fact that my darling husband came out and just switched it off. I maintain that I did already try that; he just smiles indulgently...Thank you :fixed: TTFN Laineha
laineha

#14 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

On a somewhat related topic: I distinctly remember the dimmer switch and cigarette lighter trim ring being illuminated, but I can't remember the last time I saw them lit. Am I delusional?
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#15 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,966 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

Yes ;)Neither are/rwere illuminated.When you put the OEM smart fog light switch in, its symbol is illuminated, however.

#16 I'm_now_smarter

I'm_now_smarter
  • Regular Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

Had that happen to me this morning on my drive in to work... lights stayed on and then, the car wouldn't lock. Tried to lock & unlock it, tried both doors, etc. Even fished out the manual and tried the if-all-else-fails method in there (which didn't work). Still wouldn't lock. Lights still on, but now not the biggest problem. I was running through my mind all the things said on this forum about such situations (which fuse was it for the light; etc-- thanks guys, you helped avoid (a) panic and (B) a call to the CAA) as I tried everything I oculd think of. Something worked (not sure what) because it did eventually lock. It showed me the benefits of automatic locks with a key-lock option. Took about 20 minutes of trying, and if I hadn't been able to solve it, don't know what I would have done because can't leave it unlocked and there was no way to get it locked. Didn't even want to see if the damned lights finally went off :)Any ideas what could have caused such a problem?! I've had the car for only a week now, but it was bought used.Aliza
2005 Pulse Cabriolet, "Jujube", Jack black panels/black tridion/twister bluegrey. Heated seats, A/C, upgraded stereo, pollen/dust filter, paddle shifting& softouch, rev counter & clock, lockable drawer, smart's velour floor mats, block heater.
Bought September 18 2007, brought home Sept 24, 2007, traded January 22, 2010 for a 2010 Audi A3 (Premium, 6-speed manual transmission, Xenon headlights, upgraded stereo, Aruba Blue pearl paint/black leather interior)

#17 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

One side of your tailgate may not have been latched properly. Or one door.

#18 imsmrtru2

imsmrtru2
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

I know this thread is a few months old, but this is my first submission to Club Smart Forum. B) It is approaching the 1st anniversary for "our" 2006 Cabrio and this is the first problem I have had with the car. Put on 14,000 km with only the regular oil service at the dealership. This little Smart has done very well, even TWO road trips to New York City. He loved that. The little Frenchmen in the Big Apple!Like the other contributors I have had TWO cases over the past couple weeks where I can't lock the doors and the Dome light stays on. The car even "beeps" at me as I am driving. If I take my foot off break and gas it would switch to "O". In both cases the poltergeist fault seems to correct itself. I was so frustrated I drove to the dealer with the light on, car beeping and when I pulled into the service bay it was gone!I have tried, like everyone else, slam doors, even open/close roof. Still was there. I am wondering if it could be a moisture problem with one of the door sensors. We have had a TON of snow here in Ottawa this year and with the car in-out of our "heated" garage could it be moisture on some sensor?I would like to have some "evidence" to take to the dealer, because as you know, when I took the car in the last time and tried to explain what was wrong the service manager said that they have never heard of this issue.. Dah!Anway. Thanks for a great club site. I have been secretly reading and learning over the year. Perhaps now I can come out and give some advice or input to future threads.Thanks Club Smart members. :) CheersImSmtRu2

#19 ARTZ

ARTZ

Go Green... stream green!!!

• Regular Members
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

I don't have a cabrio but, I know in coupe if my driver door sensor is activate then the car will beep as soon as a touch the gas pedal (diesel pedal). On the coupe the same type of sensor does not existing for the passenger door or rear hatch.Does the light turn off eventually, like 15 minutes? I think in the coupe it will. So, I would probably get the dealership to look at the driver door sensor first and go from there.PS: Welcome to the club.
ARTZ 2006 with Euro Panels and a X-Gauge

#20 DR MAP

DR MAP
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hi, I had the same problem with my 2006 Grandstyle. I removed the interior light bulb and the bulb in the dash light and then discoverd that the dash light was broken. I took it to the dealer who installed a new dash light switch which solved my problem. I also replaced the interior light bulb with an LED bulb to avoid excessive heat so the headliner wouldn't discolor. Cliff - DR MAP
DR MAP -- 2006 Smart Grandstyle cabrio #61- Dark green metallic panels and silver tridion, pollen filter, AC, leather heated seats, cup holder, Euro turn signal mod with DRLs, amber front running lights, passenger window controller, LED side markers, mud flaps, ScanGuage II, tinted side windows, cruise control, exhaust pipe dual extension, Stebel Nautilus compact airhorn

#21 imsmrtru2

imsmrtru2
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

Thanks ARTZ. Yes the light eventually goes out and it stops "beeping" at me. I think you are right about the driver door sensor. My daughter drove it the other day and never opened the back or passenger door and it gave her the same problem. We must be getting in and out of the car too much and not spending enough time driving.. ;) If it happens again I will take it in and have them check that sensor.Dr Map. I know my lights are OK, but good point on the LED light. Never thought that may happen. Guess I better go add that to my Christmas list at SmartieParts.Thanks for information. Much appreciated.CheersImSmrtRu2

#22 B Tisshaw

B Tisshaw

Vice-President, CsC

• Regular Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

OK, so its not just Orange Crush with the Christine spooked car thing going on.
Today, I drive off and the auto door locks, well...lock. Then unlock. Then lock.
Also, the interior lights stay on. Then flicker off. Then back on.
At stop signs-lights, tranny slips to 0 and I get the beep treatment.

Some Xmas shopping, start stop, in and out, and then all was normal on the return trip.

I had a Volvo with on again off again electrical gremlins, really no fun and
today I had flashbacks to the colossal time and money waste that car turned out to be.
This has to be different. No, really it has to.

Blair
From the factory;
2006 Phat Red & silver Passion, sun roof, electric everything and AC.

From the aftermarket;
Bilstein Street Force suspension, RVS mags, and BF Goodrich rubber, Red Dot Discs and pads,
shifter knob, polished dash rings and caps, pedal covers, axle caps, S Mann air scoop & Jetex filter.

#23 DR MAP

DR MAP
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like you need to have a heart-to-heart discussion with your dealer. Cliff
DR MAP -- 2006 Smart Grandstyle cabrio #61- Dark green metallic panels and silver tridion, pollen filter, AC, leather heated seats, cup holder, Euro turn signal mod with DRLs, amber front running lights, passenger window controller, LED side markers, mud flaps, ScanGuage II, tinted side windows, cruise control, exhaust pipe dual extension, Stebel Nautilus compact airhorn

#24 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,966 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:50 PM

It sounds like a wet SAM to me.Has the windscreen been replaced with a non-smart unit? NEVER get a non-smart windscreen....but maybe that's not it.

#25 BobbyClobber

BobbyClobber
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

The same sort of things have happened with our 2006 last night and this morning. Pretty well all the same symptoms you guys have mentioned which came out of nowhere. We did have a lot of rain yesterday so I'm thinking that amount of moisture "might" have something to do with it. I also noticed the transmission going to '0' when I was stopped but I thought I might have done something. Good to hear that this has been seen by others. The biggest pain is not being able to lock the darn thing. I doubt the dealer would know what to do unless this has been resolved elsewhere. Not too many smart cars around here so a smaller resource for learning. Nothing worse than when a "smart" car goes "stupid".

#26 smart_bob

smart_bob
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

My 2005 has the same symptoms. I'm surprised that none of the european boards mention this problem but maybe I'm searching for the wrong key words. Does anyone know where to start looking?Bob
2005 Pure Coupe

#27 DR MAP

DR MAP
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

I haven't had any of the sorts of problems with locking, unlocking of doors, transmission going to zero, etc. that are described by smart_bob and Bobby Clobber. After I had the dealer replace the dash light switch, and installing a LED in the dome light, nothing but sweet times.

#28 DiscoQuinn

DiscoQuinn
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Having this issue with my 2005 passion. Interior light stays on and the dash tells me a door is open when nothing is open. Multiple checks of the doors, hatch glass, and gate, everything is closed. Even bumping them when they are closed does not turn off the "your door is open" light on my clock and rpm cluster. It's been a very cold winter, and the car stays outside we also carry alot of objects with it, and the back of the seats and batch gate get beat up. I'd hope someone knows the cause and/or remedy to this problem.
~DQ

DiscoQuinnDesign
Custom Car Consulting
772 Stirling Ave South, Unit #203
Kitchener, ON Canada
519-579-1419

#29 BobbyClobber

BobbyClobber
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

Update. Brought the car in to dealer yesterday. Of course, when I got out of it I tried to lock it.....And it did. everything working just fine and just in time to make me feel stupid. Anyway, they were aware that there's been problems like this so there was no issue of not believing me. When we went to pick it up, the work order indicated that a wiring harness had been replaced. I happened to speak with the mechanic and what he told me sounded somewhat different although reasonable. He indicated that some connections in the wiring harness in the battery box area were somewhat corroded (due to moisture) and that's why things were acting up. He took them apart, cleaned them up and put them back together however he noted he had now covered those connections with heat shrink tubing to help keep the moisture out. That should help. I think moisture problems have been noted by lots of other people as the source of other electrical (possibly mechanical) problems too.They also appear to have taken the door handles apart and freed up or lubricated those short cables in there. I've had some problems with those (both sides) in the past couple of months to the point of barely being able to lock the doors (found that when this happened if I held the door closed from the outside I could get the locking mechanism to catch). I've read a separate thread about this issue and am aware that this is considered to be a design problem (yet another one?) with the car.I generally really like this car but these little things sure can be a PITA.

#30 DiscoQuinn

DiscoQuinn
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

Update. Brought the car in to dealer yesterday. Of course, when I got out of it I tried to lock it.....And it did. everything working just fine and just in time to make me feel stupid. Anyway, they were aware that there's been problems like this so there was no issue of not believing me. When we went to pick it up, the work order indicated that a wiring harness had been replaced. I happened to speak with the mechanic and what he told me sounded somewhat different although reasonable. He indicated that some connections in the wiring harness in the battery box area were somewhat corroded (due to moisture) and that's why things were acting up. He took them apart, cleaned them up and put them back together however he noted he had now covered those connections with heat shrink tubing to help keep the moisture out. That should help. I think moisture problems have been noted by lots of other people as the source of other electrical (possibly mechanical) problems too. They also appear to have taken the door handles apart and freed up or lubricated those short cables in there. I've had some problems with those (both sides) in the past couple of months to the point of barely being able to lock the doors (found that when this happened if I held the door closed from the outside I could get the locking mechanism to catch). I've read a separate thread about this issue and am aware that this is considered to be a design problem (yet another one?) with the car. I generally really like this car but these little things sure can be a PITA.

Thanks! Moisture seems to have come up in many of the other user's issues, Was this a warrenty fix from your dealer? I'm poor. :)
~DQ

DiscoQuinnDesign
Custom Car Consulting
772 Stirling Ave South, Unit #203
Kitchener, ON Canada
519-579-1419

#31 BobbyClobber

BobbyClobber
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

Sorry for not replying more quickly. I had to check. The work was done under warranty so there was no charge to us. And we did have a loaner which was also convenient. Our smart is a 2006 about 29 months old and with almost 29K on the odometer.

#32 DR MAP

DR MAP
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Good day, Glad to hear that your problems have largely been solved. I am famiiar with your weather in St. John's having lived there from 1977 until 2005. When we moved to Ontario my first priority in housing was that it had to have a two car garage, and it is an extra wide garage, so plently of room. I don't drive DR MAP in the winter months, so have avoided moisture problems.

#33 ggtronic

ggtronic
  • Regular Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

there is a recall to move that board: http://clubsmartcar....topic=10330&hl= its possible that it control the dome light ? and moisture get in
2005 pure cabrio -- possible 3.3L/100 4.0 average -- scangauge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users