Why is this ad here?

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
451: Are tire pressure sensors required?
brd
post Mar 30 2009 - 07:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 3,730

I'm looking to upgrade the factory rims on my 2009 cabrio.
Is it necessary to install the smart tire pressure sensors on the new rims?
These things cost ~$100 each which is pretty ridiculous. And their only purpose is to meet US preferences (they are not installed in Europe).
If not having them installed means having some stupid warning on the dashboard I can live with that.
But if means that the car will go into some sort of limp mode due to the warning thats another story.
Any insight or experience out there with this?
thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Mar 30 2009 - 07:44 PM
Post #2

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Group: Directors
Member No.: 5

Should be OK and maybe you could remove the bulb.

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post
Talgas
post Mar 31 2009 - 06:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,569

If you really want the sensors but want to pay less they have them at the Costco Tire Shop for ~$65 each. Still too expensive for me on my winter tires.... so I just live with the light. There's no adverse effect or anything (no limp mode), just the light on the dash.

--------------------
2008 Passion Coupe: Blue w/ Silver Tridion, Fog Lights/Pods, Scangauge and Area451 Cruise

+Quote Post
smart65
post Mar 31 2009 - 06:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 145

The OEM ones require registering with the car's computer in order to work (a dealer task). Would Costco's be able to be enabled in a similar manner. Not likely.

--------------------
Gary ...
2005 silver/silver smart passion CDI coupe with bungee grey interior (vanity plate "SMART 65")..
2013 Mazda CX-5 GS (4 cylinder gas engine, 6-spd auto, fwd, red with tan coloured cloth seats).
Some of extras on smart: tach & clock pods, heated seats, sound upgrade, underseat storage tray, electric P/S, softtouch, steelies & Blizzak winter tires, hand controls, MDC cruise control with W/W arm control, MDC armrest, front signal lights converted to Euro-style with original signal lights running as DRLs and front side lighting converted to act only as signal repeaters (now LED), Grundig 6 CD changer, MDC ultimate window package, Scangauge II, 3-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters, Technine stage 2 remap.

+Quote Post
quirky1
post Sep 14 2009 - 06:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,356

Wouldn't the computer simply recognize and take readings from the new sensors, in effect self-registering them? I can't see having to take the car to the dealership every time summer and winter rim sets, each with their own set of sensors, are switched.

+Quote Post
gordo.bernard
post Sep 15 2009 - 01:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,582

If it really is just for an upgrade, why not use them on your new wheels and forget about them on the old wheels. I am also assuming that they may be lower profile tires that you are getting and those are the ones that you might want to monitor a little closer any ways.

+Quote Post
gordo.bernard
post Sep 15 2009 - 02:01 PM
Post #7

If you do change them to your new wheels you may need to keep them on the same corner of the car from something I read before. By the way, tire pressure monitors are mandated, not just some whimsical manufacturer's idea.

+Quote Post
gordo.bernard
post Sep 15 2009 - 02:05 PM
Post #8

If they (the valve stem transmitters) were not registered to the receiver monitor, then whose tire pressures would be read when another car passes you on the highway?

+Quote Post
quirky1
post Sep 15 2009 - 08:49 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,356

According to the service department, the only thing that needs to be done when swapping sensors is a reset of the TPMS which can be done by pressing the TPMS switch. A visit to the dealership is not required.

+Quote Post
mimota
post Sep 16 2009 - 12:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,000

I don't have tire pressure sensors on my winter tires. It just means the light is on. The dealership told me that it wasn't a problem.

+Quote Post
Duesouth
post Sep 16 2009 - 11:34 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,362

according to the dealership, the sensor in my 2009 can not be turn off. and it is required. probably a pressuring tactics for sales.

and here is the price for the winter package of tires here in Toronto.

and wheel lock nuts are extra. I ask if they had, so that I can protect my wheels from being snatched off my car with cinder blocks under it. happen once to my previous car, never again will always use them to protect my winter tires.

This post has been edited by Duesouth: Sep 16 2009 - 11:38 AM

+Quote Post
chris08-42
post Sep 16 2009 - 04:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,356

When I put the summer tires back on my 451 I used new rims and sensors. I did not have to do anything to get the car to read them - they just worked fine.

We can all thank Ford and Firestone for tire pressure monitors! Remember the flipping Ford Explorer's?

When I went on my 12,000 km summer trip, I carried one of the front winter tires as a spare - behind the passenger seat. No issues with that either. The signals generated by the wheel sensors is not strong enough to be read by a passing vehicle.

--------------------
2008 Fortwo Pure, blue and black, AC and heated seats.

+Quote Post
danmac62
post Sep 19 2011 - 11:07 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,482

So have a 2008 Passion, if get new winter rims and tires do I have to get the pressure sensors? Will the car work okay without them

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Sep 19 2011 - 11:32 AM
Post #14

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Group: Directors
Member No.: 5

Yes, just take the bulb out of the instrument cluster if it annoys you. And check your tire pressures regularly!

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Jul 25 2014 - 03:22 AM