Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brd

451: Are tire pressure sensors required?

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade the factory rims on my 2009 cabrio. Is it necessary to install the smart tire pressure sensors on the new rims? These things cost ~$100 each which is pretty ridiculous. And their only purpose is to meet US preferences (they are not installed in Europe).If not having them installed means having some stupid warning on the dashboard I can live with that. But if means that the car will go into some sort of limp mode due to the warning thats another story.Any insight or experience out there with this?thanks

Should be OK and maybe you could remove the bulb.

If you really want the sensors but want to pay less they have them at the Costco Tire Shop for ~$65 each. Still too expensive for me on my winter tires.... so I just live with the light. There's no adverse effect or anything (no limp mode), just the light on the dash.

The OEM ones require registering with the car's computer in order to work (a dealer task). Would Costco's be able to be enabled in a similar manner. Not likely.

Wouldn't the computer simply recognize and take readings from the new sensors, in effect self-registering them? I can't see having to take the car to the dealership every time summer and winter rim sets, each with their own set of sensors, are switched.

If it really is just for an upgrade, why not use them on your new wheels and forget about them on the old wheels. I am also assuming that they may be lower profile tires that you are getting and those are the ones that you might want to monitor a little closer any ways.

If you do change them to your new wheels you may need to keep them on the same corner of the car from something I read before. By the way, tire pressure monitors are mandated, not just some whimsical manufacturer's idea.

If they (the valve stem transmitters) were not registered to the receiver monitor, then whose tire pressures would be read when another car passes you on the highway?

According to the service department, the only thing that needs to be done when swapping sensors is a reset of the TPMS which can be done by pressing the TPMS switch. A visit to the dealership is not required.

I don't have tire pressure sensors on my winter tires. It just means the light is on. The dealership told me that it wasn't a problem.

according to the dealership, the sensor in my 2009 can not be turn off. and it is required. probably a pressuring tactics for sales.and here is the price for the winter package of tires here in Toronto.and wheel lock nuts are extra. I ask if they had, so that I can protect my wheels from being snatched off my car with cinder blocks under it. happen once to my previous car, never again will always use them to protect my winter tires.

Edited by Duesouth

When I put the summer tires back on my 451 I used new rims and sensors. I did not have to do anything to get the car to read them - they just worked fine.We can all thank Ford and Firestone for tire pressure monitors! Remember the flipping Ford Explorer's?When I went on my 12,000 km summer trip, I carried one of the front winter tires as a spare - behind the passenger seat. No issues with that either. The signals generated by the wheel sensors is not strong enough to be read by a passing vehicle.

Yes, just take the bulb out of the instrument cluster if it annoys you. And check your tire pressures regularly!