2 Pages V  < 1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Study Says Small-Car Buyers Sacrifice Safety
Lori V
post Apr 19 2009 - 09:44 AM
Post #41

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 198

I just re-insured my 2 vehicles. The F350, which is the same year as my SMART, and has a $300 deductible versus the $500 deductible on the SMART, was $100 less to insure than the SMART. I'd say ICBC is ripping us off totally.

Curb weights for vehicles tested:

Yaris 1370 kg Camry 2227 kg
Fit 1119 kg Accord 3236 kg
Smart 740 kg Mercedes C class- 3560 kg

By that yardstick, they should have been crashing the fit and yaris into something weighing around 5000 kg or else crashing the smart into something weighing about 1500 kg, like the Yaris - I'd love to see a head to head comparison- crash a few smarts into the Yaris and see which one you buy...

I watched the vids and what impressed me was how little the cab was deformed in the smart, versus the complete crushing of the cab of the Yaris, sending the dummy's face through the steering wheel.

My own accident story?
A guy in a newer Toyota Camry rear ended us when we panick stopped for a pedestrian from about 40 MPH. The guy in the Toyota had been tailgating us and pushed us forward about 5 feet , fortunately, not into the pedestrian.
The Toyota appeared to be a write off and was taken away on a flatbed with what appeared to be a completely crushed front end. We drove the Smart home and later replaced the back bumper, the heat shield and a few other cosmetics for about a $700 repair.

--------------------
its not electric. Its inflatable. At the end of the day I just pull the plug and put it in my pocket.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Apr 19 2009 - 10:13 AM
Post #42

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Group: Directors
Member No.: 5

....and then the engine fell out wink.gif

But your figures for the curb weight of the various "larger" vehicles are all wet.....you should check them again. the Benz for example is under 1800 kg.

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post
JKA6373
post Apr 20 2009 - 11:05 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 6,859

QUOTE (garthD @ Apr 19 2009 - 05:40 AM) *
Yes, for me, that's a prime motivation for this "study". The insurance industry stands to lose a big chunk of change as more and more drivers make the switch to, generally speaking, cheaper to insure small vehicles...that are just trying to protect their revenue stream. The IIHS may be non-profit, but an institution with "Insurance Institute" in its name is unlikely not to have a certain agenda...

garth

Also it need to support those Insurance company in US for more busy to survive. smart car parts are replaceable and cost $. The bigger cars body, dented, just hammer it back into shape and paint. In term of $ to $, smart cars insurance is cheaper and the bigger car cost higher insurance. smart part cost more to replace and bigger car cheaper by hammering and welding. The insurance company don't like smart car!

--------------------
See whatever, Eat whatever, Feel whatever, Enjoy whatever. This the only life you'll remember!

+Quote Post
Speedie
post Apr 20 2009 - 10:07 PM
Post #44

Former Chief cook and bottle washer

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 375

Umm - the bigger cars actually tend to cost more to repair as they sacrifice body panels as crush zones - even a minor accident can do some pretty significant damage to an SUV or Truck - they are not as tough as they are big.

Add into the fact they have gadgets bolted to the inside of those panels and I can assure you it is not a simple case of pounding them out and painting them. Heck even a plastic bumper for some of those units is upwards of $2000 and they damage pretty easily.

In addition most body panels are now high tensile steel and act as structural components - once damaged they have to either be carefully sectioned back to a supporting member or removed completely at the spot welds and replaced if the damage is more significant than a light crease. If you just bang them out you will seriously compromise the strength and safety of the vehicle.

What drives the cost of smart repairs up over here is a lack of used parts, a single source of parts (no one makes jobber parts like they do other cars) and a general issue that the car is relatively new to the market over here so insurance companies are tending to go very conservative and charging higher rates. Add in the fact they are a not a big market (less than 10,000 units - the insurance companies know they only will get a backlash of about 10% - or less than 1000 people - a big whoop-de-do as far as they are concerned for PR.

Cheers,
Cameron

--------------------
"Lucy" 2006 Passion - Ruby Red - sunroof - black tridion
"NuBlu" - 2006 Pulse - Star Blue - black tridion - in need of some TLC
1994 Jeep YJ
1990 Dodge D250

+Quote Post
smart142
post Apr 21 2009 - 02:46 AM
Post #45

Group: Global Moderators*
Member No.: 35

Another article on the subject.

I like this line......"If people want to use trucks as cars," he says, they should be considered "a luxury item."

Can Small Cars Overcome Crash Fears?

By JOSEPH B. WHITE. APRIL 21, 2009 . Wall Street Journal

The U.S. government's push to decrease the nation's output of greenhouse gases by increasing the fuel efficiency of the cars Americans drive is rekindling an emotional debate: Does driving a small, fuel-efficient car make you more likely to die on the road?

Engineers and statistical analysts can point to data that suggest more-efficient cars don't necessarily put motorists at greater overall risk. But most of us care less about the "overall" risk than we do about ourselves. Driving a big Chevrolet Tahoe sport-utility vehicle makes many of us believe we are safer than we would be in a smaller car -- even if statistical measures across a large population of vehicles and all kinds of crashes suggest the margin of safety isn't quite as wide as SUV owners believe.

The Obama administration has put the fuel-efficiency/safety question back on the front burner by calling for new-vehicle fuel economy to rise to an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020 from about 25 mpg today. That target could move higher if the administration decides to adopt California's mandate to cut vehicle greenhouse-gas emissions, which would result in stricter mileage standards.

Those moves, and the lingering effects of last summer's gas-price shock, are driving auto makers to offer cars such as the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit and Daimler AG's Smart fortwo -- which get the kind of mileage today that federal law says should be the average in a decade. Beyond that, auto makers will launch a wide array of new subcompact and compact vehicles, and decrease production of large, body-on-frame SUVs.

All of this is exciting for consumers who want to leave a smaller carbon footprint. But these smaller vehicles will have to jostle with the millions of SUVs that Americans bought during the past 20 years -- and are still buying today, both new and used.

That's leading to new concerns about "green safety," a term for managing the tradeoffs between reducing vehicle size for efficiency and adding safety and crash-protection features that tend to make vehicles heavier and less efficient. The topic will be on the agenda this week at the Society of Automotive Engineers conference in Detroit, which has as its theme "Racing to Green Mobility."

Tom Wenzel, a researcher at the Lawrence Berkeley national laboratory who analyzes vehicle crash data, says better fuel economy and safety can be compatible, provided car makers make smart use of technology and policy makers take steps to reduce the disparity in the size of vehicles on the road.

SUVs may give their occupants more protection in a collision with a lighter vehicle, he says. But in effect, the SUV owners are transferring risk from themselves to others.

"A much bigger issue" than a vehicle's mass "is the incompatibility between truck-based SUVs and cars of any size," Mr. Wenzel says. One reason among many why overall fatality rates in Germany are lower than those in the U.S., he says, is that there isn't the same disparity in the sizes of passenger vehicles on the road. Better engineering to make cars more crash-resistant also plays an important role.

HondaCritics of a shift to smaller cars have a powerful ally in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The IIHS, the insurance industry's auto-safety research arm, has long argued against small cars on safety grounds. Earlier this month, the IIHS upped the ante with a video of crash tests it conducted pitting midsize cars against three new minicars.

The Institute's images of a Smart for two getting crushed and thrown spinning into the air after a head-on collision with a midsize Mercedes C-Class sedan dramatize every driver's worst fear -- that no matter how careful you are, someday a car will veer into your lane. That's the moment when you want your car to save your life, and never mind the mileage.

Smart USA says the Insurance Institute's test dramatized a kind of collision that is "rare and extreme," representing less than 1% of all real-world crashes.

The challenge confronting the industry and its regulators will be how to break free of the "bigger and heavier equals safer" formula that the IIHS video represents, and which the auto industry has long used to argue against higher fuel-efficiency targets that threatened their profitable large vehicles.

The insurance group says one answer is to encourage more midsize vehicles that use advanced technology to boost fuel efficiency to minicar levels. The IIHS cites cars such as the Toyota Camry hybrid; European diesel technology could achieve a similar goal. The overall driver death rate in midsize cars is 23% lower than for minicars, the group says. The downside for consumers: Hybrids and diesels cost more.

Mr. Wenzel says auto makers should move even more aggressively to combine smarter engineering and lightweight, high-strength materials such as carbon fiber to create vehicles that can effectively dissipate collision forces, but that weigh less and thus require less fuel per mile.

The government should also require large pickup trucks to be substantially more efficient, which would also likely make them more expensive, Mr. Wenzel says. People who could prove they need a truck for work could get a tax break to offset the added cost, but not people who want to use a truck as a personal commuter vehicle, he says.

"If people want to use trucks as cars," he says, they should be considered "a luxury item."

Email: joseph.white@wsj.com
Source.

--------------------
Glenn.
2005 Passion coupe Bay grey-silver ''Gina'' (deposit 1Nov02,delivered13Dec04)paddle shifters/oem cruise/remap/old skool clock&tach/heated black leather seats/sound&6CD/locking drawer/pollen filter/cupholder/cd holders.Mods tinting/euro turn signal#1/s mann air scoop,skirts/brabus grill/alum fuel cap/spangenburg pedals&handbrake, leather gaiter/gorilla alarm/alum ignition ring/custom leather armrest/custom carpet/alum drivers footrest/key mod/led side markers /blue led interiorlight/''smart''raised letters/rear brake led's/carbonfibre door pulls/silver front spoiler/wiper arm mod/rear marker led/oil pan heater/scan gauge/Eibach springs/vortex generators/window vents/headrest speakers/euro tail lights/Michalak fogs

+Quote Post
steveyfrac
post Apr 28 2009 - 01:54 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 6,301

My personal crash story with the smart? I got rear-ended by a lexus LS-430 who failed to come to a stop on Hwy 401 when the rest of traffic did. He did about $1000 worth of damage to my smart car, and gave me a slightly sore neck. His air bag deployed (i think), and the smart pushed in the front of that lexus a fair bunch. Kinda crumpled around the rear crush bar.

-Steve

--------------------
2005 450 CDI Blue Passion coupe 73k. Mods so far: Factory Tach installed, Scanguage, 900w Ceramic Interior Heater. Clear LED side lights. Wolverine oil pan heater. H3 heated seat kit from www.heatedseatkit.com. At some point in future: OEM Cruise control.

+Quote Post
Lori V
post May 2 2009 - 11:59 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (Mike T @ Apr 19 2009 - 11:13 AM) *
....and then the engine fell out wink.gif

But your figures for the curb weight of the various "larger" vehicles are all wet.....you should check them again. the Benz for example is under 1800 kg.

sorry about that -I was googling for the "curb weights" and those are what came up for me.

The engine fell out, true, about 4 months later after the accident, but that was something I'd blame entirely on the dealership! The car did exactly what it was supposed to do. The dealership did not.

I told them when it came in for the repairs to the bumper and heat shield, that they needed to replace the motor mounts because they were designed to drop the motor in a siginficant rear end impact! That is probably what absorbed some of the crash. However, the dealership in their wisdom, would not listen to little old me, hence the rude surprise when we put it into reverse one morning and the damn thing went clunk...

Of course, the dealership also did not install the engine correctly after that warranty repair, which eventually led to them exchanging my car for a newer, nicer one, when they couldn't figure out why the electrical was screwey.

Not the little car's fault, I say!

--------------------
its not electric. Its inflatable. At the end of the day I just pull the plug and put it in my pocket.

+Quote Post
smart142
post May 19 2009 - 07:11 AM
Post #48

don't think this gent ever checked out the crash tests on his F150, they aren't pretty.......

Dave Schneider
Congress cannot repeal the laws of physics…
May 18, 2009
I drive a big vehicle. My everyday “car” is a 2001 F-150 SuperCrew pickup truck. I don’t get great gas mileage in it, but for all of the driving I do with my kids I know that is will protect them and gives me as a driver a better view of the road, and the “fine” drivers out on the roads today.

Yesterday one of the SmartFor2 cars by Daimler almost pulled out into my traffic lane. The driver was busy yacking on the phone and thought that it would be OK to pull a running right on red. I was very happy that the fool decided that it would be wise to stop, since I am sure that I would have punted him and his roller skate of a car into the next township.

I kept thinking of how much damage would have happened, and who’s fault the accident would have been if the guy had pulled out on the red light.

Then I say this video from the Microsoft Money Web Site (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/small-cars-get-poor-marks-in-crash-tests.aspx?slide-number=1) that is from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It shows the SmartFor2, The Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris micro cars in head offset on collisions with larger cars from the same makers.

YouTube Full Video of Smart vs. MB C300

Go ahead, go watch the videos. I will wait.

Now that you have seen them, do you want to be in one of those cars? The “larger” cars in each video is really a mid-sized car, (would you call an Accord or a Camary a “large” car?) and the micro cars get thrown like toys. Watch the Yaris driver door pop open. Did you see how far the Smart car “flew” backwards?

I won’t go into much detail on the testing, you can read more at: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041409.html and http://www.iihs.org/news/2009/iihs_news_041409.pdf or watch a little video from IIHS at http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx/releases/pr041409

Smart USA President Dave Schembri claims that test simulated a “rate and extreme scenario”. How rare are head on collisions? How rate are side impact accidents where a driver misjudges distance and pulls out in front of oncoming traffic?

And how many vehicles are on the road today that are larger than the SmartFor2? While the car rated good for impact with other MINI and MICRO cars, the test results from these videos show that when involved with a larger car these micro cars do not afford much protection.

“If you were to take that argument to the nth degree, we should all be driving 18-wheelers.” said Smart USA’s Schembri. No, I don’t think that we should be driving 18 wheelers. But the reality is that 98% of the rest of the vehicle population is larger, in some cases much larger, than Mr. Schembri’s products.

In the “real world” the is no repeal of the laws of physics. And I have a good idea what would have happened if that guy on the phone had pulled out in front of my F-150 in his new SmartFor2.

Posted by Dave Schneider on May 18, 2009 |
Source.
Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram Rated Poorly in Insurance Crash Testing

In a June 4, 2001 press release, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety issued a press release containing it's first crash test results for large pickups more than 3500 lbs. The results showed that the Ford F-150 by far performed the worst of the four trucks tested. The release stated that "the best performer in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test was the Toyota Tundra, which is rated good. By far the worst performer was the Ford F-150, which is rated poor. The Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra is rated marginal, and the Dodge Ram is poor."
The Toyota Tundra received high ratings in part due to a strong cab which remained intact protecting the occupants (test dummies). "There was very little intrusion into the occupant compartment, very little deformation. As a result, the dummy's movement was well controlled, and the injury measures all were low except for some moderately high forces recorded on the dummy's right leg," Institute president Brian O'Neill says.

Ford F-150 is worst: In contrast, the F-150 "exhibited major collapse of the occupant compartment in the offset test," O'Neill points out. "As a result of this collapse, the dummy's movement wasn't well controlled. High injury measures were recorded on the dummy's head and neck. The airbag deployed late in the crash, and this also contributed to the high injury measures."

Source

--------------------
Glenn.
2005 Passion coupe Bay grey-silver ''Gina'' (deposit 1Nov02,delivered13Dec04)paddle shifters/oem cruise/remap/old skool clock&tach/heated black leather seats/sound&6CD/locking drawer/pollen filter/cupholder/cd holders.Mods tinting/euro turn signal#1/s mann air scoop,skirts/brabus grill/alum fuel cap/spangenburg pedals&handbrake, leather gaiter/gorilla alarm/alum ignition ring/custom leather armrest/custom carpet/alum drivers footrest/key mod/led side markers /blue led interiorlight/''smart''raised letters/rear brake led's/carbonfibre door pulls/silver front spoiler/wiper arm mod/rear marker led/oil pan heater/scan gauge/Eibach springs/vortex generators/window vents/headrest speakers/euro tail lights/Michalak fogs

+Quote Post
Francesco
post May 19 2009 - 07:57 AM
Post #49

CsC BoD Member

Member No.: 2,983

I tried to send a comment, but it refuses to let me, telling me the three letters I type are always wrong.

--------------------
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles||coming up Blindy|Bilstein|torque damper|Morimoto||wishlist Monoblock A|more leather||

+Quote Post
Francesco
post May 19 2009 - 08:08 AM
Post #50

CsC BoD Member

Member No.: 2,983

If someone else wants to try (I tried in both FF3 and IE7 with cookies on and Adblock disabled), this is my note:

Dave, I hope you DO realize that the generation of F150 in which you have such confidence is indeed one of the LEAST SAFE vehicles on the road. For your sake, and that of your passengers (your kids, maybe?), you should consider dumping the F150 in favor of a car that the NHTSA, IIHS and even Consumer Reports consider very safe, such as a smart fortwo or Honda Fit.

www.leasetips.com/f150crashtest.htm

Regards,

Francesco

--------------------
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles||coming up Blindy|Bilstein|torque damper|Morimoto||wishlist Monoblock A|more leather||

+Quote Post
JKA6373
post May 19 2009 - 10:45 AM
Post #51

Smell Politic........

--------------------
See whatever, Eat whatever, Feel whatever, Enjoy whatever. This the only life you'll remember!

+Quote Post
smart142
post May 19 2009 - 02:37 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (SameGuy @ May 19 2009 - 11:57 AM) *
I tried to send a comment, but it refuses to let me, telling me the three letters I type are always wrong.

I tried too,no go!

--------------------
Glenn.

+Quote Post
smart142
post May 20 2009 - 01:35 AM
Post #53

Here's another one:

Daily Gut: Deadly Dreams in Tiny Cars
by Greg Gutfeld

So according to MSNBC, President Obama is enjoying amazing support from “an uncommon alliance of auto executives, union leaders and environmental activists” concerning is new proposal to raise mileage standards and curb vehicle emissions.

But if you look at this support, you can see why it`s as pathetic as spoilers on a Yugo.

Of course, the auto executives are behind it, because the government is paying them to be behind it. For the union leaders and environmentalists, it just means a preservation of power and an increase in influence. The only people missing from this equation? The rest of America. They will pay with their wallets, and their lives.

According to the experts, Obama`s proposals will add about $1300 in costs to every car. How that helps an industry during a bottomless recession is beyond me. Worse, the National Academy of Sciences has linked mileage standards to roughly 2000 deaths per year. According to Steve Milloy, the author of Green Hell, every 100 pound reduction in the weight of small cars causes traffic fatalities to rise as much as 715 per year. He claims that Obama`s proposed plan will kill more Americans at a faster rate than the Iraq War. He might be right: last month, for example, crash tests found that drivers of the 2009 versions of so-called Smart cars- basically sardine cans without the odor or the protection - could suffer serious injuries in front-end crashes with larger, mid-size vehicles.

So wait a second. Who in God`s name would be criminal enough to be driving those larger, midsized vehicles?

Well besides evil parents who want to protect their families - try Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Yep, our fearless leaders Obama and Biden have the luxury of bullet-proof, tank-proof and smart-car proof transportation for themselves and their adorable offspring. Basically, if they hit us: they live, we die.

Unless, of course, we stick to buying the cars we want to buy, and not what the government wants. Which can only mean an inevitable punitive tax against evil people like us. Fact is, there is no huge demand for collapsible sippy-cup cars, because people prefer safety over economy. So the only way to get us into deadlier cars is to make it a financial burden to own the safe ones.

Red asphalt is often paved with good intentions.
Source.

--------------------
Glenn.

+Quote Post
Mike T
post May 20 2009 - 01:44 PM
Post #54

Who are these idiots? This dumbass probably has an arms cache in his basement too......

--------------------
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

+Quote Post
JKA6373
post May 24 2009 - 08:41 AM
Post #55

Ahh, buy American made. Ford, GM. Next year the big brothers can have fat bonus again. If you don't, Uncle Sam had to bail 'em out again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
steveyfrac
post May 24 2009 - 10:08 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 6,301

Wow. Your honor, the defense pleads idiocy in the first degree.

On a side note about domestic manufacturers: Check out the new Chevy Spark hitting our shores in 2011 (hopefully). It's a small domestic. The sport model has a 1.2L powerhouse (at 80ish HP) , and the standard mill is a 1.0L 68 hp beastie. Current estimates are putting it at 45 MPG (us) combined cycle. If it's inexpensive... sign me up! It looks sexy. I'll take one in green.

-Steve

--------------------
2005 450 CDI Blue Passion coupe 73k. Mods so far: Factory Tach installed, Scanguage, 900w Ceramic Interior Heater. Clear LED side lights. Wolverine oil pan heater. H3 heated seat kit from www.heatedseatkit.com. At some point in future: OEM Cruise control.

+Quote Post
smart142
post May 28 2009 - 12:13 PM
Post #57

''The smart is built around a tridion safety cell''

26th of May 2009

How Crumple Zones Work

Introduction

Looking at photographs with car accidents that took place in the 1950's and accidents in more recent times you'd think that engineers have gone backwards and have made vehicles less safe. Early automobile design theories saw extremely rigid bodies that were very resistant during an accident and didn't allow too many deformations. As a consequence, all the forces were transferred to the occupants, most of the times this being quite fatal.

It wasn't until 1953 that the first crumple zones were implemented on vehicles. Like many other technologies in the automotive work, the company responsible for it was Mercedes-Benz. One of the engineers, Béla Barényi, had studied this problem for quite some time and in 1953, his ideas came to fruition in the "Ponton" (three-box body) Mercedes (model series W 120).

In 1967, the Mercedes Heckflosse (also known as the Fintail) was the first production car in the world with “crumple zone” safety features including a safety cage with crumple zones and a trunk that had been made almost 50% bigger.

The Theory

Like it or not, physics has the explanation as to why crumple zones are necessary. Isaac Newton's first law states that an object in motion will stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. If a vehicle is traveling at 50 mph, so are the bodies inside and if this vehicle stops abruptly into a solid wall, the bodies will “feel” the need to keep going in the same direction at 50 mph, unless of course something stops them. What's more, even if the bodies themselves stop, the internal organs will continue to move, thus causing severe injuries.

We're still not out of the physics woods yet. There's another law, the second, from the same Newton saying that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. Translated to our situation, that of an accident, it means that the force experienced by the automobile and its occupants decreases if the time required by the vehicle to stop increases.

So What Do Crumple Zones Do Anyway?

They work exactly according to the two laws. Placed at the front and the rear of the car, they absorb the crash energy developed during an impact. This is achieved by deformation, something unheard of in the early days of automobile design. While certain parts of the car are designed to allow deformations, the passenger cabin is strengthened by using high-strength steel and more beams.

Second, crumple zones delay the collision. Instead of having two rigid bodies instantaneously colliding, crumple zones increase the time before the vehicle comes to a halt.

What About Very Small Cars?

That's a very good question as small cars don't have room for crumple zones. Take the smart for instance. Where could you possibly have crumple zones on a car like that? Engineers found a solution for that minute vehicle as well.

The smart is built around a tridion safety cell, a steel housing that combines longitudinal and transverse members that displace impact forces over a large area of the car. Another important component of the smart is the crash box.

“The smart fortwo is designed with steel bumpers at the front and rear that are bolted to the safety cell´s longitudinal beams via slip tubes. They can be replaced after minor collisions at low costs. For parking lot bumps, an impact of less than 2 miles an hour won't affect the crash box at all. Up to about 10 miles per hour, the slip tubes move to keep impact away from the tridion safety cell. Over 10 miles an hour, the tridion safety cell transmits impact over its entire surface to dissipate energy and protect its occupants (assuming a perpendicular impact involving the entire front width). At the rear of the car, the crash box is also built of steel, which crumples much like the front slip tubes do. At an impact exceeding the severity threshold, the fuel supply to the engine is stopped and the central locking system is automatically unlocked”

In 2004, Pininfarina's Nido concept showed an alternative to the classic crumple zones. The Nido Concept is composed of 3 primary elements: the cell, the sled and the absorber. In the event of a head-on collision, the vehicle absorbs part of the energy with the deformable front section of the chassis, constructed of two metal struts with internal plastic foam absorbers. These components are shaped as truncated cones in order to dissipate the energy over the cellular sheet metal firewall, which in turn transfers the energy along the central tunnel and the side members.

The remaining energy, due to the mass of the dummies and the sled, shifts the sled itself forward and compresses the two honeycomb absorbers between the rigid cell and the dashboard of the sled shell, resulting in the gradual and controlled deceleration of the dummies.

The insertion of honeycomb absorber elements between the rigid cell and the sled shell means that, in a collision, the deceleration curve for the sled is lower than the curve for the rigid cell.
Source.

--------------------
Glenn.

+Quote Post
2seatragtop
post May 28 2009 - 12:36 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 894

This crumpling of honeycomb structure was also what Grumman used in the landing legs of the Lunar Exploration Module for the moon landings to absorb the landing shock. Conventional shocks would have cased the craft to rebound fro the lunar surface which would have ruined everyone's day!
If you visit the Cradle of Flight Museum in Long Island you will see an original lander and notice that the ladder doesn't go all the way down the landing leg. The answer is that it hasn't yet landed and assumed the final length.
2seat

--------------------
Options: Blue/Black Pulse cabrio with electric door mirrors, speaker option.
Mods: Front Mudflaps, Rad protection, MP3 cable, Sunglasses holder, Short mirror mount, Remap (Tech9 Stage II), Sprinter badge, Black slices, UK rear light clusters, Euro & Cdn front turn signals, Wiper mounted spray, Painted Brake drums, MDC Cruise Control, Scangauge II, Sirius Satellite Radio, Colour change to Apple Green, Full Eurobum, Rebadged with raised chrome "SMART" and "CDI",

+Quote Post
Mike T
post May 28 2009 - 04:43 PM
Post #59

Now THAT is good trivia!

--------------------
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

+Quote Post
smart142
post Jun 4 2009 - 01:07 AM
Post #60

Another detractor! Or should I say moron???

''I’m sure my Harley could take one of those Smart Cars any day of the week. In fact, in a collision with a bicycle, it’s even money which vehicle would go down first.''

Big vs. small cars; safety and economy

Steve Pomper, Seattle Commuter Examiner

June 3, 4:28 PM

Let’s discuss a dichotomy, which has existed probably since more than one size of car was available from which to select. The dichotomy involves safety vs. economy. While smaller cars in general provide better fuel economy, larger cars typically provide a safer mode of transportation. The dichotomy explodes in our faces when some of our political leaders advocate for “more fuel efficient and safer cars.” While this is laudable in theory, the evidence has shown that an emphasis on smaller over larger has resulted in thousands of needless roadway deaths over the past three decades or so.

Now as good as automobile manufacturing materials and engineering may be, until we discover some sort of Star Trek-breakthrough, in general, smaller amounts to better fuel efficiency, but bigger equals safer cars. We all make choices and decide how much risk we’re willing to accept. I don’t know about you, but if I’m helping my kid decide on his or her first car, I’m not opting for one of those so-called, “Smart Cars,” over, let’s say, an Escalade or H2. Okay, perhaps that’s overkill, but you get my point.

Every time I see some poor driver scrunched into one of those “cars,” which amounts basically to a seat precariously attached to four wheels and an engine wrapped by a flimsy shell, I imagine a Road Warrior-type scene, the highway littered with tiny cars flattened like Coke cans, but larger vehicles blissfully unaware that any collision has occurred.

Now, as you all know, I ride a motorcycle so I know what you’re thinking: Who is he to talk? But, as small as those cars are, they aren’t nearly as nimble as a motorcycle, and besides—I’m sure my Harley could take one of those Smart Cars any day of the week. In fact, in a collision with a bicycle, it’s even money which vehicle would go down first.

But seriously folks, forget smart cars and instead make smart choices. Maybe for you that choice will be to purchase a Smart Car (it’s your right, your body, and your money), or a big, bad, gas-guzzlin’ Expedition (for the same reasons). Most likely your choice will fall somewhere in between. Either way, keep an eye on your congressional representatives, and make sure they understand it’s important that Americans retain their choices—all of their many choices.
Source.

--------------------
Glenn.

+Quote Post
JKA6373
post Jun 4 2009 - 03:40 AM
Post #61

Safe the American auto industry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smart142
post Jun 26 2009 - 04:13 AM
Post #62

Lot's of people are taking liberties with the Ins Inst ''study''

How Smart Is It?

Steering You Right • With Sharon Peters • June 24, 2009

Q: I love the idea of that new little Smart car. My daughter's coming home for the summer and with all the running around she has to do for her summer job as a wedding-planner assistant, I think it would be great to get terrific mileage, not to mention the parking advantage such a tiny little car offers. In the fall, I'd use it to run errands and drive the 12 miles to work every day. Still, I'm worried that it's not safe. What do you think?

A: Well, there's no question that tiny cars don't fare very well in crashes with much larger vehicles. And almost everything is a much larger vehicle when compared to a Smart ForTwo. The crash disadvantage is a reality based in physics. It was also the focal point of a recent report by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the group that does those much-publicized crash tests.

Although the car meets all safety standards, it received poor ratings for impact protection when crashed into by a standard-size car traveling at 40 miles per hour. One of the reasons, the IIHS said, was the lack of extra crushable metal up front to help absorb the impact.

It must also be pointed out that two other almost-as-tiny cars, the Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris, also fared poorly in the IIHS' frontal-impact tests.

All of the manufacturers of the little cars disputed the results, saying crash simulation was conducted in a way that bore little resemblance to real-world driving, calling the 40 mph front-to-front crash "rare and extreme."

It's worth noting, too, the IIHS says, that the death rate in mini cars involved in single-vehicle crashes in 2007 was 35 per 1 million, which is three times higher than the rate in very large cars and twice as high as the rate in midsize cars.

So that's what is said about the safety of mini cars and safety is what you asked about. We all have to make our own decisions about how we prioritize our hierarchy of car features and standards, however.
Source.

--------------------
Glenn.

+Quote Post
cheapohubby
post Jun 26 2009 - 01:17 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 763

QUOTE (smart142 @ Jun 26 2009 - 04:13 AM) *
It's worth noting, too, the IIHS says, that the death rate in mini cars involved in single-vehicle crashes in 2007 was 35 per 1 million, which is three times higher than the rate in very large cars and twice as high as the rate in midsize cars.

Ummmm.... why only quote the "single-vehicle" stats? If their tests were truly indicative of the safety of the car in crashes with other cars, then they would have used that stat as well....
One should also recognize that the statistic came from the NHTSA, and pre-dates the smart car introduction to the US.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Apr 24 2014 - 12:25 PM