@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:23 PM) six
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:23 PM) five
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:22 PM) can I have a little more
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:22 PM) four
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:22 PM) three
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:22 PM) two
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 10:22 PM) one
@  Mike T : (17 October 2014 - 07:08 PM) bump
@  SkydiverChris : (17 October 2014 - 12:26 PM) Nope, two more. Phew...
@  SkydiverChris : (17 October 2014 - 12:25 PM) One more required?
@  SkydiverChris : (17 October 2014 - 12:25 PM) Just making a post or two because seeing the tip of that Youtube video in the chat log makes my OCD go cray, cray!
@  dmoonen : (16 October 2014 - 06:28 AM) Well looks anyways, thing still doesnt have any balls. A hybusa swap would be ideal :P
@  dmoonen : (16 October 2014 - 06:20 AM) Its been done steve ;)
@  Coast Steve : (15 October 2014 - 06:10 PM) lots of work on the website for a dream though
@  Coast Steve : (15 October 2014 - 06:09 PM) Yea really.
@  Francesco : (15 October 2014 - 05:10 PM) Is it April 1st?
@  Coast Steve : (15 October 2014 - 04:50 PM) I say no.. but someone is good at photoshop.

Photo

Spark Plug Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shakey

shakey
  • Regular Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:15 AM

Good Day Everyone,I have a 2008 Passion with 37,000 km on it. I am going in for an A service next week and in my service manual it says that the spark plugs should be replaced at 45,000 km. Has anyone had MB do this for them, and if so what is the cost associated with this replacement?Thanks in advance,Shakey

#2 Talgas

Talgas
  • Regular Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

This is what Mercedes will charge you at Weber Motors in Edmonton, should be somewhat similar where you are. The spark plugs themselves were $14.72 each (a total of $44.16 just for the plugs) and the labour was $70.20. So the grand total was $120.08 with tax. I figure next time I'll probably scout out the plugs somewhere else (they should definitely be cheaper) and do it myself if it isn't too awkward to access the plugs in the engine compartment. If you find plugs somewhere else post the brand/price and your thoughts regarding them. I'm sure there are others with the same questions. Hope that helps and thanks.Craig
2008 Passion Coupe: Blue w/ Silver Tridion, Fog Lights/Pods, Scangauge and Area451 Cruise

#3 shakey

shakey
  • Regular Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

This is what Mercedes will charge you at Weber Motors in Edmonton, should be somewhat similar where you are. The spark plugs themselves were $14.72 each (a total of $44.16 just for the plugs) and the labour was $70.20. So the grand total was $120.08 with tax. I figure next time I'll probably scout out the plugs somewhere else (they should definitely be cheaper) and do it myself if it isn't too awkward to access the plugs in the engine compartment. If you find plugs somewhere else post the brand/price and your thoughts regarding them. I'm sure there are others with the same questions. Hope that helps and thanks. Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig. I'm not much of a DIY guy but I'll see next Friday what they plan on charging me, I'll post the price after. Thanks again. Shakey

#4 Fred J

Fred J
  • Regular Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

I would be more concerned by the frequency of the replacement. Today's plugs last far longer than the Champion Plugs of old did. I have a Suzuki V-6 with 196,000 on the original plugs and a Ford F150 with 100,000+ on them. No indications so far that they need replacing. Conservatively I wouldn't even think about the Smart ones for at least 100,00 - 150,000 kms. If a plug eventually fouls up or misfires, it is not something that will let you down on the road, therefore if its not broken, don't fix it. In due course a Tech's work station probably will have a box full of used, perfectly good plugs.Just my opinion from some one who refuses to waste money needlessly.

Edited by Fred J, 03 September 2009 - 09:19 AM.

#5 shakey

shakey
  • Regular Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

I would be more concerned by the frequency of the replacement. Today's plugs last far longer than the Champion Plugs of old did. I have a Suzuki V-6 with 196,000 on the original plugs and a Ford F150 with 100,000+ on them. No indications so far that they need replacing. Conservatively I wouldn't even think about the Smart ones for at least 100,00 - 150,000 kms. If a plug eventually fouls up or misfires, it is not something that will let you down on the road, therefore if its not broken, don't fix it. In due course a Tech's work station probably will have a box full of used, perfectly good plugs. Just my opinion from some one who refuses to waste money needlessly.

There has been no indication of a bad plug at all. I was just going by what the manual says for replacement. If I refuse to have them replaced (I could use the cash in my pocket right now) would this void my warranty?

#6 Fred J

Fred J
  • Regular Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

"There has been no indication of a bad plug at all. I was just going by what the manual says for replacement." Precisely my point, however you expressed it far more succinctly.

#7 ianjay

ianjay
  • Regular Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Greetings:On the other hand, if M-B recommends replacing the plugs and you elect not to, you might risk having a warranty claim denied somewhere down the road. Maybe replacing the gas engines is just a whole lot cheaper than the diesels, but for such tiny little things (smart engines) they sure cost big bucks.Plugs do last much longer now with cleaner fuels, precise manufacturing methods, and sophisticated electronic fuel injection systems. Plugs can stay in for ridiculously long times, but sometimes those plugs get very attached to the cylinder heads in which they are installed. My guess is that replacing the plugs a few times, even at M-B rates, will prove more cost effective than repairing or (gasp!) replacing a ruined cylinder head.If you don't plan on keeping the car, ignore the doomsayers like me. Preventative maintenance usually benefits the next owner of the vehicle. By the way, selling your car is much easier if all the services have been done and records kept. Then again, some people don't mind throwing the dice when buying a used car... if the price is right.Ian
my ex - '05 Pulse stream green/black tridion cabrio, a/c (?), fanfare, CD changer, Loblaws beach towels (smiley serpents or smiley faces) on seats, "GOTSMART" plates, ordered Sept '04, delivered Feb '05, was under the care of Uncle Glenn and Liz and now CANMAN!

INSPIRED BY my smart, I'm going to lounge around in a white Fiat 500 for a while. It is just crazy enough.
And now, our Volt is here!

#8 MightyMouseTech

MightyMouseTech
  • Regular Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

I would be more concerned by the frequency of the replacement. Today's plugs last far longer than the Champion Plugs of old did. I have a Suzuki V-6 with 196,000 on the original plugs and a Ford F150 with 100,000+ on them. No indications so far that they need replacing. Conservatively I wouldn't even think about the Smart ones for at least 100,00 - 150,000 kms. If a plug eventually fouls up or misfires, it is not something that will let you down on the road, therefore if its not broken, don't fix it. In due course a Tech's work station probably will have a box full of used, perfectly good plugs. Just my opinion from some one who refuses to waste money needlessly.

I would not recommend following this advise. How long the plugs last depends mostly on what KIND of plugs the car uses. Copper plugs will typically only last 48k. Platinum and Iridium plugs can last up to 200k, but some vehicles require more frequent replacement. If you try and take the wrong plug past what it is designed for, you could be asking for trouble. A bad misfire due to a worn plug can quickly destroy a catalytic converter, or a worn plug with too large of a gap will damage ignition coils. A burned out cat can run in the thousands of dollars and would not be covered by warranty. Just saying, be careful if you decide the engineers that designed the car are way to strict about certain maintenace items. Note: I have seen a bad plug melt a catalytic converter down in as little as 20 mins of driving.

If a plug eventually fouls up or misfires, it is not something that will let you down on the road, therefore if its not broken, don't fix it.

Actually, yes it can let you down on the side of the road, and the repair could be in the thousands.

Edited by MightyMouseTech, 03 September 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

#9 shakey

shakey
  • Regular Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I would not recommend following this advise. How long the plugs last depends mostly on what KIND of plugs the car uses. Copper plugs will typically only last 48k. Platinum and Iridium plugs can last up to 200k, but some vehicles require more frequent replacement. If you try and take the wrong plug past what it is designed for, you could be asking for trouble. A bad misfire due to a worn plug can quickly destroy a catalytic converter, or a worn plug with too large of a gap will damage ignition coils. A burned out cat can run in the thousands of dollars and would not be covered by warranty. Just saying, be careful if you decide the engineers that designed the car are way to strict about certain maintenace items. Note: I have seen a bad plug melt a catalytic converter down in as little as 20 mins of driving.

Thanks for the advice, the plugs will be replaced :) I don't want to take any chances on something really bad happening. Shakey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users