Car won't start.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi,hate to post this one here......Last Friday I stopped at a gas station, filled up, locked the car to pay, came back, unlocked, foot on brake-pedal, key in pos. 1, all lights in dash on, "N" is shown in the center, key on pos. 2 after a few seconds - nothing. Car won't start.Tried it many times, couldn.t get it going.Called CAA, they gave me a boost - nothing. Towed to Canadian Tire - they refused to touch a Smart. Towed again to a small shop in Bracebridge, they were willing to check it. Called them, later from work - they said they checked all the connections and fuses - all OK. Then they saw that "key-symbol" in the dash, checked the manual, locked and unlocked the car and it worked right away.OK, that was NOT the problem in the morning, I know about the "key-symbol" and what to do......OK, car worked again, paid 160 dollar for that, all good over the weekend, this morning I parked it at a store here in town, came back 10 minutes later - same thing again. Car won't start, no matter what I do.I am really desperate, bought it 2 weeks ago, the second time big trouble.Any idea? What can I( do? What could it be???Thanks,Ghost

Edited by Ghost, 30 August 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#2 gauchorojo

gauchorojo
  • Regular Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear of your trouble!Does the engine turn at all? Do the instrument lights dim down when trying to start? And, you did make sure the immobilizer (key symbol on dash) was off, right?Give us a little more info, and see if we can help further...
Serge T
06 Grandstyle coupe (166/200) cdi, "Digory", 222K km/138K miles, driven ~4300km~2700 miles/month.
Mounted SGII, crs ctrl, spin-on oil filter, blind spot mirrors, ctr arm rest, spare tire/jack, SCU rear valance, wiper arm sprayer nozzle, fire extinguisher, OE fog lights, Euro headlights w/blinking LED sides, front/rear mud flaps, oil pan w/drain plug, rear 12v outlet, rear axle foglights, 33L fuel tank.

05 Pulse cdi, "Bugger", sold to cousin, still in the family... 100k miles/161k km

#3 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Bad wire connection or a failing solenoid.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#4 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hi again,the engine is not turning at all, the dash-lights do NOT dimm when I turn the key.And no, NO key-symbol......When I move into "1" or "R", I hear a sound like a chain or something....... I hear the same sound when I turn the ignitio off.....That sound is not new, that was there all the time.Now, when I turn the key, I hear another sound, like a high pich tone........ cvan't really describe it......I think it's so weird, the problem appeared on Friday, "fixed itself"....... waas goen for 2 days, no it just appeared again.OK, my starting procedure: Unlock car, foot on brake, turn on pos. 1, wait until N is shown in dash and "Diesel light" turns off (2005 CDI),then key on pos. 2 for ignition.Unfortunately that won't happen......What is a solenoid???Ghost

#5 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Solenoid.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#6 John K.

John K.
  • Regular Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Do your headlights flash 9 times after you lock your doors? If so the battery in the key has to be replaced.
Paddles ROCK!
2008 smart (451) passion coupe, leather, fogs, load and clock instruments, chrome kit = 100% wicked
mods = leather handbrake boot, rear hatch hand grip, luggage fastener X2, smokers kit (coins), smart 3 cup cupholder, smart cd holder, Brabus Roof Spoiler, euro 6 spoke pulse rims, sunglasses case, Brabus ambient lighting kit, *NEW* Brabus Sport Suspension *NEW* ...

#7 gordo.bernard

gordo.bernard
  • Regular Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Some goofy thoughts on my part.If you unlock the car and then don't start it within about ten minutes, it will default to the immobilized state. Mine will not clear the key symbol in position one, I need to move it back to position zero and press the unlock twice and then go to one (wait for the glow plugs and shift into neutral) then turn to position two to start it.It sounds like one of two basic things. The car won't start or it is being told that it should not start. My first thought is that the car still thinks it is not in neutral. Try going through a few gear changes before trying to start it. Maybe even see if it is still in gear when it shows neutral on the dash by rolling the car a foot or so.

Edited by gordo.bernard, 30 August 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#8 atikovi

atikovi
  • Regular Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Based on the experience with my car, I would say the connector on the wire at the solenoid doesn't have good contact with the spade terminal. I keep a 2 foot long blade screwdriver and flashlight in the car at all times now and if it won't turn over, jiggle the connector to clean up the connection. P.S. I assume you are fully versed in the roll starting procedure for this car?

#9 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Yes, I know the starting procedure........ I am singing it in my dreams already!OK, all indications are for a broken starter, got CAA to tow it to my mechanic, he will check the Smart tomorrow.I am not too worried, I bought the warranty and all should be covered.It's just a pain in the butt - you buy a car like that to escape the worries of the old piece of pop (sorry), and within the first 2 weeks I need CAA twice........ well, guess there is no such thing then a reliable car!Whith all the warranties you can buy - the inconvenience is always on you. Another day wasted today, that was my day off,7 days with 12-hour shifts are following....Will update tomorrow with news from "Mike the mechanic" (that's not a joke, his name IS Mike...)Ghost

#10 gordo.bernard

gordo.bernard
  • Regular Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the update.

#11 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Update on the situation:The mechanic who checked it today is not willing to fix the Smart - he is not familiar with it.....Running out of options now - ordered a tow-truck to bring it to Mercedes Benz in Barrie.More to follow....Ghost

#12 smart142

smart142

• Global Moderators*
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

It's good that he knows his limitations.If it's the altenator the engine needs to be lowered to access it.Did you call the place where you bought your smart?
Glenn.
2005 Passion coupe Bay grey-silver ''Gina'' (deposit 1Nov02,delivered13Dec04)Brabus paddle shift wheel/oem cruise/remap/old skool clock&tach/heated black leather seats/sound&6CD/locking drawer/pollen filter/cupholder/cd holders.Mods tinting/euro turn signal#1/s mann air scoop,skirts/brabus grill/alum fuel cap/spangenburg pedals&handbrake, leather gaiter/alum ignition ring/custom leather armrest/alum drivers footrest/key mod/led side markers /blue led interiorlight/rear brake led's/silver front spoiler/wiper arm mod/rear marker led/oil pan heater/Eibach springs/vortex generators/window vents/headrest speakers/euro tail lights/Michalak fogs

#13 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

It's good that he knows his limitations. If it's the altenator the engine needs to be lowered to access it. Did you call the place where you bought your smart?

Yes, I did. I had to make lots of pressure, now they agreed to pay for the towing to Barrie and cover the 100 dollar deductible of my warranty. If I had a chance I would have returned the car already, unfortunately you are not protected by the law as a buyer....... It;s not the altenator, that was changed in March this year at the Mercedes dealership in Kitchener, found the receipt in the manual...... I will know more by tomorrow (hopefully) Ghost

#14 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Update on my problems......Mercedes did the diagnoses on my Smart, took them a while to find the problem (thank god it's a flat-rate for the diagnose).The wiring-harness is defective, some wires are simply broken off right at the elbow underneath the ignition cylinder.Now - nobody can tell me how that can happen........ I never heard about that before!Anyways, they will replace the defective wires, check the rest of the wiring.The diagnose costs $ 116,00 flat at Mercedes Benz in Barrie, they will charge 2 hours labour to fix the problem and a fewparts to repair, totyakl will be around $ 400.00. Not great - but it could be worse........Just weird, has anyone ever had a problem like that with a Smart?Ghost

#15 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have had to replace my engine wiring harness due to corrosion. Several have been replaced. The wiring is poor quality, just bare copper. A coated copper would stand up to the elements much better but might cost a few dollars more per car.To note this type of copper wiring is universally used by all manufacturers.

Edited by Huronlad, 02 September 2010 - 07:36 AM.

88218.png

87739.png

#16 FlyingTigerDevelopment

FlyingTigerDevelopment
  • Regular Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

There are several repair wire harnesses available. Mostly goes to the SAM. But some other locations are also available. We can supply them.
www.flyingtiger.ca
www.star-lounge.ca
http://shop.flyingtiger.ca

Call: 604-270-3733

#17 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Picked him up tonight at the Mercedes dealership in Barrie.Good things first: He started just fine, a nice smooth ride home to Orillia.But:As soon as I started him I realized the "check-engine" light would stay on. That was not the case before he went to repair.and:While I was driving home it was getting dark, turned on the light and heard a funny sound in the dash.....At home I checked that, when the ignition is on and I turn the lights on a sound appears, sounds like a fan,it's right in the dashboard. Stops when I turn the lights off.I picked him up after hours, nobody was at Mercedes anymore when I was there. Have to call tyhem tomorrow.Any idea what could be wrong???Ghost

#18 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

... turned on the light and heard a funny sound in the dash.... Stops when I turn the lights off... Any idea what could be wrong???

Electric light aim motor? A known fail. :senile:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
::
[

#19 Ghost

Ghost
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Electric light aim motor? A known fail. :senile:

What is that again? Expensive to fix??? Smartie seems to turn into a money pit........ Ghost

#20 ianjay

ianjay
  • Regular Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:28 AM

The constantly running headlight aiming motors aren't as common as the leaky a/c systems, the non-latching door handles, the stuck egr valves, the leaking intercoolers, or the broken front springs.Probably as common as the side air bags that deploy sometimes when the car encounters a bad bump in the road.It is a highly sophisticated little money pit, but I love my smart car. They don't all exhibit these symptoms and most of the people on this very helpful board will have experienced at least some of the common problems.
my ex - '05 Pulse stream green/black tridion cabrio, a/c (?), fanfare, CD changer, Loblaws beach towels (smiley serpents or smiley faces) on seats, "GOTSMART" plates, ordered Sept '04, delivered Feb '05, was under the care of Uncle Glenn and Liz and now CANMAN!

INSPIRED BY my smart, I'm going to lounge around in a white Fiat 500 for a while. It is just crazy enough.
And now, our Volt is here!

#21 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

If you switch the car on and turn on the headlights, get out and put your ear to the headlights and see if you can hear the little electric motor running. It's just a guess, but this will tell you.A few in here have had this problem, but I don't recall what the fix was or how much it may have cost...Bil :sun:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
::
[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 09:59 PM) Lol yikes
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 05:50 PM) Francesco, you're going to have some child protection agency after you because of that comment at 6:28 ;)
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:21 PM) My original 450 steels will be available for sale after I clean them up, 35% Conti TS760s on the skinny fronts, no tires on the rears.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:19 PM) I'm taking all our winter wheels out of storage this week to begin prepping them for sandblasting and paint.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:18 PM) Nice!
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 02:38 PM) Winter tires acquired. Boo-ya.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:28 PM) A 10 yr Italian now costs the same as a 10 yr CDN, and no visas or reciprocity fees to many of the countries that require them from CDN passport holders
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:26 PM) Well, it IS google. About six weeks ago I spent a moment or two searching for info about getting an Italian passport, which had previously (until July of this year) been prohibitively expensive.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) I don't see any way to limit languages for adsense. The French ads make sense, since you're in Quebec, but I don't think they'd do italian ones just based on name. Not quite sure what that's about
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) maaayyybeee
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) lol
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 12:38 PM) Max, any way to block banner ads that are not in English? For some reason or other (perhaps my IP) I get many in French and (perhaps my username) Italian. Most are Italian these days. No idea why.
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 10:54 AM) Awesome guys. Thanks. There is a fellow in London selling a lightly used set of winters off a 2006. Wanted to make sure they would fit.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM) The offset is a little different on the rear, they stick out about half an inch more. I think it actually looks better.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) Confirmed. That's what I have on my car.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) See here: http://clubsmartcar....showtopic=27829
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:51 AM) yes they will
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 10:49 AM) Help! Anyone know if Winter rims and tires off a 2006 Smart will fit on my 2014 ED?
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:47 AM) I adjusted the colour a little if you give me your email i'll send it to you
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:39 AM) yeah, it's not too bad