Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kent&Alex

How to turn off the service "wrench"?

5 posts in this topic

My wife took the smart into the local mechanic for the B service, and the guy tried to turn off the "need service wrench" thing using the code reader and couldn't. He said it might be a combination of actions that turns it off (like hitting the breaks four times while starting, whatever). First, how do you turn it off.Now my second issue, when he tried to turn off the wrench, and after I tried a few combination after we left, the car's odometer increased 1000km!! We went in at 69,568 and left at 70,573! Ever hear of that happening?Update: found out how to turn off the service wrench doing a google search...its not particularly easy to accomplish. Still don't know why it reset the mileage an extra thousand km.

Edited by Kent&Alex

Now my second issue, when he tried to turn off the wrench, and after I tried a few combination after we left, the car's odometer increased 1000km!! We went in at 69,568 and left at 70,573! Ever hear of that happening?

Posted Image

Thanks to your numb-nuts indie mechanic, you just lost 1000 km of warranty....The procedure is well described in this forum and the OBDII port is not used for that. Just the button on the instrument pod and the starter key.

Edited by Mike T

Posted Image

Yeah, that's what I suggested to my wife. She doesn't think so, they recorded the mileage when she brought it in, and they only had three hours to play with the car.

Thanks to your numb-nuts indie mechanic, you just lost 1000 km of warranty....

The procedure is well described in this forum and the OBDII port is not used for that. Just the button on the instrument pod and the starter key.

We're way beyond the warranty. You'd think the odometer would be a protected area you can't mess with, funny how we managed it. Edited by Kent&Alex