Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  FlossyTheSmart : (30 October 2014 - 05:39 PM) You should look at the "Service Options" link at the top of the page though, for independent smart mechanics
@  FlossyTheSmart : (30 October 2014 - 05:39 PM) Could be the cold start issue that SkyDiverChris has been fighting with too. Temperature's about right
@  Mike T : (30 October 2014 - 05:38 PM) I am thinking it's the fuel pump connection on the SAM but a dealer should look at that first due to the Service Bulletin on the topic.
@  SINIVU : (30 October 2014 - 05:32 PM) Probably Kitchener dealer!
@  Mike T : (30 October 2014 - 05:19 PM) Which dealer?
@  babycakes : (30 October 2014 - 02:48 PM) My smart tries to start but won't quite start - at Mercedes now and they have no idea what's wrong
@  babycakes : (30 October 2014 - 02:46 PM) does anyone know of a place to take the smart besides Mercedes
@  lebikerboy : (30 October 2014 - 12:31 PM) I miss Bil's stuff too!
@  Coast Steve : (30 October 2014 - 10:21 AM) I miss seeing Bil Gladstone's crazy inventions! "Skunk Werx" I think it was.
@  marchanna : (23 October 2014 - 06:26 PM) You should report that, it makes you an accessory after the fact. Oh crap! Now we're all accessories! Speaking of which, I should buy some accessories for my car.
@  Coast Steve : (23 October 2014 - 04:41 PM) He ment to say Killing time
@  Coast Steve : (23 October 2014 - 04:41 PM) Speaking of typing mistakes, my buddy typed to someone "I'm just around the corner killing Tim".
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:52 AM) Going to Glenn's he says he may have what I need.
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:49 AM) This has to do with side lighting.
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:49 AM) No that part was done 2 years ago.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (23 October 2014 - 08:48 AM) Top secret panel painting project?
@  Wild! : (22 October 2014 - 04:05 PM) Does some one have an 450 old door skin? one that is broken or garbage want to do some tests on one before I attempt my good ones.
@  Mike T : (22 October 2014 - 06:20 AM) John from Victoria, are you and Keith on the site these days? We have a dinner on November 6th coming up in Victoria! It would be cool to see you both there! See the thread in the Vancouver Island sub-forum.
@  marchanna : (22 October 2014 - 05:37 AM) http://www.vevo.com/...es/USRV81400343
@  marchanna : (22 October 2014 - 05:34 AM) Not really. I love that you caught that. I accidentally typed that, and then I was going to correct it, and then I thought, "hmm, I wonder if I leave it there, if anyone would catch that".

Photo

Extra Keys

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1960NSU

1960NSU
  • Regular Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi GUys: I have searched all over and to no avail I can't find any info on spare keys for the Smart. Mine only came with one key, and was hoping to get another one just incase we misplace the origional. I have somewhat gathered you have to get a new one from MB, am I going to have to take out a mortgage to get a new one?I seen some on the Smart-parts in the UK, the fob and key bit seperate but will they work or not?Wendy

#2 Leadwing

Leadwing

Current President

• Directors
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

The fob will work (although it might need a battery), but MB needs to have it and your car for a while to program it to your car's specific security system..Someone else can probably help you with the cost of this and getting a new key cut. Having a spare is a good idea regardless, so if I were you, I would go ahead and get one.Ron :bike:

You are what you drive

'05 smart pulse "Bruised" (bought used with 94,000kms on it, Sept. 23/09)

'06 smart Passion Cab. "Silverwing" (bought 'gently used' with 4,800 kms on it, Nov. 22/10)

'95 Jeep "winter-beater" (bought used in 1996 with 6,000 kms on it) Sold... June 30/12 with 297,900 kms on it.

'96 Honda Civic, "Dimples", that serves as my wife's bus

'89 Civic "Old Faithful" (bought new in the fall of 1988) Finally  (October 16/14) blew a tail light bulb!  First bulb to blow since new.  A/C has never been serviced and still chills the cabin area in less than 3 minutes.

and a gaggle of motorcycles including the 35th GoldWing ever made with over 591,000 miles on it. "yeehawww"
.. List of all 15 upon request

#3 1960NSU

1960NSU
  • Regular Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

So that may not work, as the ignition won't be in the smart car :o It will be in our resto NSU. I wonder how that would look, take the NSU with all the workings of a Smart in MB and ask them to code the key :lol: They wouldn't know where to start. Other question can the imobilizer be disarmed in any way? So a person could just use the metal part of the key and not the locking mechanism fob thing? Because I am not going to be using the power lock mechanism in the resto car. Hmmm what to doWendy

#4 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

The immobilizer resides deep in the "operating system" of the car. Probably in the ECU? I don't think there is any way to disable it. As you probably know, it self-immobilizes after about 5 minutes of off time (doesn't lock the doors, just won't start.)Do you know of Fast Eddy and Flying Tiger? He won't blink at the heart of a smart transplanted into a NSU. Bit of a drive to Richmond, though.

#5 Speedie

Speedie

Former Chief cook and bottle washer

• Administrators
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Module for the disabler is by the gear shift in the console - it sends a signal to the SAM telling it to start the car - so yeah you might be able to fool it - but if you want to retain it you can get extra key fobs - they are expensive and do require a star machine and access to Mercedes to do - so not sure Fast Eddy could do that or not - If you are stuck for a dealer willing to help Three Point Motors here in Victoria has gone above and beyond with some funky stuff for customers at times.Cheers,Cameron
"Lucy" 2006 Passion - Ruby Red - sunroof - black tridion
"NuBlu" - 2006 Pulse - Star Blue - black tridion - in need of some TLC
1994 Jeep YJ
1990 Dodge D250

#6 1960NSU

1960NSU
  • Regular Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Thanks guys for the info, the transplant should start in May, and I am hoping the key isn't going to get misplaced while the transission takes place. I think I may make a key chain for it out of something large and visible, so they can't lose it. :lol: I will contact Fast Eddy and see of he could work on it. Once the car is done, should be no problem to take it to Richmond, It will still be a Smart but in disguise. And I am sure he would like to see it.Wendy

#7 smart_fan

smart_fan
  • Regular Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

Sounds like you've got a work-around figured out.I'm not mechanically inclined, so I ordered a spare key from MB (Star Motors in Ottawa). It takes about 10 days for them to get the fob from their supplier. Then I had to bring the car and my existing key into the dealership for reprogramming. Although I had an appointment, it took 6 hours for the programming codes to arrive from some mysterious online source. (Is there an emoticon for "skepticism"?? LOL)After about 4 hours, I was given a loaner car. The financial cost was about $270.00 (parts and labour), and a long boring wait in the Customer Holding Tank.
"Maxwell" . 2009 Passion. Black with Bungee Red Interior.
1995 Geo Metro. Red with Black Interior. Held together with Bungee Cords:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users