smart electric - cost to recharge battery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sujim

sujim
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I was just wondering what kind of cost would be associated with recharging these little beauties. My hydro at this point is around $300 a month and I live about an hour and a half from the larger cities. Hydro keeps saying that we have to conserve and every time we get our hydro bill down a bit they raise the cost of hydro for one BS excuse or another.

#2 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

If you are asking about the ED about $2 for a full charge for about 135 km of range. A/C uses up about 5% of the available charge, heat much more.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#3 smartzuuk

smartzuuk

Secretary, CsC Board of Directors

• Directors
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

I've tried to find out the kWh required to bring a battery from 80% drain to full recharge - no luck thus far. I think $2.00 is a bit light - that would mean (in BC at 9 cents kWh) about 22 kWh, or an old 100 watt bulb running for 220 hours...What we really need is the kWh, then you can figure out the cost. May depend on time of day in some regions.Like all driving, you can make this number smaller by driving conservatively. All the same principles apply - your ability to anticipate traffic flow, your speed, losing weight in the city, tire pressure..... it will all make a difference.
I once was found, but now I'm lost.

#4 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

The production version for 2013 has a capacity of 17.6 kW.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#5 smartzuuk

smartzuuk

Secretary, CsC Board of Directors

• Directors
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

17.6 kWh? Wow.... Well, then I guess the car will cost well under $2.00 to recharge in BC. Especially if you can get this within your cheaper rate of under 7 cents/kWh (limited to 1450 kWh per two month period per account - if you use more than this, it becomes closer to 9 cents). Rates outside of BC can be much higher, so perhaps that is where the $3.50 came from that the guys on the smart electric drive tour are quoting. Have a look at the US EPA rating sheet here: http://en.wikipedia...._electric_drive I like how kWh/100 km (or kWh per 100 miles) is used in the ratings. I would think this is the standard, but I've never been up on electric vehicle geekery... The EPA lists the smart EV as 87 mpg (US) equivalent. And the car is way heavier. Here's a bit of a primer I found on decoding the ratings for electrics: http://www.edmunds.c...ic-car-mpg.html
I once was found, but now I'm lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  FlossyTheSmart : (17 September 2014 - 10:56 AM) I don't think I've seen a detailed CDI engine rebuild discussion anywhere. I believe details are in WIS. You may want to send a message to smart_guy, he has done a few engine rebuilds and may be able to point you in the right direction.
@  jletual : (17 September 2014 - 10:23 AM) can anyone point me in the right direction to any forums that have discussed an engine rebuild in great detail for cdi?  We have acquired a second car, this one with a blown engine from a broken timing chain. Want to take it apart and see if its rebuildable.  Any help/diagrams etc would be great!
@  spider : (17 September 2014 - 06:00 AM) 2009 451 exhaust needed
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 09:59 PM) Lol yikes
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 05:50 PM) Francesco, you're going to have some child protection agency after you because of that comment at 6:28 ;)
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:21 PM) My original 450 steels will be available for sale after I clean them up, 35% Conti TS760s on the skinny fronts, no tires on the rears.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:19 PM) I'm taking all our winter wheels out of storage this week to begin prepping them for sandblasting and paint.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:18 PM) Nice!
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 02:38 PM) Winter tires acquired. Boo-ya.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:28 PM) A 10 yr Italian now costs the same as a 10 yr CDN, and no visas or reciprocity fees to many of the countries that require them from CDN passport holders
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:26 PM) Well, it IS google. About six weeks ago I spent a moment or two searching for info about getting an Italian passport, which had previously (until July of this year) been prohibitively expensive.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) I don't see any way to limit languages for adsense. The French ads make sense, since you're in Quebec, but I don't think they'd do italian ones just based on name. Not quite sure what that's about
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) maaayyybeee
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) lol
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 12:38 PM) Max, any way to block banner ads that are not in English? For some reason or other (perhaps my IP) I get many in French and (perhaps my username) Italian. Most are Italian these days. No idea why.
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 10:54 AM) Awesome guys. Thanks. There is a fellow in London selling a lightly used set of winters off a 2006. Wanted to make sure they would fit.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM) The offset is a little different on the rear, they stick out about half an inch more. I think it actually looks better.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) Confirmed. That's what I have on my car.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) See here: http://clubsmartcar....showtopic=27829
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:51 AM) yes they will