smart electric - cost to recharge battery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sujim

sujim
  • Regular Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I was just wondering what kind of cost would be associated with recharging these little beauties. My hydro at this point is around $300 a month and I live about an hour and a half from the larger cities. Hydro keeps saying that we have to conserve and every time we get our hydro bill down a bit they raise the cost of hydro for one BS excuse or another.

#2 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

If you are asking about the ED about $2 for a full charge for about 135 km of range. A/C uses up about 5% of the available charge, heat much more.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#3 smartzuuk

smartzuuk

Secretary, CsC Board of Directors

• Directors
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

I've tried to find out the kWh required to bring a battery from 80% drain to full recharge - no luck thus far. I think $2.00 is a bit light - that would mean (in BC at 9 cents kWh) about 22 kWh, or an old 100 watt bulb running for 220 hours...What we really need is the kWh, then you can figure out the cost. May depend on time of day in some regions.Like all driving, you can make this number smaller by driving conservatively. All the same principles apply - your ability to anticipate traffic flow, your speed, losing weight in the city, tire pressure..... it will all make a difference.
I once was found, but now I'm lost.

#4 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

The production version for 2013 has a capacity of 17.6 kW.

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#5 smartzuuk

smartzuuk

Secretary, CsC Board of Directors

• Directors
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

17.6 kWh? Wow.... Well, then I guess the car will cost well under $2.00 to recharge in BC. Especially if you can get this within your cheaper rate of under 7 cents/kWh (limited to 1450 kWh per two month period per account - if you use more than this, it becomes closer to 9 cents). Rates outside of BC can be much higher, so perhaps that is where the $3.50 came from that the guys on the smart electric drive tour are quoting. Have a look at the US EPA rating sheet here: http://en.wikipedia...._electric_drive I like how kWh/100 km (or kWh per 100 miles) is used in the ratings. I would think this is the standard, but I've never been up on electric vehicle geekery... The EPA lists the smart EV as 87 mpg (US) equivalent. And the car is way heavier. Here's a bit of a primer I found on decoding the ratings for electrics: http://www.edmunds.c...ic-car-mpg.html
I once was found, but now I'm lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  autocrash : (01 September 2014 - 05:42 PM) high beams, all the time, no compromise!
@  turbomar : (01 September 2014 - 05:15 PM) Somewhat enable twilight running lights!
@  cadillacman : (01 September 2014 - 12:38 PM) enable nightime running lights
@  amr530711 : (01 September 2014 - 09:54 AM) disable daytime running lights
@  spider : (01 September 2014 - 09:00 AM) where is the gas filter on the 451 model
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 09:05 PM) Anyone in the ottawa area send me a friend request also
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 08:59 PM) Any one have the fondest clue as to why the seat reclining lever is on the inside of the seat? Any one else find this annoying?  :lookaround:
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 06:27 AM) I have used a rear set of rims on my front and noticed a little bit of a difference in fuel economy, how ever it's a smart car so it's nothing to B!tch about.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (30 August 2014 - 06:51 PM) 451 is a different beast though. People have been putting the same size wheel (standard rear size, or larger) all around on the 451 for quite a while now, with no issues.
@  turbomar : (30 August 2014 - 06:48 PM) I did try to put rear wheels on the front of my 450 with poor results. The wheels stick out over an inch. The tires rub when the suspension bottoms as well as when you turn the wheels. I slightly damaged the fenders doing it
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 05:22 PM) Also just finished installing a set of 2 10" fusion subs with a 1200watt Sony Xplode amplifier. Couldn't wait for my 8" kicker rt sub to come in
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 05:19 PM) Does any one know if running rear rims on the front of my smart car will actually do damage? there is a ton of speculation but no proven damage, I understand that you you probably ware out your tie rods and bearings quicker but is any damage actually
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:08 PM) i did my wheel centre caps yesterday but nothing today. A couple of things to noodle with in the near future. I have ten days off starting the 10th, so probably then.
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) me too. diY
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) After work, maybe. Oh, dYi. Carry on! ;)
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 11:40 AM) DIY projects. If I knew how to type...
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 11:39 AM) any DUI projects going on this weekend
@  PeacefulWarrior : (30 August 2014 - 11:18 AM) Help! My door latch has failed with the door closed! Can anyone tell me how to open the door? 06 diesel Pure The outside handle is loose and limp. The inside handle is resistant but springy.
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 09:23 AM) I still have backdraft oil spots all over my cars rear end. Only thing I can think is the mocal spin on adapter's square section o-ring is perished. I hope it's not one of the new axle oil seals. Any guesses?
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 August 2014 - 10:59 AM) Excellent, although I see the category listing must show the original author, rather than the person who last edited it.