Transport Canada investigating Smart Fortwo door latch

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#51 swl

swl
  • Regular Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Received a phone call from researcher from Transport Canada. 10 minute questionaire. He said he had a bunch of people submit it ;)The wheels may be rolling.

#52 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sigh, again :(Attached File  Failure.jpg   85.02KB   49 downloadsThe passenger's side failed a while back while we were in Pittsburgh on a trip - drove home with my other half's shoelaces holding the door shut. Now the driver's latch has bit the dust - no amount of jiggling or slamming will get it to stay. I guess I'll have to pull it apart, too.-Iain
2006 smart fortwo cdi Nosedive.... Back up and running!
2010 Toyota Gen3 Prius Normandy (N7) - Hybrid Synergy Drive active!

#53 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Somewhat hilariously, now the passenger's side latch has failed again. I went out to try and fix the driver's side one, and when I opened the passenger's side door, it refused to shut.

So now my car is sitting here with both doors refusing to shut. Do not have time for this...

-Iain
2006 smart fortwo cdi Nosedive.... Back up and running!
2010 Toyota Gen3 Prius Normandy (N7) - Hybrid Synergy Drive active!

#54 SoulSurgeon

SoulSurgeon
  • Regular Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

On very cold days, the driver side door latch has frozen up and once open will not re-engage the lock. We have to jimmy a rope and tie it shut. Seems to happen overnight..once the car warmed up, it went away.We now park the Smart in our garage with Block Heater....so, we haven't had this problem in over a year.

#55 scwmcan

scwmcan
  • Regular Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I guess you may not have noticed, but the latest news from about 1.5 weeks ago is that transport Canada has issued a recall for the 2005 and 2006 smarts for the door latches to be replaced, we are just waiting on parts and recall letters, and then they are all supposed to be replaced at no charge.
Scott Martini
2005 Fortwo Passion Cabriolet

#56 cheapohubby

cheapohubby
  • Regular Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hmmm; not sure if they're fixing the right thing here. It says they're replacing the latch; but in my experience, the problem wasn't the latch, but the cable and the door handle. Mine was stuck this afternoon. Pulled it apart, and the latch mechanism is operating smoothly. But under pressure, either the cable or the door handle are binding.Has anybody got an idea what the modification to the latch was?

#57 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm with you on this, cheapo'. I had door handles replaced twice and both times it was sticking cables from that goofy hairpin twist design, not the latching mechanism at all.But others with radical failures HAVE been the latchbox itself.Bil :sun:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
::
[

#58 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Not sure about the cables being as likely as all that. The sticking member is what applies pull to the cable, and as such it needs to be strong enough to reliably return the cable under poor conditions for a reasonably acceptable lifespan. This it fails to do! Agreed, the cable design is poor, but it is all part of the door secure latching mechanism as designed and built by Mercedes, and subject to a recall. If the cable is truly the only flaw, Transport Canada would be happy to accept that and modify the recall to allow Mercedes to replace only the at-fault cable assembly on the cars, and owners would get a car that reliably latches the door. Ones who have paid to have new latches installed may be peeved and should be able to get a refund, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#59 cheapohubby

cheapohubby
  • Regular Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Not sure about the cables being as likely as all that. The sticking member is what applies pull to the cable, and as such it needs to be strong enough to reliably return the cable under poor conditions for a reasonably acceptable lifespan. This it fails to do!

In my experience, as the door handle starts exhibiting this unreliability, it's also getting harder to open. Increasing the latch spring strength to the point that the cable retracts under the worst situation; you'll probably not be able to open the door. Anyway; we'll see what happens with the recall. We've been fortunate, and the only time I had to resort to replacing a handle; it was still under warranty. Hopefully they'll be quick about getting the parts and notices sent out; Squish needs to go in for a couple of other things too.

#60 AHZELA

AHZELA
  • Regular Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Whats the deal with the notification process? Will Mercedes handle sending out information to those who purchased the car, or will the government be involved sending to registered owners? How will second and third owners be notified I guess is my question.Looking forward to this fix.

05 CDI pulse Blue/Silver 205000k

Eibach Lowering springs

Turn signals relocated into Lens

"Newish" Turbo installed by me.. Sept 2014

Re-Wired SAM to bypass part of N11

#61 Mike T

Mike T

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

• Directors
  • 27,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

If Mercedes does not know that you own the car, you must tell them. Otherwise you will not be notified. Alternatively, you could call a dealer in the spring and ask for the recall to be done.
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

#62 robm

robm
  • Regular Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

to be safe I am going to let them know that I own mine. maybe when I drop by the dealer to buy oil filters...
2005 black/black pure

#63 ray4406

ray4406
  • Regular Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

I emailed weber motors here in edmonton yesterday at 8:30 am and they called me back at 9:15 am and set up the appointment to change the door handles next week I will let everyone know how it goes after I get it done. I will get my radio code at the same time. being a newbie is there anything else I should ask them about while I am there? B)
2006 pulse cdi named pepe le pew 1996 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel 132560 km

#64 lakeside

lakeside
  • Regular Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm not a happy camper. I scheduled a visit to my local dealer, not Star, to have the door locks changed on my '05 Passion. I had one lock changed (driver's side) three years ago ($600 thank you very much) and I took apart the other one (passenger's side) late last year 'cause it wasn't latching.I get a call from the dealer late in the afternoon, after they'd had the car since 8:00 in the morning to ask me what I needed done. :angry: After I somewhat patiently told them my appointment was to have the recall done they said they'd call back. Twenty minutes later I'm told my VIN wasn't part of the recall and I could pick my car up.I did a bit of research and it appears there are 10,242 2005-2006 Smarts on the recall. An unofficial number of Smarts sold during those two years is 10, 239. What are the chances that mine is one of the three, yes THREE, not part of the recall???I haven't gone back to the dealer yet as I still need to calm down and get in touch with my inner self :lol: Has anyone else been given a run around on the door lock recall?

#65 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Odds your car is not part of the recall? Nil.
Odds that your smart centre is screwing you over? The opposite of nil.

Pick your car up and never go back there again. Be sure your VIN and current contact details are in the M-B system so that you will get the mailer when the recall rolls out. Send your contact details to cac.canada@mercedes-benz.ca

We're still waiting to hear from whoever will be the lucky first person to have this recall done.

Deep breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth: "In go the butterflies, out go the bees. In go the butterflies, out go the bees." :)

Bil :sun:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
[

#66 Huronlad

Huronlad
  • Regular Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

How many other manufacturers fix recall items before parts are available and recall letters sent out???????

"Kalliste" 2005 Bay Grey Pure, tach/clock pods, panoramic roof, a/c, soft touch, ignition free windows, vertical wipers, Euro turn signals, LED fog lights, LED turn signal side marker lights, Scanguage II, LED interior light, LED license plate lights, LED reverse lights, LED high brake light, UWC wheel covers, tinted windows, Wet Okole seat covers with carbon fibre heaters, under seat drawer, EBC brakes and rotors, Eibach and Boge suspension, Stebel air horn.
88218.png

"Labeeba" 2011 metallic silver Pure, tach/clock pods, A/C, arm rest, Design 1 alloy wheels, fog lights, all panels colour matched, heated seats, storage bin, oem storage cover, Area451 cruise control, Ultra Gauge, Team Dynamic Smartie 16" x 7.5" wheels, Yokohama S-Drive 215/40R16 tires, resonator box deleted.
87739.png

#67 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

It's upsetting not so much because the recall is not yet active and the dealership - obviously - didn't have the parts for the job yet, but that instead of telling lakeside those facts, they simply told (lied to) him that his car does not qualify for the recall. Now - benefit of the doubt - maybe the dealer didn't know anything about the recall, or the status of the rollout, but that is no excuse to talk out his a55 like he did which, by the way, is epidemic at some dealerships.Or maybe it was a low-down sneaky strategy to turn a car away from a future no-profit job that they didn't want to do anyway...Is it any wonder that car sales persons (and service writers?) always poll as some of the most untrustworthy people in the country?B :sun:
[

#68 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

It's certainly not "no profit" to a dealership. Warranty and recall work is billed by the dealership to MB Canada, and MBC in turn pays the dealership. Work is work. Better, because there is no time wasted on diagnostics, recall work is a no-brainer, likely paid at flat rate.
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#69 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,706 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

That is inexcusable, they lied to you. The three cars we don't have in the VIN inventory are likely the Transport Canada crash tested cars.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

#70 TheBestJohn

TheBestJohn
  • Regular Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

They told me that same crap about my Vin not being in the recall.... Said they'd check and get back to me... Still waiting

#71 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Have patience and do not act rashly then, John. As the recall is not yet rolled out, there is no point in hasty argumentation. In their investigation of the question the dealership must eventually discover that their first answer was foolish and they will have to cast about for some way to save face.And just so you know, there are media lurking in the background hoping for hard evidence and witnesses, who will happily jump all over a sexy story of demonstrable car dealer malfeasance in this important national safety recall. But let it play out, cousin.Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone, 31 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

[

#72 stickman007

stickman007
  • Regular Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

...media lurking in the background...

Hahaha...
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege"

2004 Jetta TDI: Malone Stage 1.5 (EGR + Left-foot braking fix), EGR Cooler Deleted, OZ Aristos, Eibach Sportline Springs, JSP Skidplate
2005 Fortwo Cabrio Pulse: In pieces
2005 Fortwo Coupe Passion: K&N Air Filter, CCV Oil Catch Can, EGR Emulator, EGR housing/coolant hoses deleted, Restricter Plug, Hella500, Vertical Wiper Mod, 7" DVD Flip-up Deck, Smart142 Remap, TuningBox stacked, Bil's Ultimate Hitch, H&R Cup Kit Springs/Struts. Viper 130xv Remote Starter.
2011 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon:

#73 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

;)
[

#74 ray4406

ray4406
  • Regular Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

well i just picked pepe up no door latches done yet for two days they say the warehouse forgot them. This was first experience at a smart/ mercedes dealer and I left WEBER MOTORS frustated and disappointed :( . I thought that by being a high end dealer they would be organized and professional.

#75 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Forgotten... likely don't even have any of the new ones yet. I've gotten the impression that Edmonton area smarts are not well-served by any Edmonton dealership. Could be wrong, but that's the impression I have :dunno:

Bil :sun:
[

#76 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,706 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have heard that Weber is the better of the two, but I have no direct knowledge of each.Unless your door latches are presently in a failed state, I would let the dealers catch up and wait until the spring or summer to get them done.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

#77 aderoy

aderoy
  • Regular Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

Mine had been changed on the 30th of Jan. Dealer stated that the new latches had been released and scheduled me for installation and B service in the next day.Could that mean the rollout has started?

#78 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

@aderoy: so you got the new design latches? That's great! :thumbup: What does it say on your paperwork?Bil :sun:
[

#79 Utopiacdi

Utopiacdi
  • Regular Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

MB Barrie has ordered mine and I'm waiting for them to come in. They didn't know about the recall so I had to educate them :) Nice people, though. But, now they're talking about the recall being only effective for a "specific VIN range". So, I'll see where that goes. There may be more schooling on the horizon :lol:

Edited by Utopiacdi, 01 February 2013 - 02:00 PM.

Jiminy is a 2005 Pulse CDI, stream green panels with a black trident, tach & clock pods, Smart142 remap, MB cruise control, modified OEM oil pan by adding a drain plug, CCV bypass, Tolsen's Restrictor Plug, UltraGauge

#80 aderoy

aderoy
  • Regular Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

@aderoy: so you got the new design latches? That's great! :thumbup: What does it say on your paperwork? Bil :sun:

Here is what is on the invoice: Campaign 2012100005 replace L and R door lock assemblies 1 450-720-01-00 Lock Door LH 1 450-720-02-00 Door Lock FC: 072910477 P Does this help?

#81 scwmcan

scwmcan
  • Regular Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Reading the recall it is all 10,242 cars that are affected by the recall, don't see how a they can claim that a smart sold in Canada doesn't qualify for it. Mine are working okay for the moment, I let Mercedes know that I am the owner of the car through the email link provided in the News section thread and will wait for the letter before booking my car in for this ( it's first trip to a dealership for repairs since I got it).
Scott Martini
2005 Fortwo Passion Cabriolet

#82 ray4406

ray4406
  • Regular Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

those are the updated latch part number I checked to make sure when mine go in on tuesday that i have the right ones installed. I called another dealer and asked parts manager for the numbers of the updated ones and after some reluctance he gave them to me over the phone and they match the ones on the previous post :rolleyes:

#83 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Excellent! the recall parts rollout has begun. Anyone got a letter yet?Bil :sun:
[

#84 Leipa

Leipa
  • Regular Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

No, but I received an email reply from cac blah blah@mercedes blah blah, that said the letters will be going out"next week"
2005 Pulse.Stream Green.
Delivery April 2005.
Brabus Grille; K&N filter;Eddy tuned;Brabus Susp.drain plug in oil pan

2001 Harley Electra Glide. <FOR SALE! 1996 AstroVan.2002 Honda Civic
300,000k on Dec.10.2012.

#85 robm

robm
  • Regular Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I updated my mailing address with them last week when buying some parts.....
2005 black/black pure

#86 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Letters going out next week certainly exceeds my expectations. I was sure we'd be well into Q2 (April/May/June) before we saw anything.Bil :sun:
[

#87 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Yep, spoke to ServiceDepartmentForeman Neighbour on Sunday afternoon and he confirmed that they have an initial order of 200 sets of the new parts. Of 2500 fortwos sold through MB West Island, they have around 500 active 450 files. He also confirmed the letters started going out yesterday.
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#88 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

2500 cars sold there?There are only 2200 450s in all of Quebec!
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

#89 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Braggadocio?:sun:
[

#90 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

2500 fortwos (450 and 451). I have no reason to doubt that they sold hundreds of 450s, and have active service files on over 500 area 450s.
Francesco

#91 ray4406

ray4406
  • Regular Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

got mine back yesterday with new latches 680.00 charge to MB :huh:

#92 David_18

David_18
  • Regular Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

[The new one or the "old" latches ?

Edited by smart142, 06 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#93 ray4406

ray4406
  • Regular Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

new i checked the parts numbers

#94 ETHICAL BEEF

ETHICAL BEEF
  • Regular Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I went to MB London Wednesday morning to get a head light bulb replaced.WOW! Gotta like their new SHOW ROOM and shop!I asked about my door latches and they booked me in for next Wed @ 7:30 am!Now that is service with a :D !I will let you know how they work!E.B.

#95 yellow bumble bee

yellow bumble bee
  • Regular Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

MB Richmond now have the new latches. Booked in on Feb 14th to have them replaced.Roy
2006 Smart Pulse-151k+ Only 849,000 Kilometres to go to make my first Million
Mac007 on the Spritmonitor.
Lifetime FE 4.18 litres per 100 kilometres. 56.4 MPG (US)

#96 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Has no one received the recall letter yet?Bil :sun:
[

#97 Leadwing

Leadwing

Current President

• Directors
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I haven't received the recall letter yet, but, Like ETHICAL BEEF, was visiting London MB to replace a burned out low beam bulb. (NC for the installation BTW) As soon as the service tech had my V.I.N. and made out the work order, a notice popped up that this car was on the recall list for the door latches. An appointment was made to get "Bruised" done next week and Silverwing will done in early spring. (no winter tires, so I'm not taking a chance on the weather)This bulb replacement is the first that I have had to do since I bought the car 3½ years and 72,000 kms. ago.
You are what you drive

'05 smart pulse "Bruised" (bought used with 94,000kms on it, Sept. 23/09)

'06 smart Passion Cab. "Silverwing" (bought 'gently used' with 4,800 kms on it, Nov. 22/10)

'95 Jeep "winter-beater" (bought used in 1996 with 6,000 kms on it) Sold... June 30/12 with 297,900 kms on it.

'96 Honda Civic, "Dimples", that serves as my wife's bus

'89 Civic "Old Faithful" (bought new in the fall of 1988) Still waiting for the first light bulb to blow. A/C has never been serviced and still chills the cabin area in less than 3 minutes.

and a gaggle of motorcycles including the 35th GoldWing ever made with over 591,000 miles on it. "yeehawww"
.. List of all 15 upon request

#98 GeekLove

GeekLove
  • Regular Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

No letter here, but I had my car at the Surrey, BC MB on Feb. 8th to deal with my glow plugs and was advised of the recall when I dropped him off. They took care of it while they replaced the glow plugs.

Edited by GeekLove, 10 February 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#99 smart65

smart65
  • Regular Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I got my letter on Friday. My car's been off the road since early July after I fell and broke my hip. The insurance is scheduled to be activated on April 1st, so I'll have to wait until then. From the look of the front disks, I may have problems even moving the car. They are very rusty. Am I likely to have to replace them? It's been in an unheated garage all that time. The only precaution I took was to keep the battery tender activated.

Edited by smart65, 10 February 2013 - 12:39 PM.

Gary ...
2005 silver/silver smart passion CDI coupe with bungee grey interior (vanity plate "SMART 65")..
2013 Mazda CX-5 GS (4 cylinder gas engine, 6-spd auto, fwd, red with tan coloured cloth seats).
Some of extras on smart: tach & clock pods, heated seats, sound upgrade, underseat storage tray, electric P/S, softtouch, steelies & Blizzak winter tires, hand controls, MDC cruise control with W/W arm control, MDC armrest, front signal lights converted to Euro-style with original signal lights running as DRLs and front side lighting converted to act only as signal repeaters (now LED), Grundig 6 CD changer, MDC ultimate window package, Scangauge II, 3-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters, Technine stage 2 remap.

#100 lakeside

lakeside
  • Regular Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I also just my letter. I went back to my dealer yesterday, the same dealer who told me two weeks ago my VIN wasn't part of the recall even after I furnished a copy of Transport Canada recall. I sort of stuck the MB letter under the service reps nose (it wasn't his fault though, it was the service manager who alledgedly confirmed the VIN with head office) and I booked an appointment to have the locks changed.If the dealer had told I had to wait for a letter from MB, that I would have understood. But to, shall I say, misinform me about the VIN begs the question:Was he intentionally misinforming me?Was he too lazy to even call head office?Did head office screw up?Was he simply incompetent?Was it an honest error?As we used to say "What evil lurks in the hearts of men (Ok women too), only the Shadow knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rustyvolvo : (17 September 2014 - 06:33 PM) WIS doesn't have everything you need to check the engine bottom end out. I was told that at the dealer if it doesn't pass the compression check the short block is changed. I tried a rebuild but haven't finished it yet. A rebuild thread would be fantastic.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (17 September 2014 - 10:56 AM) I don't think I've seen a detailed CDI engine rebuild discussion anywhere. I believe details are in WIS. You may want to send a message to smart_guy, he has done a few engine rebuilds and may be able to point you in the right direction.
@  jletual : (17 September 2014 - 10:23 AM) can anyone point me in the right direction to any forums that have discussed an engine rebuild in great detail for cdi?  We have acquired a second car, this one with a blown engine from a broken timing chain. Want to take it apart and see if its rebuildable.  Any help/diagrams etc would be great!
@  spider : (17 September 2014 - 06:00 AM) 2009 451 exhaust needed
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 09:59 PM) Lol yikes
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 05:50 PM) Francesco, you're going to have some child protection agency after you because of that comment at 6:28 ;)
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:21 PM) My original 450 steels will be available for sale after I clean them up, 35% Conti TS760s on the skinny fronts, no tires on the rears.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:19 PM) I'm taking all our winter wheels out of storage this week to begin prepping them for sandblasting and paint.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 03:18 PM) Nice!
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 02:38 PM) Winter tires acquired. Boo-ya.
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:28 PM) A 10 yr Italian now costs the same as a 10 yr CDN, and no visas or reciprocity fees to many of the countries that require them from CDN passport holders
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 02:26 PM) Well, it IS google. About six weeks ago I spent a moment or two searching for info about getting an Italian passport, which had previously (until July of this year) been prohibitively expensive.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) I don't see any way to limit languages for adsense. The French ads make sense, since you're in Quebec, but I don't think they'd do italian ones just based on name. Not quite sure what that's about
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) maaayyybeee
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM) lol
@  Francesco : (13 September 2014 - 12:38 PM) Max, any way to block banner ads that are not in English? For some reason or other (perhaps my IP) I get many in French and (perhaps my username) Italian. Most are Italian these days. No idea why.
@  steveyfrac : (13 September 2014 - 10:54 AM) Awesome guys. Thanks. There is a fellow in London selling a lightly used set of winters off a 2006. Wanted to make sure they would fit.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM) The offset is a little different on the rear, they stick out about half an inch more. I think it actually looks better.
@  marchanna : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) Confirmed. That's what I have on my car.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM) See here: http://clubsmartcar....showtopic=27829