Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  steveyfrac : (21 September 2014 - 09:21 PM) Fair enough. :D
@  dmoonen : (21 September 2014 - 07:26 PM) Agreed Stevey but something has to pay for modifying, fixing and towing the smarts :P
@  dmoonen : (21 September 2014 - 07:23 PM) Why not buy another one but smaller and make it lower :P
@  dmoonen : (21 September 2014 - 07:23 PM) Haha yeah wanted another one for towing. My other one (lifted crew cab long bed 32ft long) doesn't fit in the garage.
@  steveyfrac : (21 September 2014 - 07:15 PM) Odd choice for a Smart enthusiast... :D
@  dmoonen : (21 September 2014 - 06:58 PM) Bought another Duramax, loweing it 2" :0
@  marchanna : (20 September 2014 - 07:30 PM) **confused**
@  FlossyTheSmart : (20 September 2014 - 10:50 AM) nope, just gibberish
@  Francesco : (20 September 2014 - 10:09 AM) Let me guess: QuickType on your new iPhone 6?
@  FlossyTheSmart : (20 September 2014 - 09:10 AM) Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
@  Mike T : (20 September 2014 - 08:17 AM) gabba gabba hey
@  cadillacman : (20 September 2014 - 07:58 AM) this is like the smell of the colour nine
@  Francesco : (20 September 2014 - 07:48 AM) I think Lazer was my favourite American Gladiator
@  marchanna : (20 September 2014 - 04:37 AM) random?
@  you-are : (19 September 2014 - 09:17 PM) turbo
@  marchanna : (19 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) fair enough
@  FlossyTheSmart : (19 September 2014 - 07:02 PM) It's certainly not concerning enough to put any man-hours into it.
@  marchanna : (19 September 2014 - 07:01 PM) True, but if the moderator didn't approve it then it would be deleted and the space would be reclaimed. The issue of bandwidth however still remains, and I don't know if that is an issue or not.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (19 September 2014 - 06:56 PM) If you needed moderator approval, the image would still have to be uploaded and the space would still be taken up ;)  But we're not really that close to the limit anyway.  The inability to mass upload a huge number of pictures all at once though is naturally slowing the rate at which we fill up though.
@  marchanna : (19 September 2014 - 06:53 PM) Maybe for the time being having a moderator approval for all uploaded images to ensure space isn't exceeded.

Photo

Warning Lights On. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys!I have something weird with my smart passion.. I noticed that the UJ of the steering column was due so I dismantled the subframe and changed it. During the process I lubricated steering rack and replaced the ball joints as well. I installed subframe etc etc and also dashboard and battery as I had to remove them.Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.More to come...I decided to go for a test ride! steering felt great. No knocking, but after a while the ABS and Traction control sign came on! turned off and on again for a couple of times but without any success.. Warning lights still on.Meanwhile I gathered spread tools in the garage and decided to put it in garage so that tomorrow I could investigate what's wrong. Pull down the handbreak with engine started and now the handbreak light remains on! it remained always on irrelevant if its up or downBy the way I tried the brakes to see if ABS works and nope!! No ABS..What could have gone wrong? Actually I didn't touch any sensors or electrical parts apart from battery! Is there a Reset or something when battery is disconnected and connected again after 4 days?I appreciate the help and comments you'll post..Thanks again,Daniel

#2 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position.Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

#3 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it.

Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.

As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#4 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position. Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

Hi Alex, Well the steering wheel was removed together with the steering column. steering wheel was not disconnected from column so I cannot understand what wheel angle sensor could result with! is there any sensor for the steering wheel? Thanks

#5 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it. As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman

I will give a check from dashboard side. maybe there is something which i have not connected! but yes your right.. its weired how this all happened when I dis-assembled the steering column.. there should be something in common... Thanks mate:)

#6 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Daniel,I forgot about the steering wheel angle sensor.Alex is right, you will have to take your car to Mercedes to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor with a Star machine.Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#7 tolsen

tolsen
  • Regular Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Evilution has instructions on how to set steering angle sensor to zero. http://www.evilution...ndex.php?id=715

#8 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thanks a lot for you help guys!! you're great :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users