Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Bessy : (01 February 2015 - 07:52 AM) That AS IS warning is standard for any dealer selling an as is car, not safetied or etested. OMVIC requires them to state that phrase.
@  cadillacman : (01 February 2015 - 05:25 AM) I was planning on looking it over on Mon aft, they are closed today
@  Francesco : (31 January 2015 - 10:46 PM) Anyone near eastern GTA wanna check it out? $3k is stratospheric for a broken parts car, but if it's more or less intact and maybe just chewed its oil chain...
@  SkydiverChris : (31 January 2015 - 01:09 PM) That's certainly not mine...sounds like that one is an accident car and being sold as is...
@  Francesco : (30 January 2015 - 11:20 PM) grandstyle? http://www.usedvehic...mGqvvmPGzzGLvBP
@  steveyfrac : (30 January 2015 - 10:15 AM) Oddly enough, my last smart I sold for the Cobalt... :D
@  SkydiverChris : (29 January 2015 - 02:15 PM) Cool, that's good to hear! I take delivery tomorrow. I will miss my Smart, but the lack of heat when it's colder than -20...I will not miss.
@  steveyfrac : (29 January 2015 - 12:40 PM) I had a cobalt, the Cruze predecessor. It was a great car.
@  dmoonen : (28 January 2015 - 07:01 AM) I think I test drove one three or four times.
@  dmoonen : (28 January 2015 - 07:00 AM) Oh fun. I like the Cruze's actually. . One of those rare gm vehicles I'd actually buy.
@  SkydiverChris : (27 January 2015 - 02:55 PM) Now instead of a used 2014 Civic, I bought a new 2015 Chevy Cruze. Exhausting week...
@  SkydiverChris : (27 January 2015 - 02:54 PM) For those interested, an advertised price MUST include ALL fees, except HST and licensing. Details here: https://www.omvic.on...InPricing.aspx#
@  SkydiverChris : (27 January 2015 - 02:53 PM) What a crazy few days...I bought a car on Saturday, and had to back out becasue the dealer broke the law. Bought a second car today after fighting with the first dealer to get out of their contract and get my deposit back.
@  jwight : (25 January 2015 - 08:46 AM) Can't be done legally and I'm not willing to do it any other way. Still, great price on a nice car.
@  SkydiverChris : (25 January 2015 - 04:50 AM) Hey Jwight, if you're interested, please feel fre to make an offer. I'm VERY negotiable. We take deliver of our new Civic this coming Saturday. I know a few people have imported the cars, but I don't know all the rules.
@  jwight : (23 January 2015 - 07:48 AM) Chris, that's a good deal on the car. If I could get it into the States legally, I'd consider it.
@  SkydiverChris : (22 January 2015 - 02:58 PM) FYI everyone, I just put my Grandstyle up for sale in the classifieds. If it doesn't go with the car, I have a KWP2000 and a STAR computer that I won't need anymore.
@  2006 smarty : (21 January 2015 - 12:47 PM) found it....right in front of my face :)
@  2006 smarty : (21 January 2015 - 09:05 AM) does anyone know how i can find/search a previous topic (lowering engine) in the how-to 450 model forum?
@  SkydiverChris : (20 January 2015 - 03:47 PM) If it starts rubbing again, I'll be doing it outside in -15c tomorrow afternoon
@  SkydiverChris : (20 January 2015 - 03:46 PM) Nah, only the rear passenger tire. I think that the adjuster got too tight. I took it apart just now and loosened the adjuster to last me the rest of the week. New brakes and drums are arriving in the morning. If it doesn't start touching again, I'll do it this weekend
@  Mike T : (20 January 2015 - 07:25 AM) frozen HB cable?
@  SkydiverChris : (20 January 2015 - 06:14 AM) Mine's been running great after all the starting issues last year. I drove to work this morning though with my passenger brake rubbing. Boy was that drum warm when I got to work!
@  SkydiverChris : (20 January 2015 - 06:08 AM) Hey everyone, it's been a while! Hope everyone car is still running like a whistle!

Photo

Warning Lights On. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys!I have something weird with my smart passion.. I noticed that the UJ of the steering column was due so I dismantled the subframe and changed it. During the process I lubricated steering rack and replaced the ball joints as well. I installed subframe etc etc and also dashboard and battery as I had to remove them.Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.More to come...I decided to go for a test ride! steering felt great. No knocking, but after a while the ABS and Traction control sign came on! turned off and on again for a couple of times but without any success.. Warning lights still on.Meanwhile I gathered spread tools in the garage and decided to put it in garage so that tomorrow I could investigate what's wrong. Pull down the handbreak with engine started and now the handbreak light remains on! it remained always on irrelevant if its up or downBy the way I tried the brakes to see if ABS works and nope!! No ABS..What could have gone wrong? Actually I didn't touch any sensors or electrical parts apart from battery! Is there a Reset or something when battery is disconnected and connected again after 4 days?I appreciate the help and comments you'll post..Thanks again,Daniel

#2 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position.Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

#3 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it.

Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.

As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#4 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position. Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

Hi Alex, Well the steering wheel was removed together with the steering column. steering wheel was not disconnected from column so I cannot understand what wheel angle sensor could result with! is there any sensor for the steering wheel? Thanks

#5 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it. As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman

I will give a check from dashboard side. maybe there is something which i have not connected! but yes your right.. its weired how this all happened when I dis-assembled the steering column.. there should be something in common... Thanks mate:)

#6 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Daniel,I forgot about the steering wheel angle sensor.Alex is right, you will have to take your car to Mercedes to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor with a Star machine.Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#7 tolsen

tolsen
  • Regular Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Evilution has instructions on how to set steering angle sensor to zero. http://www.evilution...ndex.php?id=715

#8 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thanks a lot for you help guys!! you're great :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users