Club smart car

Why is this ad here?

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Warning Lights On. Please Help!, abs, traction control and Handbreak Light !!!
dbrimmer
post Feb 17 2012 - 12:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 6,655

Hi Guys!

I have something weird with my smart passion.. I noticed that the UJ of the steering column was due so I dismantled the subframe and changed it. During the process I lubricated steering rack and replaced the ball joints as well. I installed subframe etc etc and also dashboard and battery as I had to remove them.

Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.

More to come...

I decided to go for a test ride! steering felt great. No knocking, but after a while the ABS and Traction control sign came on! turned off and on again for a couple of times but without any success.. Warning lights still on.

Meanwhile I gathered spread tools in the garage and decided to put it in garage so that tomorrow I could investigate what's wrong. Pull down the handbreak with engine started and now the handbreak light remains on! it remained always on irrelevant if its up or down

By the way I tried the brakes to see if ABS works and nope!! No ABS..

What could have gone wrong? Actually I didn't touch any sensors or electrical parts apart from battery! Is there a Reset or something when battery is disconnected and connected again after 4 days?

I appreciate the help and comments you'll post..

Thanks again,

Daniel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex
post Feb 17 2012 - 12:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,138

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position.
Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

+Quote Post
CANMAN
post Feb 17 2012 - 12:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,481

Hi Daniel,
What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer.
Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it.

QUOTE (dbrimmer @ Feb 17 2012 - 03:09 PM) *
Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.

As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum).
I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair.
You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere?
Canman

--------------------
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

+Quote Post
dbrimmer
post Feb 17 2012 - 01:06 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 17 2012 - 09:33 PM) *
Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position.
Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

Hi Alex,

Well the steering wheel was removed together with the steering column. steering wheel was not disconnected from column so I cannot understand what wheel angle sensor could result with! is there any sensor for the steering wheel?

Thanks

+Quote Post
dbrimmer
post Feb 17 2012 - 01:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (CANMAN @ Feb 17 2012 - 09:39 PM) *
Hi Daniel,
What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer.
Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it.

As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum).
I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair.
You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere?
Canman

I will give a check from dashboard side. maybe there is something which i have not connected! but yes your right.. its weired how this all happened when I dis-assembled the steering column.. there should be something in common...

Thanks mate:)

+Quote Post
CANMAN
post Feb 17 2012 - 01:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,481

Daniel,
I forgot about the steering wheel angle sensor.
Alex is right, you will have to take your car to Mercedes to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor with a Star machine.
Canman

--------------------
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

+Quote Post
tolsen
post Feb 17 2012 - 01:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,409

Evilution has instructions on how to set steering angle sensor to zero.
http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=715

+Quote Post
dbrimmer
post Feb 20 2012 - 12:51 AM
Post #8

Thanks a lot for you help guys!! you're great smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Apr 24 2014 - 02:58 AM