Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  KurtMan : (30 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) It was in fact the PY21 bulb that was burnt, the Canadian Tire associate insisted his computer system was correct and gave me 7528 bulbs. So I will return the bulbs and educate him when I return ��
@  stickman007 : (29 September 2014 - 02:29 PM) I bought a set of triple square from Mac Tools...the only one I ever use was 8mm for the CV
@  Francesco : (29 September 2014 - 09:16 AM) Yeah, ok. Buddy brought over his wife's 2000 Beetle TDI for a detail and I wanted to adjust the doors, but the strikers and hinges both had triple square bolts.
@  dmoonen : (29 September 2014 - 09:01 AM) Had to buy a couple sets for working on my vw's, basicly bbs rims, axels and a outher parts require them including the injector pump on the ALH's. I don't think there's a single one on the smarts that I recall mostly torx, etorx and standard sockets.
@  dmoonen : (29 September 2014 - 08:59 AM) VW need them but smarts no so much
@  Francesco : (29 September 2014 - 08:41 AM) I never noticed, does the 450 use any triple-square bolts? Does the 451? The set will be handy for when I work on Dubs, but was wondering about smarts, too.
@  Francesco : (28 September 2014 - 09:38 PM) The turn signal bulb? Or the bulb that would normally go in the empty BA15s socket below the top brake lamp? The TS is PY21W or P21W, while the one in the empty socket is R5W (207), a 5 Watt bulb. Note than on Canadian 450s that socket isn't connected to any power or earth.
@  KurtMan : (28 September 2014 - 06:00 PM) Thanks guys, I forgot to say it's a 450.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 September 2014 - 05:37 PM) WHich is a yellow bulb, despite being behind a red lens
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 September 2014 - 05:36 PM) Oh, missed the lower break light correction. I think that is a PY21W
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 September 2014 - 05:32 PM) I want to say P21W - I was just changing bulbs on my cabrio yesterday and it's actually on the plastic casing what bulbs are meant to go there - that's what I remember. I'm sure Evilution will have it there somewhere too.
@  marchanna : (28 September 2014 - 03:07 PM) I'm not sure if 450's are the same
@  marchanna : (28 September 2014 - 03:07 PM) On 451 models it's a 7528
@  marchanna : (28 September 2014 - 03:03 PM) What year?
@  KurtMan : (28 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) *I should specify lower break light.
@  KurtMan : (28 September 2014 - 02:48 PM) Does anyone know what the bulb type is in the lower part of a cabrio tail light?
@  amr530711 : (27 September 2014 - 02:16 PM) it's got a hard short on the black cable running from the positive post to the rear of the car - does that connect to the starter or to the alternator? This car seems to eat alternators, and the blackout happened at roughly the same time as the alternator would kick in, just a couple of seconds after moving forward.
@  stickman007 : (27 September 2014 - 01:52 PM) Check your connection at the battery terminals? I think somebody here in the forum had the battery cable melted once...
@  amr530711 : (27 September 2014 - 11:55 AM) hey everyone! I'm having a hard time with the new search, I'm looking for information about a total electrical failure. I started the car, drove about 50 feet, it bucked, the instrument cluster went out, back on, then completely off. and now I have no electrics at all. no four way flashers, can't roll up the window, car won't lock, absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. Not sure what words to use in the search. any help would be appreciated
@  Francesco : (27 September 2014 - 07:10 AM) And a whole set of triple square bits off Amazon for $25. SnapOn rep said they're special order, and each bit is close to $30!!!

Photo

Warning Lights On. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys!I have something weird with my smart passion.. I noticed that the UJ of the steering column was due so I dismantled the subframe and changed it. During the process I lubricated steering rack and replaced the ball joints as well. I installed subframe etc etc and also dashboard and battery as I had to remove them.Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.More to come...I decided to go for a test ride! steering felt great. No knocking, but after a while the ABS and Traction control sign came on! turned off and on again for a couple of times but without any success.. Warning lights still on.Meanwhile I gathered spread tools in the garage and decided to put it in garage so that tomorrow I could investigate what's wrong. Pull down the handbreak with engine started and now the handbreak light remains on! it remained always on irrelevant if its up or downBy the way I tried the brakes to see if ABS works and nope!! No ABS..What could have gone wrong? Actually I didn't touch any sensors or electrical parts apart from battery! Is there a Reset or something when battery is disconnected and connected again after 4 days?I appreciate the help and comments you'll post..Thanks again,Daniel

#2 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position.Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

#3 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it.

Got on the driver seat and turned the key to ignition. There was a beep and the display showed a key sign... no start. turned off and on again, and no start. with the third time with both doors closed as initially I had passengers door open it started normaly! already something weird as normally it would start with an open door.

As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#4 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Steering wheel angle sensor. The control systems need to know the angle of the steering to know how much difference in wheel speeds to expect. The steering wheel probably got turned a bit with the UJ off, and it's now out of position. Handbrake light is not just the handbrake, any braking system fault will set it off. No specific idea.

Hi Alex, Well the steering wheel was removed together with the steering column. steering wheel was not disconnected from column so I cannot understand what wheel angle sensor could result with! is there any sensor for the steering wheel? Thanks

#5 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi Daniel, What you are describing here sounds like the immobilizer. Just press the unlock button on the key with the ignition in the off position to reset it. As to your other problem with the ABS it sounds like a classic case of a cracked reluctor ring on one of the rear wheels ( the flat metal disk with the toothed notches behind the brake drum). I am confused as to why it just started when you did the steering repair. You said you removed the dashboard, perhaps you forgot to hook up a connector somewhere? Canman

I will give a check from dashboard side. maybe there is something which i have not connected! but yes your right.. its weired how this all happened when I dis-assembled the steering column.. there should be something in common... Thanks mate:)

#6 CANMAN

CANMAN
  • Regular Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Daniel,I forgot about the steering wheel angle sensor.Alex is right, you will have to take your car to Mercedes to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor with a Star machine.Canman
2005 steam green cabriolet, cruise control, armrest, side marker lights,
2006 phat red coupe, remote oil filter, armrest, remote battery booster, side marker lights, T.K's restrictor, scangauge, auto up/down windows,

#7 tolsen

tolsen
  • Regular Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Evilution has instructions on how to set steering angle sensor to zero. http://www.evilution...ndex.php?id=715

#8 dbrimmer

dbrimmer
  • Regular Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thanks a lot for you help guys!! you're great :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users