Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  marchanna : (23 October 2014 - 06:26 PM) You should report that, it makes you an accessory after the fact. Oh crap! Now we're all accessories! Speaking of which, I should buy some accessories for my car.
@  Coast Steve : (23 October 2014 - 04:41 PM) He ment to say Killing time
@  Coast Steve : (23 October 2014 - 04:41 PM) Speaking of typing mistakes, my buddy typed to someone "I'm just around the corner killing Tim".
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:52 AM) Going to Glenn's he says he may have what I need.
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:49 AM) This has to do with side lighting.
@  Wild! : (23 October 2014 - 11:49 AM) No that part was done 2 years ago.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (23 October 2014 - 08:48 AM) Top secret panel painting project?
@  Wild! : (22 October 2014 - 04:05 PM) Does some one have an 450 old door skin? one that is broken or garbage want to do some tests on one before I attempt my good ones.
@  Mike T : (22 October 2014 - 06:20 AM) John from Victoria, are you and Keith on the site these days? We have a dinner on November 6th coming up in Victoria! It would be cool to see you both there! See the thread in the Vancouver Island sub-forum.
@  marchanna : (22 October 2014 - 05:37 AM) http://www.vevo.com/...es/USRV81400343
@  marchanna : (22 October 2014 - 05:34 AM) Not really. I love that you caught that. I accidentally typed that, and then I was going to correct it, and then I thought, "hmm, I wonder if I leave it there, if anyone would catch that".
@  FlossyTheSmart : (22 October 2014 - 05:31 AM) "effective"
@  marchanna : (22 October 2014 - 04:41 AM) I'm glad to see the shout box has become an effective form of communication :)
@  cadillacman : (22 October 2014 - 03:02 AM) what do you give to a sick pig ?
@  cadillacman : (22 October 2014 - 03:01 AM) oinkment
@  SkydiverChris : (21 October 2014 - 01:08 PM) Or does it? I say it's a conspiracy and they've fooled everyone!
@  marchanna : (20 October 2014 - 07:23 PM) No, but I have an infrared gun that would do the job. Unfortunately ( or fortunately) the ED doesn't have an exhaust.
@  Wild! : (20 October 2014 - 05:52 PM) Has anyone out there ever taken a temp reading from the exhaust manifold on the 450?
@  Mike T : (20 October 2014 - 10:27 AM) Yes, all of the below!
@  dmoonen : (20 October 2014 - 09:04 AM) Lol perhaps his smart

Photo

Brake Calipers - E18 Or Penta Socket ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RDL

RDL
  • Regular Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

There were two main threads on changing Brake Pads which caused me anxiety. The E18 socket approach appeared to be nonsense because the E18 is based on 6 sided Torx while the problem bolt was 5 sided. The pentagonal socket is not easy to find. Penta_Bolt_annotated.jpg MightyMouseTech saved my day with his clear instruction which I support with a few pictures. Tilting the caliper rather than removing it. Brake_Caliper_annotated.jpg In short MightyMouseTech warns DO NOT REMOVE THE 5 SIDED BOLT. The picture above demonstrates that the Brake Pads are changed by tilting the calipers rather than removing them. Only the top bolt has to be removed. NOTE: the bolt, with blue thread lock, was placed in the caliper only to complete the picture.
2006 Smart Passion cdi - Electric heating burns a lot of Diesel

#2 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I thought that's SOP... every online guide (evilution, fq101) and every how-to here at CsC says to just remove the E18 and tilt the slider up out of the way...
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#3 Mike T

Mike T

We pre-ordered our first smart in July 2002!

• Directors
  • 27,816 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I removed mine on one side only, to change the calliper support. Interestingly, the replacement support does not use a pentagonal bolt.But yah, why remove it for a mere pad change?

2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet, FlyingTiger map 380023_5.png
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A and Winter packages 542252_5.png
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed, other goodies 206221_5.png
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, plan to restore 201066_5.png

#4 Bessy

Bessy
  • Regular Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

What about changing the rotors? Isn't that needed?
2006 Smart ForTwo Pulse , Twister BlueGrey Interior, Star Blue Metallic Panels, Black Cell, Black Windows, and Alloys(in Summer). Named Bessy, lives in Burlington, ON
Best Tank So Far: 3.7L/100km
127,000 KM

Mods Done: ScanGaugeII, Side Markers Now also Turn Signals and L.E.D., L.E.D.s in Axle Tubes as Extra Brake Lights, EGR Emulator/EGR Removed, Vertical Wipers, Air Inlet Delipped, 120V Marine Inlet for Blockheater, Ignition Free Windows, AUX-IN for iPod/MP3, Remap by Smart142, Aftermarket Heated Seats, K&N DropIn, Eibach Pro Springs, Winter wheels are 4 wide rims with 4 skinny tires(looking to buy a pair of 20mm spacers for rears).

All work done by owner (Level 2 Automotive Apprentice) who is looking to work on other smarts(except Re-Maps see Smart142 for that!)
Specialize in Reluctor Rings done while you wait, sometimes done in as little as an hour!
Brakes, TieRods, Ball Joints, Control Arms, Thermostats, Springs & Stuts/Shocks, Wheel Bearings Etc!

#5 RDL

RDL
  • Regular Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

I wish I had noticed the Evilution tutorial. http://www.evilution...ndex.php?id=279 It was my impression that several threads advocated the removal of the 5 sided bolt, to replace the pads, which is the reason for starting a new thread.
2006 Smart Passion cdi - Electric heating burns a lot of Diesel

#6 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

What about changing the rotors? Isn't that needed?

No, for that you remove both E18s on the caliper bracket. The the slider is just 13 and 17 mm wrenches and some muscle. FWIW I found it necessary to use a U-joint and breaker bar with a short pipe extension to get enough torque to break the E18s free. http://www.fq101.co....s-and-pads.html ETA: I just noticed in my post above I misremembered. The slider doesn't use the E18, just a 13 mm bolt.
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#7 Alex

Alex
  • Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

Ideally I think that pentabolt should be removed after long service to lube it. Perhaps with a rotor change, which is usually every second pad change. "Lubed for life" may apply in a warm dry salt-free climate, but not for our cars!

#8 tolsen

tolsen
  • Regular Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

I replaced those penta bolts with standard hex bolts years ago. You should all do same at the earliest opportunity.

By the way, it looks like you may have a problem.
Posted Image
Has the rubber gaiter sheared off in way of the narrowest section?

This can easily happen when you do not remove both bolts but swing calliper on lower bolt instead.

Edited by tolsen, 15 October 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#9 diesel4me

diesel4me
  • New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I thought that's SOP... every online guide (evilution, fq101) and every how-to here at CsC says to just remove the E18 and tilt the slider up out of the way...

[size=3]Have you found a source for a penta bolt socket & if so, what size is it? I like to clean & lubricate the caliper sliders because of the road salt that's used where I live rusts everything terribly.

Edited by diesel4me, 27 November 2012 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users