Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Brake Calipers - E18 Or Penta Socket ?
RDL
post Oct 14 2012 - 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 9,286

There were two main threads on changing Brake Pads which caused me anxiety. The E18 socket approach appeared to be nonsense because the E18 is based on 6 sided Torx while the problem bolt was 5 sided. The pentagonal socket is not easy to find.
Attached File  Penta_Bolt_annotated.jpg ( 275.68K ) Number of downloads: 30

MightyMouseTech saved my day with his clear instruction which I support with a few pictures.
Tilting the caliper rather than removing it.

Attached File  Brake_Caliper_annotated.jpg ( 331.48K ) Number of downloads: 45

In short MightyMouseTech warns DO NOT REMOVE THE 5 SIDED BOLT. The picture above demonstrates that the Brake Pads are changed by tilting the calipers rather than removing them. Only the top bolt has to be removed. NOTE: the bolt, with blue thread lock, was placed in the caliper only to complete the picture.

--------------------
2006 Smart Passion cdi - Electric heating burns a lot of Diesel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Francesco
post Oct 14 2012 - 04:15 PM
Post #2

CsC BoD Member

Group: Directors
Member No.: 2,983

I thought that's SOP... every online guide (evilution, fq101) and every how-to here at CsC says to just remove the E18 and tilt the slider up out of the way...

--------------------
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|Wolo horn|No More Slammin'|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles||coming up Blindy|Forge TIK|Bilstein|torque damper|Morimoto||wishlist Monoblock A|more leather||

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Oct 14 2012 - 06:59 PM
Post #3

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Member No.: 5

I removed mine on one side only, to change the calliper support. Interestingly, the replacement support does not use a pentagonal bolt.

But yah, why remove it for a mere pad change?

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post
Bessy
post Oct 15 2012 - 05:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,504

What about changing the rotors? Isn't that needed?

--------------------
2006 Smart ForTwo Pulse , Twister BlueGrey Interior, Star Blue Metallic Panels, Black Cell, Black Windows, and Alloys(in Summer), SGII. Named Bessy, lives in Burlington, ON
Best Tank So Far: 3.7L/100km
120,000 KM

Mods Done: Side Markers Now also Turn Signals and L.E.D., L.E.D.s in Axle Tubes as Extra Brake Lights, EGR Emulator/EGR Removed, Vertical Wipers, Air Inlet Delipped, 120V Marine Inlet for Blockheater, Ignition Free Windows, AUX-IN for iPod/MP3, Remap by Smart142, Aftermarket Heated Seats, Winter wheels are 4 wide rims with 4 skinny tires(looking to buy a pair of 20mm spacers for rears).

All work done by owner (Level 2 Automotive Apprentice) who is looking to work on other smarts. Also have access to fully stocked shop, including Snap-On Verus Pro which does alot of the things a STAR can do including Clutch Re-Learn (except Re-Maps see Smart142 for that!)

+Quote Post
RDL
post Oct 15 2012 - 05:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,286

I wish I had noticed the Evilution tutorial.
http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=279

It was my impression that several threads advocated the removal of the 5 sided bolt, to replace the pads, which is the reason for starting a new thread.

--------------------
2006 Smart Passion cdi - Electric heating burns a lot of Diesel

+Quote Post
Francesco
post Oct 15 2012 - 06:04 AM
Post #6

CsC BoD Member

Member No.: 2,983

QUOTE (Bessy @ Oct 15 2012 - 09:10 AM) *
What about changing the rotors? Isn't that needed?

No, for that you remove both E18s on the caliper bracket. The the slider is just 13 and 17 mm wrenches and some muscle. FWIW I found it necessary to use a U-joint and breaker bar with a short pipe extension to get enough torque to break the E18s free.

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortw...s-and-pads.html

ETA: I just noticed in my post above I misremembered. The slider doesn't use the E18, just a 13 mm bolt.

--------------------
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|Wolo horn|No More Slammin'|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles||coming up Blindy|Forge TIK|Bilstein|torque damper|Morimoto||wishlist Monoblock A|more leather||

+Quote Post
Alex
post Oct 15 2012 - 06:22 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,138

Ideally I think that pentabolt should be removed after long service to lube it. Perhaps with a rotor change, which is usually every second pad change. "Lubed for life" may apply in a warm dry salt-free climate, but not for our cars!

+Quote Post
tolsen
post Oct 15 2012 - 12:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,409

I replaced those penta bolts with standard hex bolts years ago. You should all do same at the earliest opportunity.

By the way, it looks like you may have a problem.

Has the rubber gaiter sheared off in way of the narrowest section?

This can easily happen when you do not remove both bolts but swing calliper on lower bolt instead.

This post has been edited by tolsen: Oct 15 2012 - 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
diesel4me
post Nov 27 2012 - 10:48 AM
Post #9

Group: New Members
Member No.: 7,645

QUOTE (Francesco @ Oct 14 2012 - 04:15 PM) *
I thought that's SOP... every online guide (evilution, fq101) and every how-to here at CsC says to just remove the E18 and tilt the slider up out of the way...

[size=3]Have you found a source for a penta bolt socket & if so, what size is it? I like to clean & lubricate the caliper sliders because of the road salt that's used where I live rusts everything terribly.

This post has been edited by diesel4me: Nov 27 2012 - 11:25 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Apr 20 2014 - 10:29 AM