Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Th3Guardian : (19 December 2014 - 08:05 PM) Random question, anyone in the Ottawa area have a spare set of headlight bulb covers for a 451? (rubber things that go over bulbs). I want to install my HID bulbs
@  Mike T : (18 December 2014 - 07:18 AM) Thanks! Same sentiment to all!
@  Wild! : (18 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) Here is to every one, Have a good Christmas and or Holiday Every one!
@  Mike T : (17 December 2014 - 04:15 PM) Never mind
@  Mike T : (17 December 2014 - 04:15 PM) Eh speak up sonny
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 04:01 PM) gonna pull it out and re lube
@  kdubya : (15 December 2014 - 02:47 PM) Figures right? I usually go a week between issues.
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 12:49 PM) My alternator was pooched. I bought a used one from Troy and it's working flawlessly now. week before last I put it in... today. Clutch actuator goes on mt
@  TheBestJohn : (15 December 2014 - 12:48 PM) So get this
@  Th3Guardian : (13 December 2014 - 08:29 PM) That's good to hear, its half off right now at $282.09 Canadian so I'm thinking of just ordering it.
@  Mike T : (13 December 2014 - 08:17 PM) It's the only decent cruise that was available for the 451 in the first years.
@  Th3Guardian : (13 December 2014 - 07:32 PM) does anyone have experience with this cruise control? http://www.smartiepa...e=index&cPath=1
@  FlossyTheSmart : (10 December 2014 - 11:30 AM) If anyone ever happens across a dead attachment (The file doesn't exist when you go to download it), let me know the link to the file. Generally you'll encounter dead attachments in posts older than 2007. The dead links are raising some (false) red flags for me on some things, and it's kind of annoying, so I've been making sure to edit the links away as I find them. The files are typically gone for good.
@  twobytwo : (09 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Pre-Owned Electric Drive Coupe for sale if anyone is interested... details in Dealer Showroom section...
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:25 AM) http://clubsmartcar....showtopic=29229
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:24 AM) V
@  Th3Guardian : (09 December 2014 - 08:24 AM) just posted a how to on installing a heater pad on 451s, if anyone is thinking of adding this before winter actually hits take a look here.
@  ishkabibble : (07 December 2014 - 11:17 AM) 279489
@  mowser : (07 December 2014 - 10:10 AM) oil filter for the 450

Photo

Remove Old Oil Stains From Asphalt Driveway?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Lots of professional car guys in here... in your experience, what is the best way to remove year-old oil spots from my asphalt parking space? Something where I don't have to do a whole lot of scrubbing? I can't reach the area with a hose, but I guess I can haul water buckets to rinse away residue.

And once I get the worst off, what is the best thing to put down outdoors to prevent oil spotting? Maybe something I can just leave lying on the space that won't blow away... It's a rental space, so I can't use asphalt sealer or the like.

Looking for a low-effort, low-cost solution.

[Please don't tell me to just fix my car]

TIA,
Bil :sun:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
::
[

#2 Lito

Lito
  • Regular Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have the same problem, but it is more of an oil puddle mixed with brake fluid, left by years of old cars, and on top of paving stones (the brick colour kind). I once used some Canadian Tire oil/degreaser with zero results. It kind of made the oil spot shinier at best.Pizza boxes are OK for a temporary fix, but wind will make them fly unless you filled them with stones.PS. Fixing your car sounds like the easy, lazy way. There's got to be a better option ;)
Lito
2009 451 Pure w/ac

#3 Mike T

Mike T

We pre-ordered our first smart in July 2002!

• Directors
  • 27,967 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Detergents like clothes washing powder will do some good. Get one of those heavy rubber floor mats with fuzzy stuff on it to catch your oil vent tube juice, they will never blow away.

2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet, FlyingTiger map 380023_5.png
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A and Winter packages 542252_5.png
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed, other goodies 206221_5.png
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, plan to restore 201066_5.png

#4 lebikerboy

lebikerboy
  • Regular Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Among the thousands of uses for WD-40, stain removal is up there as a very effective use for this versatile product. Just spray the stain with WD-40 and let it soak for around 30 minutes. Then rub in a little dish soap and wash off.

Edited by lebikerboy, 01 December 2012 - 09:38 PM.

[color="#8B0000"]2006 Lite White Pure , X-Gauge and tach, Corelines with Vredestein Quatrac 3 175/195, LED side markers, stubby antenna, embroidered luggage cover, Bosch 3300 filter, M20 spin-on adapter, Motul X-cess 5W-40 , Mann cabin filter, blind spot mirrors, smartmods plastic frame end caps, old style cup holder, K&N E-9257 air filter, Michalak air sucker, chicken head fuel cover badge, 135 dB "Freeway Blaster" horn, EBC redstuff pads/USR rotors, Optima Red Top 34/78 battery, Flying Tiger cdi remap, custom seat covers, 451 Brabus "Euro" softtouch shift knob, Michalak mirror/door covers, custom 450 cdi badges, custom license frames, aluminum pedal covers, 17mm wheel bolts with covers, rear view mirror adapter, LED 3rd brake light, "GT Sport" stainless exhaust, RS stainless valance, Eibach Pro springs, Vortex Generators, Bosch Evolution wipers.

#5 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Thanks guys! Might be time to bite into the balance of my courtesy card at Princess Auto and pick up some WD-40, a brush & bucket combo, and some kind of rubber matting. As a responsible tenant, I owe it to the housing association to keep my parking space clean.Bil :sun:
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
[

#6 cruise_carter

cruise_carter
  • Regular Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRgrease.htm have had good success with this, Can Tire sells it. other option is kitty litter, spread some down. it will absorb oil and will pick up a bit from the asphalt. clean up and spread some new stuff every few weeks
driving a smart is, well.............just SMART!!

#7 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think I'll begin with the cat litter - I can get that at the grocery store a block from the house. I suppose any old clay-based litter will do.B :sun:
[

#8 Lito

Lito
  • Regular Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

whatever you do with it, make sure NO to dispose of it in the toilet. Don't ask how I know that's a bad idea :unsure:
Lito
2009 451 Pure w/ac

#9 scwmcan

scwmcan
  • Regular Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Bil, Home depot ( at least) sells an oil remover for when you are going to seal your driveway, I used it on ours before I sealed it, my spots were a few years old thoug, so it didn't remove everything ( and since I was sealing it, I wasn't worried about the stain itself so much as making sure the sealer would adhere to the spot), on the newer spots it did seem to remove most if not all of the traces o of the spots, it wasn't too expensive and at the very least will not damage the pavement. You just spray it on wait the specified time and rinse it off, for stubborn stains you can s rub a bit too as I recall ( will check out the bottle instructions when I get a chance). Hope that you can keep your spot clean ( and your landlord happy that you are a responsible tenant).
Scott Martini
2005 Fortwo Passion Cabriolet

#10 Graham

Graham

"Our" departed smart. It was fun.

• Regular Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Among the thousands of uses for WD-40, stain removal is up there as a very effective use for this versatile product. Just spray the stain with WD-40 and let it soak for around 30 minutes. Then rub in a little dish soap and wash off.

Be sure to test that first. Even diesel fuel will dissolve asphalt and I would think that WD-40 would too. I have had the same problem on our driveway. Canadian tire sell a product that works if stain is not too old. http://www.canadiant...l.jsp?locale=en Write up here: http://joneakes.com/...-actually-works I have also used Simple Green or some type of Citrus cleaner I had . Anything that is water based is safest to use. When spill is new, kitty litter will soak it up quickly. I use cardboard to catch drips, but that is in garage . I also have some plastic trays that I found somewhere that I use if I know where a drip is. If you Google you can find oil drip trays from metal or heavy plastic. Like these: http://www.aircrafts...s/drippan24.php There are also rolls of oil absorbent material available. Just not too sure how well it would work outdoors, but it does work on a mix of water and oil in boats. Something like this: https://www.cleanups...oor-mat-s/2.htm. I need to do something myself - smart doesn't leak, but my two older cars both have small drips. Good Luck with it!
'06 42 CDI Passion (sold), '85 300D, '72 350SL, '98 E320

#11 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Outdoors is a real problem. Since I started addressing this question, it's either been raining or snowing!B :sun:
[

#12 falcon_1898

falcon_1898
  • Regular Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Uh...why not just roll used oil all over the driveway so that they all stain the same? then clean up the slippery stuff with some oil absorber?

#13 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Not a terrible idea! Solvents like gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, hydraulic and brake fluid will dissolve bituminous asphalt concrete in a hurry, but oil drips (and Bil's PCV sludge) will just bind with the bitumen and the pulverized kitty litter (or "OilAbsorb" product, both based on bentonite clay and possibly diatomaceous earth) will actually stabilize the concrete. ;) A couple of oil changes' worth should cover a normal two-car driveway, but it will need quite a bit of OilAbsorb to pick up the excess, and -- legally speaking -- the oily kitty litter must now be disposed of properly, usually at a hazardous waste centre.My neighbour across the street parks one of his vehicles on my driveway's "fifth spot" throughout the winter in exchange for a big discount on snow clearing services (he runs two tractors with blowers and serves about 300 local driveways). Bad luck for me, one of his vehicles (tractors, 2003 F150, 1996 Camry) has left a huge oil stain in that spot over the winter. Next door (Service Foreman) Neighbour suggested spinkling it with Tide laundry powder and pulverizing it in, then letting it dissolve the oil gradually with each rainfall, and finally getting the driveway oil spot remover from Rona/Home Depot and using a pressure washer to power it out.
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#14 waycoolrollers

waycoolrollers
  • Regular Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Easiest way to remove oil stains from a driveway is to pour coke in it. The acid in the coke will keep disolving the oil until it is gone. This is according to a post IT received on facebook to solve cleaning problems easily. It is worth a try. :D

Brenda and Robert Smith
WayCool Rollers

#15 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Problem is, things that dissolve the oil will also dissolve the bitumen tarmac driveway... :scratch:Addendum: OK, I googled the Coca-Cola idea and it might be worth a try. Coke and kitty litter. Yummy!Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone, 24 April 2013 - 08:46 PM.

[

#16 Francesco

Francesco

CsC BoD Member

• Directors
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Coke won't work but to attract ants.That email has been making the rounds since email has existed. Oh, which reminds me. I have to reply to that Nigerian prince!
Francesco

2006 fortwo cdi pulse cabrio phat red/silver|heated leather|PLUS|sound|rack||mods OE cruise|Cabriotec heated glass rear window|custom red silicone cdi TIK|all-LED EU lamps front & rear|OE mud-flaps|colour-coded|garage opener|wiper nozzle|SGII|remap|spin-on oil filter|K&N air filter|RS grille|Painted smart Mods de Dion caps|Hella Micro DE fogs|MDC sucker|R1 Concepts brakes|TK's restrictor mod|LED angel eyes|stainless EGR delete|RS paddles|HEL braided brake lines|Bilstein B14 PSS coil-overs|PowerFlex bushings|Michalak 16" wheels||coming up Blindy|torque damper|Morimoto||

#17 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Noooo! He's promised to share his inheritance with ME! :bangin:
[

#18 Lito

Lito
  • Regular Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Do ants like oil? There might be something there... Genetically modified ants. I wonder if DuPont already has a patent on that one?
Lito
2009 451 Pure w/ac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users