451 Diesel Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpyb

Grumpyb
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Since there is no 451 diesel section, I will ask the question here. Does anyone know what the fault code P1408 means.My CDI has had a number of problems but its down to this one now that causes the engine to drop revs to 3000rpm after about a minute of running.I feel sure its related to the EGR system but it would help to have a bit more specific description.Grumpy-b

#2 FlossyTheSmart

FlossyTheSmart

Webmaster

• Directors
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

P1408 seems to be EGR related, probably it's clogged. See THIS
2005 Pulse Coupe - "Flossy" - Scratch Black (Summer), Stream Green (Winter) with Silver Tridion - Glasses Holder, Cruise Control, Uncle Glenn's Remap, Mirror Triangle Stickers that say "Flossy" from smartsticker.de, side markers that blink with the turn signals, Euro style turn signals in headlights, Angel Eyes, Under seat drawer, CsC Sticker in Rear Window, Wet Okole Seat Covers with driver's side seat warmer, under dash LED lighting, door VIP lighting, LEDs in centre console light and rear light pod, S-Smart Arm Rest, Kenwood amp connected to 5.25" speakers in bass bins, powered subwoofer under passenger seat, Car PC

2006 Passion Cabriolet - Unnamed as of yet - Scratch Black with Silver Tridion - Formerly Diesel Daves - Technine Stage II Remap, HID Headlights and Foglights, MB Star on front

#3 Grumpyb

Grumpyb
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the link.I was astounded by the amount of gunge that was in the EGR system not just carbon but greasy deposits as well. I have already cleaned out the casting directing the gas into the inlet, and recently took out the main EGR valve. No mean feat.This was completely clogged and was blocked. This took away the error code of P1409. Upstream of this on the exhaust side is a round chamber attached to the turbo, not easy to get out but looking at the reasonable condition spare I have (Lower mileage but also a fair amount of internal deposit) mine is probably partially blocked. But this is a terror to get at. Turbo out again I think.It is a shame that Smart dont make the codes available, they stated that I would have to take the car to them and they charge 120 an hour just to get the code. Which aparently they cant give you but can only get while online. Seems a bit far fetched as the clones of Star give such data without being connected to MB.Grumpy-b

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  autocrash : (01 September 2014 - 05:42 PM) high beams, all the time, no compromise!
@  turbomar : (01 September 2014 - 05:15 PM) Somewhat enable twilight running lights!
@  cadillacman : (01 September 2014 - 12:38 PM) enable nightime running lights
@  amr530711 : (01 September 2014 - 09:54 AM) disable daytime running lights
@  spider : (01 September 2014 - 09:00 AM) where is the gas filter on the 451 model
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 09:05 PM) Anyone in the ottawa area send me a friend request also
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 08:59 PM) Any one have the fondest clue as to why the seat reclining lever is on the inside of the seat? Any one else find this annoying?  :lookaround:
@  Th3Guardian : (31 August 2014 - 06:27 AM) I have used a rear set of rims on my front and noticed a little bit of a difference in fuel economy, how ever it's a smart car so it's nothing to B!tch about.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (30 August 2014 - 06:51 PM) 451 is a different beast though. People have been putting the same size wheel (standard rear size, or larger) all around on the 451 for quite a while now, with no issues.
@  turbomar : (30 August 2014 - 06:48 PM) I did try to put rear wheels on the front of my 450 with poor results. The wheels stick out over an inch. The tires rub when the suspension bottoms as well as when you turn the wheels. I slightly damaged the fenders doing it
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 05:22 PM) Also just finished installing a set of 2 10" fusion subs with a 1200watt Sony Xplode amplifier. Couldn't wait for my 8" kicker rt sub to come in
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 05:19 PM) Does any one know if running rear rims on the front of my smart car will actually do damage? there is a ton of speculation but no proven damage, I understand that you you probably ware out your tie rods and bearings quicker but is any damage actually
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:08 PM) i did my wheel centre caps yesterday but nothing today. A couple of things to noodle with in the near future. I have ten days off starting the 10th, so probably then.
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) me too. diY
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) After work, maybe. Oh, dYi. Carry on! ;)
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 11:40 AM) DIY projects. If I knew how to type...
@  Th3Guardian : (30 August 2014 - 11:39 AM) any DUI projects going on this weekend
@  PeacefulWarrior : (30 August 2014 - 11:18 AM) Help! My door latch has failed with the door closed! Can anyone tell me how to open the door? 06 diesel Pure The outside handle is loose and limp. The inside handle is resistant but springy.
@  Francesco : (30 August 2014 - 09:23 AM) I still have backdraft oil spots all over my cars rear end. Only thing I can think is the mocal spin on adapter's square section o-ring is perished. I hope it's not one of the new axle oil seals. Any guesses?
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 August 2014 - 10:59 AM) Excellent, although I see the category listing must show the original author, rather than the person who last edited it.