451 Diesel Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpyb

Grumpyb
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Since there is no 451 diesel section, I will ask the question here. Does anyone know what the fault code P1408 means.My CDI has had a number of problems but its down to this one now that causes the engine to drop revs to 3000rpm after about a minute of running.I feel sure its related to the EGR system but it would help to have a bit more specific description.Grumpy-b

#2 FlossyTheSmart

FlossyTheSmart

Webmaster

• Directors
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

P1408 seems to be EGR related, probably it's clogged. See THIS
2005 Pulse Coupe - "Flossy" - Scratch Black (Summer), Stream Green (Winter) with Silver Tridion - Glasses Holder, Cruise Control, Uncle Glenn's Remap, Mirror Triangle Stickers that say "Flossy" from smartsticker.de, side markers that blink with the turn signals, Euro style turn signals in headlights, Angel Eyes, Under seat drawer, CsC Sticker in Rear Window, Wet Okole Seat Covers with driver's side seat warmer, under dash LED lighting, door VIP lighting, LEDs in centre console light and rear light pod, S-Smart Arm Rest, Kenwood amp connected to 5.25" speakers in bass bins, powered subwoofer under passenger seat, Car PC

2006 Passion Cabriolet - Unnamed as of yet - Scratch Black with Silver Tridion - Formerly Diesel Daves - Technine Stage II Remap, HID Headlights and Foglights, MB Star on front

#3 Grumpyb

Grumpyb
  • Regular Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the link.I was astounded by the amount of gunge that was in the EGR system not just carbon but greasy deposits as well. I have already cleaned out the casting directing the gas into the inlet, and recently took out the main EGR valve. No mean feat.This was completely clogged and was blocked. This took away the error code of P1409. Upstream of this on the exhaust side is a round chamber attached to the turbo, not easy to get out but looking at the reasonable condition spare I have (Lower mileage but also a fair amount of internal deposit) mine is probably partially blocked. But this is a terror to get at. Turbo out again I think.It is a shame that Smart dont make the codes available, they stated that I would have to take the car to them and they charge 120 an hour just to get the code. Which aparently they cant give you but can only get while online. Seems a bit far fetched as the clones of Star give such data without being connected to MB.Grumpy-b

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 August 2014 - 10:59 AM) Excellent, although I see the category listing must show the original author, rather than the person who last edited it.
@  SkydiverChris : (28 August 2014 - 09:18 AM) Edited successfully. I'm in the list now.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (28 August 2014 - 05:38 AM) BTW, I'm fairly certain the wiki at the top of the page should be fully operational, and editable by anyone, but no one has edited it since I moved everything back in. Could someone try making an update, maybe on the "How many KM on your smart" page or something?
@  P0003 : (27 August 2014 - 04:02 PM) =]
@  SkydiverChris : (27 August 2014 - 04:02 PM) Just an update, but it looks like I've found a ride for the window. Thanks everyone!
@  SkydiverChris : (26 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) If anyone is headed from the London, ON area to the Ottawa area, I have $100 for anyone who can get a rear window to me.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 09:20 AM) Vote for my picture on us129photos.com HERE so that I can get a free poster!
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:24 AM) Cadillacman, good thing you figured it out. That's a pretty weird string to block on...
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:23 AM) I think the SAM and EDG (Presumably the ECU you mean) have to be paired. The SAM stores the key coding
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:20 AM) I don't know which of the 2 items actually stores the key details
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:20 AM) What about pairing a used SAM with an existing ECU... is that workable?
@  cadillacman : (26 August 2014 - 08:18 AM) All topics with string '888' were being blocked by a SiteBlock addon ... gads, the perils of avoiding sketchy websites
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:17 AM) Don't think there's a way to disable the immobilizer
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:15 AM) I wonder if there is a way to completely disable the immobilizer function while I'm getting things done. What a pain in the neck.
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:14 AM) Oh dear what have I gotten myself in to... hah. Well in another month things should show up. I was just put off by the dealer telling me it was 100% impossible to code a used key to a used ecu :(
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:12 AM) you just need the electronics work.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:12 AM) Lol yeah. In your case though, you won't need to spend as much, as you don't actually need new keys or blades
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:11 AM) Looks like I'm in for a fun time. Ouch.
@  P0003 : (26 August 2014 - 08:10 AM) "If you bought a car with 1 key or some how lost both keys then you are about to agree with me that you're
an idiot." lol
@  FlossyTheSmart : (26 August 2014 - 08:10 AM) He notes under the 451 section that it is impossible to recode a 451 for more keys if you don't have an original. He says this is to prevent someone from walking up, coding a key, then driving your car away, which is apparently possible on the 450 and roadster. You may be in luck