Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - Chat with members! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dmoonen : (22 November 2014 - 09:48 AM) Yes it is Turbomar.
@  turbomar : (22 November 2014 - 07:38 AM) Is the socket size for the drive axle bolt to hub on the 450, 12 point 21mm?
@  dmoonen : (21 November 2014 - 03:41 PM) I think glow plug gets triggered by the coolant sensor
@  FlossyTheSmart : (21 November 2014 - 12:11 PM) I couldn't tell you for sure.
@  kdubya : (21 November 2014 - 11:39 AM) i played around a bunch, entered everything i could. i didn't see it anywhere. Is it something we know the Star can do?
@  FlossyTheSmart : (21 November 2014 - 09:52 AM) There are a whole lot of read outs in there, so you may have to dig around a bit, but that's where I would think they'd be.
@  kdubya : (21 November 2014 - 09:45 AM) k ill check. i want to make sure they are working. just a read out of temp
@  FlossyTheSmart : (21 November 2014 - 09:21 AM) probably under the "Engine" section
@  FlossyTheSmart : (21 November 2014 - 09:20 AM) Read out is likely under Systems>N3/9 (EDG control unit) > Actual Value Indicator, somewhere.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (21 November 2014 - 09:18 AM) As in, configurable, or just a read out?
@  kdubya : (21 November 2014 - 08:58 AM) Anyone know where to find cylinder temp (glow plug function) on the Star??
@  FlossyTheSmart : (19 November 2014 - 11:38 AM) classic
@  Mike T : (19 November 2014 - 11:38 AM) Hodor
@  evotell : (19 November 2014 - 11:35 AM) Saying your own name, I don't get it?
@  dmoonen : (19 November 2014 - 10:52 AM) Saying your own name evotell :P
@  evotell : (19 November 2014 - 10:49 AM) evotell
@  KurtMan : (18 November 2014 - 06:29 PM) Well, we repaired the wires and its driving fine now... I guess I'll have to wait for another slushy day to be sure. Thanks for all the help guys!
@  Mike T : (18 November 2014 - 05:24 PM) This happened to our dearly departed green car too and the solution was that simple.
@  SkydiverChris : (18 November 2014 - 03:32 PM) Glad to hear that you may have found the cause Kurt! Keep us posted! It's almost never that simple.
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 12:00 PM) cost me close to $300 to tow from the Canadian border post at Hemingford to my driveway (80 km), and my car was up on blocks for two weeks while I tracked down and resolved the issues.
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 11:58 AM) jurist? During
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 11:58 AM) Yep, mine started acting up jurist a January thaw on a long steady drive through the country, then the car refused to move on a slushy day on a long steady drive on the same roads a week later. The slushy brine is both conductive and tenacious.
@  FlossyTheSmart : (18 November 2014 - 11:40 AM) That's probably it.
@  KurtMan : (18 November 2014 - 11:21 AM) So my friend with soldering skills is going to help me after work... I'm confident this will solve the problem. First slushy day we have so it must have splashed up there and shorted out.
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 10:25 AM) knock on wood, no recurrence after two winters and three summers.
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 10:25 AM) then wraped all in Tesa cloth harness tape ($20 a roll at MB, about the same off ebay)
@  Francesco : (18 November 2014 - 10:24 AM) Yeah, mine was the same. I repaired the wires and coated the whole thing in Liquid Electrical Tape ($9 at CT)
@  stickman007 : (18 November 2014 - 10:20 AM) There's probably corrosion inside the sheath due to moisture getting in
@  FlossyTheSmart : (18 November 2014 - 07:29 AM) with the wires chafed, they're probably only intermittantly making good contact. Wrapping in electrical tape probably won't be able to keep the connection good.
@  KurtMan : (18 November 2014 - 07:26 AM) What if I wrap the chafed wires in electrical tape and try driving around?
@  FlossyTheSmart : (18 November 2014 - 07:21 AM) hopefully it's as simple as that!
@  KurtMan : (18 November 2014 - 07:11 AM) I immediately found 2 chafed wires at the connection to the clutch actuator!
@  dmoonen : (18 November 2014 - 05:49 AM) Majority of the problems are in the engine harness area right at the IC scoop. Removing the IC would give you more wiggle room and less curse words
@  dmoonen : (18 November 2014 - 05:47 AM) SAM to rear ecu travels under the carpet and right into the firewall behind the seats.
@  dmoonen : (18 November 2014 - 05:46 AM) Harness to two sections: 1:Rear ECU TO engine sensors and components. 2: Sam:Rear ECU.
@  dmoonen : (18 November 2014 - 05:44 AM) No you dont need to kurt, mainly around the intercooler scoop area and back youll be
@  KurtMan : (18 November 2014 - 04:27 AM) Do I have to remove any of the under panels to get to the harness?
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 04:33 PM) Well maybe if I need a star machine I'll send you a message Max!
@  FlossyTheSmart : (17 November 2014 - 04:20 PM) I think just me, Chris, and Troy have star machines in the Ottawa area.
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 04:03 PM) Any help would be appreciated!
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:58 PM) NOt sure if anyone out your way has a Star, but there are a couple people around Ottawa that do. If you're stuck, they may be able to help
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 03:56 PM) Thanks I appreciate it!
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:55 PM) Sorry man, if you're still stuck on the weekend, I might be convinced to make a trip out that way (unless someone else gets there before I do), but there's a tonne of stuff to try, and the Star may or may not give you something to go on.
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 03:49 PM) Ya I feel ya... I guess I'll check the fork and harness tomorrow and go from there. Wish me luck!
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:46 PM) Ewww...that's one hell of a trip. haha
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 03:42 PM) Innes/Tenth line exactly
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:42 PM) If it was summer, I skydive in Gatineau and am out that way almost every weekend. Unfortunately, we don't jump in winter much.
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:40 PM) I'm actually out 15 minutes west of Carleton Place, so it's a bit of a trek. Are you like "Innes/10th Line" east, or like, St Laurent East?
@  SkydiverChris : (17 November 2014 - 03:39 PM) More here too: http://www.fq101.co....the-3-bars.html
@  KurtMan : (17 November 2014 - 03:38 PM) What would it take to get you to venture out of your comfort zone? lol

Photo

A and B Service costs:

• Please log in to reply
638 replies to this topic

#1 Dang

Dang
  • Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Gang....Since each dealership can set their own price for the A and B service, the purpose of this sticky is to post what you paid at your local dealer. This will help others find dealers in their area with the best price. Please don't do replies to postings in this topic so it will be easy for all to view. Just post what you paid, and any additional comments that are appropriate. (washed car, extra charge for 3l oil, that sort of thing.)Thanks! Dang
2005 smart fortwo Passion Blue

Factory Options:
Leather wheel w/shift paddles, Clock, Tach, Sound Package, Drawer, Filter, Heated Leather Seats, Soft Touch.

After Market:
Brabus Grille, Computer, Kenwood DVD/Nav, iPod, more. Click here for pictures.

#2 Speedie

Speedie

Former Chief cook and bottle washer

• Administrators
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

Three Point Motors in Victoria - B serviceLabour $114.00 Parts $55.14 (air filter, oil filter, oil, washer fluid - actually just a line item - no $9.00 bill per litre) Misc. Charges $13.68 (Shop items - yes they charge for hand cleaner) Total with Taxes - $208.42 Signed Check List provided - full accounting on the bill for all itemsCar washed, vacuumed and a thank you card. Also an offer of a ride too and from work (but I work less than a 15 minute walk away so no point). Car was ready on time - they even located the service manual and completed the tab (I forgot to dig it out of the drawer). Cheers,Cameron
"Lucy" 2006 Passion - Ruby Red - sunroof - black tridion
"NuBlu" - 2006 Pulse - Star Blue - black tridion - in need of some TLC
1994 Jeep YJ
1990 Dodge D250

#3 SMARTING

SMARTING
  • Regular Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Mercedes Benz London Ont. A service 34628 Km.Labour - 91.70Oil filter - 7.793 L 0W40 @ 9.30 = 27.90Total - 127.39 + 17.34 taxes = 145.23In at 7:30, out by 9:00, including wash and vacuum. I have been pleased everytime with the service here. At the relay they took me in right away to replace a headlight, (no charge).

#4 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

Mine hasn't been in for its first service yet, but I called the dealer (David Morris in Edmonton) to get pricing for A and B. He said the first service was about $150 plus tax, then additional A service was $250 ea. The B service is $360.I questioned why the additional A service visits werent the same as the first one. He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.This looks to be about the highest I've seen posted in any of the threads.I also called Weber Motors and spoke with someone who didn't seem to have much knowledge of the costs. He paused, sputtered, and said the A service was around $100.00, and the B service "was more than that, around $200". Not very clear.
2006 Passion Coupe - black cell, ruby red, heated seats, premium sound. Picked up July 24, 2006

#5 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

A: whenever your dealer thinks "all that extra work" probably isn't necessary...

He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.

Indeed this is what I have suspected all along: that a disappointing number of dealers skim over nearly all the 50-60 checklist items on the first (and maybe subsequent) A services in favour of just making money on the oil change. Caveat Emptor Bil :sun:

#6 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

A: whenever your dealer thinks "all that extra work" probably isn't necessary...

He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.

Indeed this is what I have suspected all along: that a disappointing number of dealers skim over nearly all the 50-60 checklist items on the first (and maybe subsequent) A services in favour of just making money on the oil change. Caveat Emptor Bil :sun:

Yes, I was very surprised to be told that. I didn't argue, but it is very clear in the maintanence book that there is no difference. I WILL NOT be using David Morris for any service unless they decide to follow the manufacturer's checklist, and get their pricing more in line with what MB thinks it should be.
2006 Passion Coupe - black cell, ruby red, heated seats, premium sound. Picked up July 24, 2006

#7 spinner

spinner
  • Regular Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

Well, thanks a lot! I used to get the A services for around $150 all taxes in, right in the heart of Toronto retail. This time it was just over $190. Labour came to 1.3 hours at $100/hr. Those numbers used to be fudged, but no longer!

#8 smartcruzin

smartcruzin
  • Regular Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:04 AM

Had my first 'A' service performed at Three Point Motors Victoria today. With taxes and levys it came to $157.52( 'A' service 84.00, oil filter 7.79, Mobil 1 36.87, oil levy .15, filter levy .50, misc supplies recycling/hazard waste removal 10.08, sales tax 18.12 & washer fluid .01. Service sheet list for all 'A-B' checks provided with nearly all 'A' service items checked off. Curiously, I mentioned to the service advisor about the additional work required for the first 'A' service only- "Check tightening torque of all bolts & nuts". I was told that they automatically do this every service but when I asked the tech I was told that they tighten things as they need it. To go around and retorque "all bolts & nuts", I was told "we would be here all day doing that". Just exactly what bolts is the manual referring to? I asked the tech if it was things like cylinder head bolts and he said "no, we rarely touch anything on the engine". I wonder if this is a separate work order that the customer would pay for on top of the regular 'A' service or maybe it's supposed to be covered for the first time as part of the $120.00- I just don't know. The importance and scheduling of this 'retorquing' I'm leaving up to TPM but I felt uneasy all day wondering if this was an important service that wasn't going to be performed according to the recommendation in the manual, no matter how broad " retorque all nuts & bolts" is. They did retorque the wheel nuts. Anyway, service was done within one hour. Tech said they put in exactly 2.7 litres of oil and gave me the rest for top up- said too much oil just blows through the turbo( I checked it 4 separate times to make sure it wasn't above the full mark- it was fine). Car washed & cleaned inside. Good to go for another 8.000.
'06 Passion ordered from MB Richmond, built 11Oct05, purchased "Keene" 03Feb06- Bay grey metallic/silver tridion, bungee grey interior, sunroof, heated seats, sound package, softouch, clock/rev counter, pollen/dust filter, locking storage drawer, cupholder, cd trays, vanity mirror, luggage cover, trunk tray, wheel locks.

#9 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

Mercedes-Benz Oakville Autohaus
Service B: $169 - 55 034 km
Accessory Belt/AirCon Belt Replacement: $139

-Iain
2006 smart fortwo cdi Nosedive.... Back up and running!
2010 Toyota Gen3 Prius Normandy (N7) - Hybrid Synergy Drive active!

#10 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

...said too much oil just blows through the turbo...

... after first getting whipped to a froth so it no longer lubricates properly and blows out your seals ... then condenses in the charge cooler and (eventually) causes total engine failure. :banghead: Why, oh why do the mechanics persist in treat this tiny, fine-tolerance piece of high-tech machinery like a leaky old Dee-troit small-block??? :steamed:

#11 burnman

burnman
  • Regular Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

I've looked at the A service list and believe if everything was done at a good pace it would take well over an hour. Things like checking the fluids, the tire inflator, lights and lug nut torque are very time consuming if done properly. I've done so many oil changes now, I've got it down to about 20 Min. I can only stress that most of these A service checks can done without very little training by a DIYer. I've said it before, I don't need a MB mechanic chargind $100+ per hour to check my lights.
2005 Jack Black Passion
Upgrades: Fog Lights, Signal lights, Cruise Control, Pwr Windows, Webasto Heater.

#12 Retired RCAF

Retired RCAF
  • Regular Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

...said too much oil just blows through the turbo...

... after first getting whipped to a froth so it no longer lubricates properly and blows out your seals ... then condenses in the charge cooler and (eventually) causes total engine failure. :banghead: Why, oh why do the mechanics persist in treat this tiny, fine-tolerance piece of high-tech machinery like a leaky old Dee-troit small-block??? :steamed:

In Winnipeg first "A" Check is $86 plus oil and filter and tax. For my first "A" check they dumped in 3 litres. I questioned it and they said all Fortwos get 3 litres. I sucked it out and they'll never change mine again. Retired RCAF
My Smart (The Grape) 2006 Ruby Red/Silver Passion Coupe, Rev Counter, Clock, Heated Cloth Seats, Sound Upgrade plays 30 Gig Of Oldies, added Mud Flaps, Pipe extensions (duel exhaust),Window Tinting, Scan Guage, Rad Screen, LED Slices, Ignition Free Windows Mod, more to come.

#13 buttercup

buttercup
  • Regular Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:14 AM

I just dropped off my car at Mercedes in Markham, Ontario and was quoted the "normal" price of $350 for a B service. They said that they were aware of the national lowering of prices but that their B price was inline.
Fireball: 2006 Black on black Pulse with expanded stereo system, luggage cover ,soft-touch and custom flames smart, cdi chrome letters, white LED lights.

#14 I M SMRT

I M SMRT
  • Regular Members
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:07 AM

Wow thats cheeky. I would have told them if they thought that was in line that you would get in line at another dealer who's prices were more in line.$360 versus what? $169? Thats way out of line in my book.S
2006 Grandstyle Fortwo #23/200

O ||||||| O 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

There are two types of pedestrians in this world. The quick and the dead.

#15 Hammer Smart

Hammer Smart
  • Regular Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:06 AM

Just some quick phone quotes in the Toronto Area:MB ThornhillA: ~$200B: ~$300MB Downtown:A: ~$165B: ~$213MB Midtown:A: ~$175B: ~$225MB: Oakville:A: ~$155B: ~$190Again, these are all phone quotes, so, mileage may very, as should your NaCl intake amount.
For my non SI friends:

Don't hate me Duck.
My Other Cars: 2002 Intrepid

#16 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

Seems like there are still many dealers who are not following the 'suggested' pricing. This makes me feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and that the dealer isn't particularly interested in building a relationship and keeping me as a customer during the life of the car. Does anyone think comments to MBCanada would do any good? I wonder how they feel about the ill will being created?

#17 Silverstreak

Silverstreak
  • Regular Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Had smart in today.....oil(Mobil 1 at $9.30), filter and all the B look abouts for $214 all in.....no air filter as I have K&N. So price wise not too bad.....have to check oil level as charged for 3l so likelyover full or they just ripped me for $3 worth of oil. LOLSmart flyer-much better price than DMFC.SS
05 Passion Cabrio
Been GREAT!

#18 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Seems like there are still many dealers who are not following the 'suggested' pricing. This makes me feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and that the dealer isn't particularly interested in building a relationship and keeping me as a customer during the life of the car.

Does anyone think comments to MBCanada would do any good? I wonder how they feel about the ill will being created?

I think we heard that MB corporate stores are following the memo because they can... they get reimbursed by smart Canada for a portion of the lost revenue.

The independents cannot take advantage of that customer loyalty strategy, so it's up to them to decide - lower their rates and take a profit hit, or keep their rates up and take a chance that you're going to go down the road for all your smart needs.

My $0.02: go down the road (or stay) to whichever store gives you the best service; that may not be the less expensive one though. But if it is, then :thumbup:

Bil :sun:

#19 buttercup

buttercup
  • Regular Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I was quoted $350 and paid $283 (with taxes). My dealer had never seen or heard of the memo (I had printed it off to show when I saw the quote). He followed up and told me that this was a "suggestion" and that in Toronto, the rate for labour is $100 an hour, so a $169 B service just wasn't possible. I am happy with their service and the cost was under the $350 quoted, so as someone wrote, you pay what you want if you like what you are getting.
Fireball: 2006 Black on black Pulse with expanded stereo system, luggage cover ,soft-touch and custom flames smart, cdi chrome letters, white LED lights.

#20 Mike T

Mike T

We pre-ordered our first smart in July 2002!

• Directors
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

I just had a Service A at TPM Victoria. It was complicated by a major wheel balance issue so I won't post the total price in fairness.....the Service A portion was about $145-150 all in, I think, and that's with Mobil 1 0W40. I got 0.3 L of oil in the third bottle, 2.7 L got the oil level to aroud 2/3 up the disptick.I read a lot here at CsC about dealers going through the motions on the service checklists. It is NOT the case at Three Point Motors and it was proven again today. While doing the "Leakeage - Major Components" check, Jeff - TPM's ace smart technician - noticed oily residue near the turbo air inlet pipe. He investigated and ended up replacing about $100 worth of parts (all in stock) under warranty. The kicker is that at the factory install on the "charge air inlet seal" was piss-poor, and the seal was not seated on one side at all - partially blocking the airstream - hence the leak. He showed the messed up seal to me, and it was not pretty.Jeff also was talking about the issue of intercoolers clogging up with oily residue. He said that when the oil is cold, it should be at or below the halfway point on the dipstick, and never above, because he suspects oil levels near maximum play a major role in excess crankcase pressure and ol vapours, and intercooler clogging.My front brake pads have about 80% left at 48,000 km, so I guess I'll have them until close to 200,000 km! :lol:

2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet, FlyingTiger map 380023_5.png
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A and Winter packages 542252_5.png
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed, other goodies 206221_5.png
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, plan to restore 201066_5.png

#21 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

Jeff also was talking about the issue of intercoolers clogging up with oily residue. He said that when the oil is cold, it should be at or below the halfway point on the dipstick, and never above, because he suspects oil levels near maximum play a major role in excess crankcase pressure and ol vapours, and intercooler clogging.

Very, very interesting... I remember not too long ago several people discounted the notion that overfilling had anything to do wtih intercooler/turbo failure...

Now I am uber paranoid! :( Not long ago I had my entire intercooler/egr/turbo replaced because of clogging.

-Iain

#22 ValgardForkbeard

ValgardForkbeard
  • Regular Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

First "A" service at 8917km (indicator reading -200) $151 at DMFC. Might have been more, but there was a note on the invoice about customer installed aftermarket air filter. (I put in a K&N about a week after I picked up the car) I was well treated, and I was given a ride to and from work, and the car was ready when it was supposed to be. While waiting for the ride, I was offered coffee. Instead of it being poured out of a pot, it was fresh made in some machine that would fit into a 1950's horror flick; whistleing, and steam jetting out everywhere. It was good coffee though, with steam frothed milk on top.MGbtw, s_mack; I gave the service guy your web site address, he may be ordering a cruise control.
Agent86 - 2006 Pulse Coupe Star Blue Metallic
- Well into my third year of smart driving
1986 Honda VFR750 - for when I want to go fast

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are

#23 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

I forgot to mention, I got a loaner car again, got to love TPM!

#24 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

I forgot to mention, I got a loaner car again, got to love TPM!

Was the loaner a smart?? :)

#25 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:03 AM

I was just about to ask. Oakville has a very strict policy of "No loaner smarts" - so you end up with a Mercedes... I would much rather have the smart. I got stuck with a CL 230 the last time and it was dreadful, you sit on the floor, can't see anything, and it's massive! I couldn't wait to get my car back. :) But yeah, I wonder why they don't give out loaner smarts (...at Oakville), they're the least expensive MB vehicle... -Iain

#26 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

I'm soon due for the second A service but I've nearly everything myself already.What's the proper procedure - records etc - in order to remain warranty compliant when you DIY?Cheers,Bil :sun:

#27 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

What's the proper procedure - records etc - in order to remain warranty compliant when you DIY?

I have been thinking about this, too. I figure a printed checklist where you can tick off what you've done would work fine - I'd also include the date and room for notes to record any findings. It would be similar to what the MB service guy uses, so I figure it would show that the work has been done.

#28 ValgardForkbeard

ValgardForkbeard
  • Regular Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

What's the proper procedure - records etc - in order to remain warranty compliant when you DIY?

I have been thinking about this, too. I figure a printed checklist where you can tick off what you've done would work fine - I'd also include the date and room for notes to record any findings. It would be similar to what the MB service guy uses, so I figure it would show that the work has been done.

Keep reciepts for oil/filter(s). Don't forget to charge yourself for "shop supplies" MG
Agent86 - 2006 Pulse Coupe Star Blue Metallic
- Well into my third year of smart driving
1986 Honda VFR750 - for when I want to go fast

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are

#29 42Kruiser

42Kruiser
  • Regular Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

Shop supplies = beer :beer2:
Once upon a time ............................
Out of the box---------05 pulse cabrio, blue/black, a/c, sound upgrade, pods, auto.
Self-inflicted mods-----led side markers, signal light relocation, interior blue led bulb, alum. suspension caps, ipod connector, Michalak spoiler, star blue grill, chrome badging, K&N filter, and Strikeline wheels.

#30 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:56 AM

Yeah. I've had three different loaners from TPM so far (5 services): - Mercedes C 230 K - fully loaded passion with sunroof - stripper pure with glass roof and softouch Yesterday I got the pure. I put $6 into it before returning the car. When I had the Benz, it needed $15!

#31 Mike T

Mike T

• Directors
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Get ahold of the service checklist that the mechanic uses at a smart centre and do ALL the checks, date and sign the sheets and hold onto them.

#32 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

I tried to get a copy of that last time I was in to Oakville and they told me they couldn't release it to the customer.-Iain

#33 SmartFlyer

SmartFlyer
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

I tried to get a copy of that last time I was in to Oakville and they told me they couldn't release it to the customer.

Since the list is in our maintenance books, it's a simple matter of photocopying or re-typing into a suitable format. I just typed out the A-Service list - here it is as a .pdf so anyone can print it...

Attached Files

#34 I M SMRT

I M SMRT
  • Regular Members
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

Actually if one were to search in the How To: section you would find a handy dandy .pdf of the A & B Service checklists..Thanks RichHelms! HERE S

#35 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

No I meant, I asked them for the checklist because I wanted to make sure they did everything, and then they told me they couldn't release it to the customer.-Iain

#36 bilgladstone

bilgladstone

• Regular Members
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

No I meant, I asked them for the checklist because I wanted to make sure they did everything, and then they told me they couldn't release it to the customer. -Iain

Translation: Bob [to Doug] - "He wants a copy of the checklist..." Doug - "What checklist is that, eh?" Bob - "Take off, hoser! Didn't you do a checklist?" Doug - "Two-four: CHECK! Good day, eh?" Bob [to Duck] - "We don't release those to customers, eh?"

#37 SCHMART

SCHMART
  • Global Moderators*
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

seems you should be entitled to a copy of the checklist.....here, a patient is entitled to a copy of any office notes
Robert-Scratch Black, 2005 ZAP-G&K Euro-conversion cabrio
"The best things in life, are not things."
https://www.facebook.com/robert.mcbride.39

#38 FUD-140

FUD-140
  • Regular Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

Lone Star Calgary B service (32000) Km paid today 344,-$ incl tax
Holger 403-470 7073 or holgerbenjes@gmail.com

#39 I M SMRT

I M SMRT
  • Regular Members
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

Ahhh. There is no reason....if they actually filled one....that they shouldnt give you a copy. TPM hands you a copy without asking along with your ionvoice then goes through it with you. Then you get to walk out to your clean car with a nice thank you note on the dash.S

#40 Duck

Duck

Crazy Quacker

• Regular Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

I wonder what my driving time to TPM is. I'm geting very fed up with Ontario dealers!-Iain

#41 SC05

SC05
  • New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hi,I've been phoning around to decide which MB I'm going to take my smart for the B service. This is the result:West Broadway: 1 day; about $200Richmond: 3 hours; $300North Vancouver: never return my callI guess I'll go to West Broadway then...I'll post again to report the actual cost.Welcome any recommedations :)

#42 Silverstreak

Silverstreak
  • Regular Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi SCO5You might want to get their b service quote in writing-they were $214 on my a service-nothing special and used non spec oil to boot. Also specify the oil u want.G'luck.SS
05 Passion Cabrio
Been GREAT!

#43 Lorne

Lorne
  • Regular Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

My car is just due for it's first A service. I was quoted $120 plus tax by O'Regans MB in Halifax.Lorne
________
2006 Phat Red + Silver Passion Coupe. Heated seats, sound upgrage, pods, pollen filter, locking drawer, short rearview mirror post.
My Other Car: 2003 Jetti TDI Wagon

#44 smartzuuk

smartzuuk

Secretary, CsC Board of Directors

• Directors
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

I've been phoning around to decide which MB I'm going to take my smart for the B service. This is the result:

West Broadway: 1 day; about $200
Richmond: 3 hours; $300
North Vancouver: never return my call

I guess I'll go to West Broadway then...I'll post again to report the actual cost.

Welcome any recommedations :)

www.flyingtiger.ca

Eddy 'aht' flyingtiger 'doht' ca

Richmond. Not all day. Lower than $200
I once was found, but now I'm lost.

#45 ged

ged
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

Had the first B check today at O'Regan's in Halifax at a total cost of $227.87 which also included an air filter and taxes. They always give a free car wash.
05 passion cabrio white/silver

#46 ruby1000

ruby1000
  • Regular Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

Had my A service 8000 km done today at Lone Star in Winnipeg. $158.00 and completed in about 2 hours. Free shuttle service to and from the office. Complimentary carwash and provided a copy of the checklist along with invoice. No problems Ruby1000

#47 PEIsmart

PEIsmart
  • New Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Had the first B check today at O'Regan's in Halifax at a total cost of $227.87 which also included an air filter and taxes. They always give a free car wash.

Ged

Was that the cabin air filter? If so, did they have it in stock or did you have to order it ahead of the service?

hb

#48 Awesys

Awesys
  • Administrators
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

First A Service at 9016km - Weber Motors. Labor: $106.80 Parts (air filter): $7.79 Total: $114.59 With GST, should be $121.47.
-Car picked up on May 26, 2006-
jack black bodypanels / silver tridion / heated seats / paddle shifters

#49 ged

ged
  • Regular Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:02 AM

PEI Smart I assume it was an engine air filter but I never asked. Its part number is Q0004591V001000000 and cost 18.91 and must have been in stock.
05 passion cabrio white/silver

#50 Fred J

Fred J
  • Regular Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:18 AM

First A Service at 9016km - Weber Motors.

Labor: $106.80
Parts (air filter): $7.79
Total: $114.59

With GST, should be $121.47.

What about the cost of the oil?

$7.79 would be the oil filter.
Air filter, due at B, is $18 - $20.

Sounds like maybe you got lucky, as they didn't price your work order correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users