Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Used Smart ForTwo engine common problems
Guest_dee001_*
post Jan 30 2007 - 04:11 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hello.
I am a Smart ForTwo lover and a new to this forum.
I do not own a Smart yet, but in the begining I would like to buy a used one.
I have a serious question.
I am located in Greece, Europe, and here a brand new Smart ForTwo costs around 10-12,000 euros.
However, you can find a used one aged 1 to 6 years from 3000 up to 6000 euros.
Many people told me that these cars, although they have an efficient economic engine and good drive quality on the road, after a certain amount of mileage, their egine presents some sort of damage, cannot function properly anymore, and that is why the used ones are available in such low prices. To repair them you need to change the engine, so you are adviced to buy a brand new instead.
Is this true?
I cannot believe this, as I trust the brand very much, and I am looking forward to buy a used Smart ForTwo.
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smart142
post Jan 30 2007 - 05:26 AM
Post #2

Group: Global Moderators*
Member No.: 35

Welcome to the club!
We have had the smart here for a little over 2 years so there are not huge numbers of used ones on the market.
All the Canadian smarts are diesel and these seem to be a robust engine.
However we have had a number of turbo failures, probably because we have an inferior fuel when compared to Europe.
I would recommend that you look for a used cdi. Good luck!

--------------------
Glenn.
2005 Passion coupe Bay grey-silver ''Gina'' (deposit 1Nov02,delivered13Dec04)paddle shifters/oem cruise/remap/old skool clock&tach/heated black leather seats/sound&6CD/locking drawer/pollen filter/cupholder/cd holders.Mods tinting/euro turn signal#1/s mann air scoop,skirts/brabus grill/alum fuel cap/spangenburg pedals&handbrake, leather gaiter/gorilla alarm/alum ignition ring/custom leather armrest/custom carpet/alum drivers footrest/key mod/led side markers /blue led interiorlight/''smart''raised letters/rear brake led's/carbonfibre door pulls/silver front spoiler/wiper arm mod/rear marker led/oil pan heater/scan gauge/Eibach springs/vortex generators/window vents/headrest speakers/euro tail lights/Michalak fogs

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Jan 30 2007 - 07:44 AM
Post #3

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Group: Directors
Member No.: 5

Do not buy a 600 cc petrol version; those engines are definitely fragile and they are what gave the smart its reputation for weak engines. The turbos are prone to failure, and one of the three cylinders seems to lose compression easily, usually following the cracking of the exhaust manifold and consequent leaning out of the fuel mixture on one of the cylinders.

The 700 cc petrol version is a lot more robust, from the 2003 model year (cars with ESP) until the present time.

The diesel engine is the only one that is sold in Canada, and it is by far the most reliable fortwo engine.

When buying any used car, there remains risk, depending upon how the previous owner treated the car. Two things to watch for are oil level (never more than half full is best) and whether the driver lets the car idle for ~30 s after driving, which would protect the turbocharger.

If I were buying, I would buy a new cdi.

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post
smarter
post Jan 30 2007 - 12:40 PM
Post #4

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 16

(Mike T)
Two things to watch for are oil level (never more than half full is best)

Uh, say what? Care to clarify, Mike?

--------------------
Ich bin ein Smarter!

2005 Jack Black/Black/Grey Fortwo Pure Coupe SMARTER
Added: Sportline alloy wheels, MDC spare tire holder, smart Seatback Bag, smart cupholder, Alien Eyeballs(Tach & Clock), MDC front flaps, MDC Bordcomputer, MDC Cruise Control

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Jan 30 2007 - 12:42 PM
Post #5

Cars with blown EGR valves, blocked intercoolers and blown turbos often have had oil levels at or above the "full" mark. TPM's ace smart mechanic, Jeff, NEVER fills them to more than halfway up the stick, for that reason.

--------------------
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

+Quote Post
smarter
post Jan 30 2007 - 03:20 PM
Post #6

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 16

So you are saying half way down the dipstick marks (0.5L) not 1.4L total wink.gif

Slightly underfilled, not half full, to anybody reading it quickly. smirk.gif

--------------------
Ich bin ein Smarter!

2005 Jack Black/Black/Grey Fortwo Pure Coupe SMARTER
Added: Sportline alloy wheels, MDC spare tire holder, smart Seatback Bag, smart cupholder, Alien Eyeballs(Tach & Clock), MDC front flaps, MDC Bordcomputer, MDC Cruise Control

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

+Quote Post
Mike T
post Jan 30 2007 - 06:06 PM
Post #7

Yeah half full on the stick, smartie pants wink.gif

--------------------
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Apr 24 2014 - 02:59 AM