Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replacing head/tail light bulbs.
Guest_lord_galathon_*
post May 24 2007 - 08:08 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hello, total newb here.

My first question:

Every time my mom burns a lamp on her 2005 Smart ForTwo Pure Cabrio (which is quite often, every other month or so) the local MB dealer charges her over 60$ to change it.

1-shouldn't the light bulbs be under warranty? They were on my 2003 Tiburon and my Wife's 2005 Elantra.
2-60$ to replace a 5$ bulb? dunno.gif

3-can I do it myself or is a special tool required?

Thanks in advance and thanks for welcoming me on your forum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhawel
post May 24 2007 - 08:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Regular Members
Member No.: 278

Even the dealer nearest me, that i don't like, will take you while you wait, and charges only a few bucks more than the bulb costs in Canadian tire. I think the bill was $26 for one. The first time i went to ask for just a bulb it was after my warranty was up, 80 500 km or so, and they didn't even charge me at all...

I do beleive it's up to the dealer wheather or not they will do the bulbs under warranty, and it's probably up to them what they charge as well... I'm sure the dealer near me has someone who can manage to get their arm in there, to avoid taking the whole front end off. The $60 for one bulb kinda makes sense in that it's one half hour labour, and the cost of the bulb (1 hr = $95 around here). To do both at the same time should save you money, cause the labour wouldn't go up any...

Mike

--------------------
My Smart: 2005 Passion Cabrio, Silver/Silver, UPSolute 60HP/105ft.lbs remap, K&N, Wiper Washer mod, Clock and Tach, upgraded J/L Audio & Focal sound system, turn signals moved to headlights, LED sidemarkers with blink function - 101000 km (credit goes to Duck for the Avatar Photo)
4.5 L/100km

My 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler - 427 000 km
12 L/100km

My 1993 Volvo 960 I6 - 351 000km
10.5 L/100km

+Quote Post
bilgladstone
post May 24 2007 - 09:02 AM
Post #3

This is my smart. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Member No.: 95

Your mom is getting ripped off.

There was a recent smart announcement that headlight bulbs are to be replaced free under warranty during the 20,000km adjustment period. In fact, it may have been longer than that - I don't recall exactly.

If the car is past that... mileage... she is still being ripped off. A new bulb can cost around $17 and it takes 10 minutes to replace it yourself once you get the knack. So quickly, that most dealers will sell you a bulb and install it for free while you wait.

Additionally, if the bulbs are burning out every couple of months, it is a strong indication that the stealership mechanics are not installing them correctly - most likely touching the glass on the bulbs whilst putting them in.

Search the how-tos in here for illustrated instructions and do it for her, cuz!

Bil sun.gif

--------------------
Join more than 210 smarties on the map! Where are you? CLICK HERE to add your marker!
::
[

+Quote Post
Mike T
post May 24 2007 - 11:36 AM
Post #4

Ordered our first smart in 2002!

Group: Directors
Member No.: 5

It's a DIY even for those with moderately large forearms (who are not averse to a little flesh compression). I have burnt out "only" two bulbs in 70,000 km and 30 months.

--------------------
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet 450 B-remap
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, 203A pkg, Winter pkg.
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection

+Quote Post
Duck
post May 24 2007 - 12:59 PM
Post #5

Crazy Quacker

Member No.: 201

I have gone through at least 10 now in 115 000 km of (admitedly hard) driving. This photo might help you with the tricky clip at the back of the bulb:

I'm so good/used to replacing bulbs I just do them in the Canadian Tire parking lot in < 2 minutes... but it's sad I have got that good at it!!

-Iain

--------------------
2006 smart fortwo cdi Nosedive.... Back up and running!
2010 Toyota Gen3 Prius Normandy (N7) - Hybrid Synergy Drive active!

+Quote Post
Guest_lord_galathon_*
post May 25 2007 - 07:32 AM
Post #6

Guests

Thanks for the prompt answers; So I take it that they're available at Canadian Tire. Are they in the directory they usually keep near the bulbs or are they a specific type?

Also the photo you show mr.Duck is taken from outside the car or inside? Basically, being a car with no hood, how does one access the rear of the lamp???

Thanks.

+Quote Post
ARTZ
post May 25 2007 - 08:20 AM
Post #7

Go Green... stream green!!!

Member No.: 80

To Change the headlights.

To change the taillights.

These are from Evilution's website from the UK. He has a great number of How-To's on his website. He also posts quite a bit on these fourms.

--------------------
ARTZ 2006 with Euro Panels and a X-Gauge

+Quote Post
I M SMRT
post May 25 2007 - 06:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 66

The low beam bulbs are H7

The high beam bulbs are H1

They are standard bulbs. I suggest buying the cheaper ones from CT or even the dealer.....before considering getting "good" bulbs. At least until you decide whether the burn outs are flukes from improper installations or if there is something else burning the bulbs so quickly. Make sure you dont touch the bulbs with bare hands...the oil from your skin will shorten the life.

--------------------
2006 Grandstyle Fortwo #23/200

O ||||||| O 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

There are two types of pedestrians in this world. The quick and the dead.

+Quote Post
ARTZ
post May 26 2007 - 11:19 AM
Post #9

Go Green... stream green!!!

Member No.: 80

18 months, 40,000km and only one dead low beam light. I replaced both lights with the GE Night Hawks and they work great.

--------------------
ARTZ 2006 with Euro Panels and a X-Gauge

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Jul 30 2014 - 11:23 PM