Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Motor Removal
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Operation and Maintenance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
newfy_guy
On my way back from the relay my wipers decided to crap out on me. I thought I had blown a fuse but on closer inspection I found that the wiper motor seemed to be turning but the linkage wasn't moving. So now I have the front panel off the car but not sure how to get the wiper motor out. Just wondering if anyone has done this before. I checked on Evilution website but no luck. Any suggestions anyone?

Lorne
The Rog Man
QUOTE (newfy_guy)
On my way back from the relay my wipers decided to crap out on me. I thought I had blown a fuse but on closer inspection I found that the wiper motor seemed to be turning but the linkage wasn't moving. So now I have the front panel off the car but not sure how to get the wiper motor out. Just wondering if anyone has done this before. I checked on Evilution website but no luck. Any suggestions anyone?

Lorne

Hopefully just the nut holding the linkage in place came off. If the motor is turning that should be a good sign.
????
I know to do the vertical wiper mod that nut has to be loosened in order to bang the plate off the motor shaft to swing the wipers vertical. If you look up the vertical wiper mod on eviloutions site it should indicate where sedd nut is located. Sorry i can't be more help. When the wiper mod was done to my car it was someone else doing the work while i just watched.
newfy_guy
Thanks
I looked at the wiper mod on evilution, but I think I need to go deeper, maybe replace the motor. The wiper motor attaches to some sort of gear box (probably comes as part of the motor) from which a shaft extends and this shaft is where the said "nut" for the wiper mod is located. Unfortunately my protruding shaft does not turn when the wiper stops. However I can hear the wiper motor spinning. If I just pull a little on the linkage, the wiper moves again untill it gets to the same position and stops again.
The Rog Man
Well hopefully it is something in expensive to solve. best of luck .
Dang
PM Sent!

Dang
newfy_guy
Well I finally got it off. Once you remove the front panel and the cross member, then you can "easily" get your hands and a 10mm wrench in there and loosen the three bolts. Anyway I got it out and I think its screwed. There appears to be burn marks on the outer plastic casing where the plugs connects and I think water may have gotten inside and fowled up the gears. Time for a new one. Thanks for your help guys!
newfy_guy
Does anyone know if the rear wiper motor is the same as the front?? I'm going to be a couple weeks probably waiting for the new one and I was just wondering...
herbie
Hi Lorne,

Sorry to hear about your wiper motor going gone. Maybe you should set up a set of bicycle pedals to operate your wipes while you wait for parts. You know the kind we talked about at the BBQ last Sunday...;-)
newfy_guy
He, he, he, thats a great idea Gil! I was thinking I would just place the wipers in the vertical park position and treat the windshield with Rainx until I can get a new one. But I like your idea better. I think I will put the peddles on jeanette's side so she can do some work for a change!!
I M SMRT
I have vertical wipers and Rain-x...I rarely turn the wipers on anymore...and we are known to get some good wet rain here...
herbie
QUOTE (newfy_guy)
He, he, he, thats a great idea Gil! I was thinking I would just place the wipers in the vertical park position and treat the windshield with Rainx until I can get a new one. But I like your idea better. I think I will put the peddles on jeanette's side so she can do some work for a change!!

:-) yup I know what you mean. It seems our wifes are always on vacation. 2 wks at xmas, 1 wk at easter and then 8 wks in the summer...;-)
herbie
Hey hey Lorne,

Look hat I found...
newfy_guy
QUOTE (herbie)
QUOTE (newfy_guy)

:-) yup I know what you mean. It seems our wifes are always on vacation. 2 wks at xmas, 1 wk at easter and then 8 wks in the summer...;-)

Hey Gil
Don't forget snow days!! and that is a cool pic!
rrrucke
Herbie,
Damn man....who would strip a smart to put in a bike peddle? My God is anything sacred!!

Regina
herbie
No no no it's not striped, that's the overdrive...;-)
Retired RCAF
newfy guy, sorry to hear about your wiper problem but all joking aside is did see a lady pull into my Dads gas station one day and she had string tied to the wiper arms which she operated by hand on the inside. Must have looked silly but I guess it was effective I guess.

Retired RCAF
newfy_guy
QUOTE (Retired RCAF)
newfy guy, sorry to hear about your wiper problem but all joking aside is did see a lady pull into my Dads gas station one day and she had string tied to the wiper arms which she operated by hand on the inside. Must have looked silly but I guess it was effective I guess.

Retired RCAF

Yeah I thought of that, I guess it would work but you would have to keep the windows down a little to operate the strings and I might get a little wet. All joking aside, I priced this baby at the MB dealer today and it is $300.00! Ouch! Does anyone know if there is another model that will fit and maybe a little cheaper. I am going to bring to a parts place and see if they can match it up.
herbie
Hi Lorne,

That's an expensive little bugger. Can you find a brand name on the part? You might be able to locate another supplier other than the dealer. I wonder if there are generic wiper motors available out there? Good luck...
ValgardForkbeard
Just to put things in perspective, when I replace the wiper motor on a plymouth voyager a few years back, it was around $110, and that was from a parts store, not the dealer.

Take the motor into someplace like Napa, and they may be able to cross reference it. There have also been references to a couple of salvage yards having smarts, maybe one of the local yards can do a parts search for you.

MG
rrrucke
Newfy Guy,
How about shopping around in the salvage yards for a possible damaged smart? You might get lucky and find a cheap one.

Good luck,
Regina
Speedie
If it is just the motor - take it to a local auto electric rebuild shop - they can repair most issues if it is other wise in good shape. Usually they return it in better than new shape (heavier wire etc.). Gears are usually plastic so unless it blew apart they might be able to help ya'.

Cheers,
Cameron
newfy_guy
A little good news for any smarties with wiper motor problems like me. I checked around the auto salvage yards with no luck finding a replacement, most guys wouldn't even bother looking around, "Smart car... we got nothing to fit that!". One guy tells me to drop by Princess Auto and have a look. So I do and low and behold! there was a whole bin of wiper motors that are almost identical to the Valeo thats on our smarts. I picked one up for $20.00 (they were actually $40.00 but on sale for half price believe it or not!) Anyway I haven't fitted it on the car yet but will do so this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out.

P.S. the motor even has the same 5 pin connector!! doublethumb.gif
42Kruiser
Lorne pick me up a lotto ticket will ya. biglaugh.gif
herbie
QUOTE (42Kruiser)
Lorne pick me up a lotto ticket will ya. biglaugh.gif

Hey hey same here Lorne,

If you look up the Valeo web site and follow the links you will find wiper motors for practically a few dollars compared to retail...

You are THE MAN! :-)
newfy_guy
Ok, I installed the new Princess Auto wiper motor today, and it was a success! Only problem I encountered is the old wiper motor shaft is 1/8" longer then the new one, so when I installed it first, the motor would turn only until the linkage hit the mounting bolt. So I removed it again and bent the linkage slightly so it would clear the bolt heads and voila! It's been pouring rain here all day so I gave it a good road test and no problem. I'm heading into Princess Auto monday to pick up another, just in case, for $20.00 I can't go wrong.
Retired RCAF
newfy_guy if I could make a suggestion,

I use rain X in my windshield and on the highway never use my wipers and in the city very rarely.

Congratulations on your great find. We have a Princess here and they do have some good stuff. Almost wish I lived on a farm.

Retired RCAF
The Rog Man
QUOTE (newfy_guy)
Ok, I installed the new Princess Auto wiper motor today, and it was a success! Only problem I encountered is the old wiper motor shaft is 1/8" longer then the new one, so when I installed it first, the motor would turn only until the linkage hit the mounting bolt. So I removed it again and bent the linkage slightly so it would clear the bolt heads and voila! It's been pouring rain here all day so I gave it a good road test and no problem. I'm heading into Princess Auto monday to pick up another, just in case, for $20.00 I can't go wrong.

I don't suppose you can take a quality foto of the defective motor and post it? for 20 bukks i mite just wanna go pick one up and put it on a shelf for a rainy day...uh no pun intended. doublethumb.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.