Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low Tire Pressure - 451
Club smart Car > Regional Forums > Ottawa, Toronto and The Rest of Ontario
VRsyncro
I know that Caribou and I have recently had some issues with our Continental tires on the 451.

The issue relates to tire pressure and the ability for the tire to retain air. In my case, the front passenger side tire was the culprit, while in Caribou's case, it was one of her rear tires.

I'd like to see if other 451 owners in the Ottawa region are having similar issues.

Please post in this thread if you've had any similar issues.

Cheers,
Mike
Caribou
Both of my rear tires, at different times in the same day. Booooo!

-Sue
Tan
I'm hoping it's not a real problem, but have noticed recently my TPMS light is on. My tires seem to be losing air but nothing drastic yet.
VRsyncro
QUOTE (Tan @ Nov 21 2008 - 10:13 AM) *
I'm hoping it's not a real problem, but have noticed recently my TPMS light is on. My tires seem to be losing air but nothing drastic yet.

I'd keep an eye on that.

My first light happened about two months ago, then last month, then last week, then yesterday, then today smile.gif

If there is an issue the involves more than one Smartie this should be addressed as a group, to illustrate that we aren't one off crazies!!

rolleyes.gif
Snow_Dogs
For the breif period that I had my 451, my TPMS light came on it was due to bent needle valves in the tires.
This happened within the first week of ownership, though.
Caribou
QUOTE (VRsyncro @ Nov 21 2008 - 08:09 AM) *
I'd keep an eye on that.

Yeah, I'd take a look at the tires each time you drive off, and listen for that tell-tale whap-whap-whap of a flat.
J&J
My light went on 3 days after the snows were installed. The rear pressure was 29 psi both sides and it was -4 outside. I assume when the dealer installed them they did it inside with a room temperature of +70ish. I added some air (to 34 psi) and have not have a problem since.

The car rode really well with 29-30 psi in the rear tires and the same in the fronts - no problems with cross winds or passing trucks! I will now be playing with the tire pressures to find the best ballance front/back combo - it is not the pressures posted on the door!
J&J
QUOTE (J&J @ Nov 21 2008 - 12:03 PM) *
My light went on 3 days after the snows were installed. The rear pressure was 29 psi both sides and it was -4 outside. I assume when the dealer installed them they did it inside with a room temperature of +70ish. I added some air (to 34 psi) and have not have a problem since.

The car rode really well with 29-30 psi in the rear tires and the same in the fronts - no problems with cross winds or passing trucks! I will now be playing with the tire pressures to find the best ballance front/back combo - it is not the pressures posted on the door!

So I thought while I had the compressor out I would check the pressure in my other vehicles - they don't have TPMS and the tires looked OK but why not check, I hadn't checked them since September.

My astrovan normally has 34 psi - today had 27psi all around
My focus normally has 32 psi (low profile tires) - today had 22.5 all around!

So it is not just the smart tires - it is all tires - especiallly low profile tires. If you havn't checked the pressure in your tires in cold weather, you certainly should - all your tires.

Now that ny hands have warmed up, I am out to add more air.
smart65
I use the rule of thumb that tire pressure changes by 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature variation. Using this rule, if your tire pressures were correct at 70F, they would be 7 psi low at 0F. This, of course, doesn't take into account any leakage. Remember also, that the recommended pressures are for COLD conditions; i.e. the vehicle should have been parked for a couple of hours, so as to attain the temperature of the surrounding air.
VRsyncro
Issue ended up being a faulty TPMS in the Front Passenger Side Rim.

This is an instance where taking it to the dealership and having them diagnose the issue really made life easier. TPMS was replaced under warranty.

For those of you in the Ottawa region that are experiencing similar issues with your 451 then I suggest you bring it to the dealership rather than your local tire guy. The dealership can track these issues and the Smart brand can decide whether further action is required (i.e. If this is a common issue then perhaps there is a need for a 451 Recall for faulty TPMS hypothetically).

Anyhow, I am happy that the problem has been resolved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.