Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optional Netting for the trunk
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Modifications and Performance: 451 Model, 2008 and newer, gasoline
SheepRock
I bought the netting package for the trunk from DMFC the other day for my '08... the thing comes with a side pocket net for the left hand side cuppy holeish thing and a larger net with screws so you can mount it on the floor of the trunk - the idea being to put small items under it so they wont fly all over the place while you drive.

For what I do with this car i felt it was actually worth the $88 (omg markup) instead of trying to make my own system of velcro and foam or some other nonsense.

Anyway, im hoping someone else got suckered into buying this thing so that I don't feel so stupid. The side net has no physical way to mount short of gouging holes yourself into the side, and the larger net requires a professional smart install - or so the manual for installation says, because it tells you that and not how to do it yourself, like every other manual on the planet does.

Ima gonna take it back next week and whine as loudly as possible for a refund, but I'd rather keep it. Anyone know how these things mount, in particular the mini left side pocket? There's just no way I can justify paying more for simple netting in my car, I wouldn't sleep at night knowing I had to pay a "professional" to install the damn thing.
denisjolicoeur
QUOTE (SheepRock @ Dec 14 2008 - 02:34 PM) *
I bought the netting package for the trunk from DMFC the other day for my '08... the thing comes with a side pocket net for the left hand side cuppy holeish thing and a larger net with screws so you can mount it on the floor of the trunk - the idea being to put small items under it so they wont fly all over the place while you drive.

For what I do with this car i felt it was actually worth the $88 (omg markup) instead of trying to make my own system of velcro and foam or some other nonsense.

Anyway, im hoping someone else got suckered into buying this thing so that I don't feel so stupid. The side net has no physical way to mount short of gouging holes yourself into the side, and the larger net requires a professional smart install - or so the manual for installation says, because it tells you that and not how to do it yourself, like every other manual on the planet does.

Ima gonna take it back next week and whine as loudly as possible for a refund, but I'd rather keep it. Anyone know how these things mount, in particular the mini left side pocket? There's just no way I can justify paying more for simple netting in my car, I wouldn't sleep at night knowing I had to pay a "professional" to install the damn thing.

I've got the same set and I'm very happy with it. For the side net, you don't have to gouge holes at all, simply wrap the net over the removed panel and clip the wire onto the back side to hold the net down. (I forget, you may have to feed the net through the wire first.) There's already clips in the back side of the panel made to accept the wire. Very clean simple install.

The tougher part was the floor net. If you lift the carpet, you can see the four indents in the foam backing where you simply need to punch holes to put the bolts through. Remove the clip on the driver's side and the bolted-in child seat ancher on the passenger side for easier access the the underside of the carpet. I, personally, was afraid that the small washer was going to go through the foam & carpet and the nut & bolt would have nothing to hang onto so I found larger washers to securely mount the rings/clips into the carpet.
Mike T
FWIW I bought a rear seatback net at TPM's Garage sale for $5 - for the B Class. Yes, 500 cents. Regular price was about $60. Those smart nets sure are EXPENSIVE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.