Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xtra Weight
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Operation and Maintenance: 451 Model, 2008 and newer, gasoline
Loveyorks
Hi, I don't post often but do come and read quite a bit. I've been having difficulties this winter staying on the road, I find I slip and slide a lot in the snow and generally not moving very fast when there is a bit of snow on the ground ohmy.gif . My winter tires are still OK from what I can see.

So my question is, can I put some extra weight in the back to give me more grip?. Will it help any or will I be destableizing the weight and not have enough in front. Or should I just bite the bullet and get some new winter tires (this would be my third winter with the current tires). sad.gif

Thanks for the help.
Huronlad
It is time for some new winter tires.
Loveyorks
QUOTE (Huronlad @ Dec 15 2009 - 08:20 AM) *
It is time for some new winter tires.

Drat!! I was hoping for another answer!! rolleyes.gif
pinhead19
QUOTE (Loveyorks @ Dec 15 2009 - 09:19 AM) *
Drat!! I was hoping for another answer!! rolleyes.gif

It's time to move away from snow!
MightyMouseTech
QUOTE (Loveyorks @ Dec 15 2009 - 08:11 AM) *
My winter tires are still OK from what I can see.

Define "OK". What is the actual tread measurement? 4mm remaining on a winter tire is considered 100% worn.
Francesco
Yeah, that's the trouble with winter tires in a big eastern city like Montreal. You need them often enough because of cold temperatures and snowfalls, but then the roads are plowed, bare and dry, and the tires wear away in short order. I have two winters on my Conti Winters Contacts -- maybe 17,000 Km on them -- and they are almost kaput.
Loveyorks
QUOTE (pinhead19 @ Dec 15 2009 - 10:12 AM) *
It's time to move away from snow!

Haha - now that's a suggestion I like -
lebikerboy
We had a little snow but it's gone with the rain and the temps have gone up of course. I hope it stays wet...
smart142
QUOTE (Loveyorks @ Dec 15 2009 - 08:11 AM) *
My winter tires are still OK from what I can see.

I bet the inner aspect of the tires are worn right down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.