Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: changing the audio deck?
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Modifications and Performance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
SMN
hi there,

yesterday I bought my very first car (of my own - I used to drive a smart as a company vehicle a year or so ago), a used 2006 smart (would never get a non-diesel) biggrin.gif I'm so excited, I almost peed my pants.

I'm looking to change the audio deck. I went to future shop and best buy. best buy told me it wasn't even possible unless it was a custom job which could cost up to $200 extra for the bracket, and future shop told me it was $18 extra, but I'm pretty confused, as best buy told me the future shop guy was absolutely in the wrong.

my question is, has anyone done this, and if so, where did you take it and what did it cost?
if you did it yourself, how did you go about it? I'm researching this a little bit.

I just want an ipod control deck. ideally I'd like to be able to control the ipod from the deck, but since it's significantly cheaper, I'd be satisfied with getting one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMART-CAR-42-450-IPO...=item1c16775a73

but I want to be sure my current deck (manufacturer's) would be compatible, as some sites have said only selected ones are.

anyone with experience with this sort of stuff? smile.gif

thanks!
FlossyTheSmart
The guy at best buy is a buffoon. A fascia adapter can be purchased from the UK here (There might be a closer source for them, IDK).

Any stereo should be compatible. The stereo should come with a wiring harness. Once you have that, all you need to do is start chopping wires (Preferably more carefully than with a verb like chopping) from the harness behind the stock stereo. The wiring layout for the stock stereo can be found on Evilution HERE. Your stereo should come with one too. After that, it's just a matter of matching the words on the wiring layouts and connecting the wires.

I did it myself 2 years ago now(?). It was my first time, and took no more than 2 hours (Messing around with wiring layouts, trying to figure things out. The December cold probably slowed me down a bit too).

Evilution has a write-up on swapping it out too. HERE
Speedie
Apparently the VW adaptor is a plug in fit for the cable - and is pretty common.

The fascia plate is also available from Asia - if they dont' have them in Europe. The slot is a standard DIN so the radio will fit but you need the fascia to make it look tidy.

s-smart.com

Cheers,
Cameron
Cacarella
I did this a month or so ago.

Bought the stereo Fascia on ebay (from a UK seller) for about $20.00.
Then I had to buy an antennae adapter as the Smart stereo uses a European
style connection. I went to a local stereo Installer and he sold me a VW antennae
adapter for $10. The actual installation only took me about an hour.

I definitely do not recommend the Future shop or Best Buy, I brought my car there and
they couldn't even figure out the antennae adapter issue.
SMN
thanks guys biggrin.gif

so for the cost and hassle I think it would be easier to just get that cord I linked to on ebay.

my question is, do I really need these removal keys to get the deck off so I can plug it in the back? (mentioned here: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=172)
because I definitely do not have it, I bought the car used. does anyone have them I could borrow? will happily trade help for beer, coffee, food. you pick.

and I'm not sure if anyone would know, but how do I switch to the ipod when I'm trying to listen to it?
I have this deck: http://www.evilution.co.uk/311
and there is no aux button. I'm thinking my deck may not be compatible?
Norm Roy
Hi, I have the same unit. The CD button becomes the AUX button when no CD is in the unit & you have the cable plugged into the back of the unit and into your ipod.
To remove the radio unit, find a small allen key that just fits the holes. push the allen key into the left or right bottom hole and gently move it slightly sideways as you pull that side of the radio towards you. Once that side releases, repeat on the bottom hole on the opposite side. The radio should just pull out.

Norm

QUOTE (SMN @ Oct 24 2010 - 10:28 PM) *
thanks guys biggrin.gif

so for the cost and hassle I think it would be easier to just get that cord I linked to on ebay.

my question is, do I really need these removal keys to get the deck off so I can plug it in the back? (mentioned here: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=172)
because I definitely do not have it, I bought the car used. does anyone have them I could borrow? will happily trade help for beer, coffee, food. you pick.

and I'm not sure if anyone would know, but how do I switch to the ipod when I'm trying to listen to it?
I have this deck: http://www.evilution.co.uk/311
and there is no aux button. I'm thinking my deck may not be compatible?
FlossyTheSmart
Also, if you have a CD in, pressing the CD button again will toggle to the AUX mode.

As for the keys, as Norm said, an allen key, or anything that fits, into the bottom hole will unlock that side. I have a set of the keys that you could borrow though, if you don't have luck with something like a coat hanger.
Cacarella
To remove the original unit I cut two lengths of coat hanger and pushed both into the
bottom holes at the same time. A little wiggling and it will come out easily.
You don't need to put anything in the top holes as the locking mechanism is on the
bottom only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.