Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 450- can you put rear tires on the front or atleast buy something wider
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Modifications and Performance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
FinallyGotOne
I want wider front tires out of a concern for safety and because I think it would look cool. I am wondering if you can just bolt on a pair of rear tires but I know there are wheel well and inner rim tolerances for your tie rod and stuff. I am then curious if they make wider aftermarket tires and rims for the 450 and if there are any apparent issues with changing the manufacturers design in regards to wheel base and size.
MightyMouseTech
QUOTE (FinallyGotOne @ Nov 25 2010 - 02:03 PM) *
I want wider front tires out of a concern for safety and because I think it would look cool. I am wondering if you can just bolt on a pair of rear tires but I know there are wheel well and inner rim tolerances for your tie rod and stuff. I am then curious if they make wider aftermarket tires and rims for the 450 and if there are any apparent issues with changing the manufacturers design in regards to wheel base and size.

No, rear rims will not fit on the front, unless you have the backside machined 15 mm off.

Or:

www.shopflyingtiger.ca
Huronlad
On a 450 the rears can not be moved to the front. There are options for wider front wheels, Roadster steel, Brabus and Coreline alloys. On the factory front wheels you could go up to a 155/60 tire.

Here is a list of all smart brand wheels.
FinallyGotOne
Thanks for the help guys
Mike T
I sould stay away from machining meat off rear alloys because who knows if the remaining metal would hold up.

You forgot to mention my favourite, strikelines.
Huronlad
I'm more partial to the trilines, might get a set one of these days.
PrairieBoy
Go to 'flying tiger.ca'.
There are various choices of rims/tires that can be installed on your diesel 450 smart.
Enjoy!
FinallyGotOne
QUOTE (PrairieBoy @ Nov 25 2010 - 04:16 PM) *
Go to 'flying tiger.ca'.
There are various choices of rims/tires that can be installed on your diesel 450 smart.
Enjoy!

Thank the Lord for web sites and online stores. Guys I walk into an aftermarket rim store and mention my Smart car and its like I asked to walk on the moon. The best is when you walk into a parts store like partssource and ask for an oil filter or how much oil you need to buy. They hop on the computer then look at you with a blank look. They have nothing. They are lucky if they have smart listed as a make of car hahahaha
fordnut71
i have the Roadster steelies on mine. put the rear tire to the front an bought 195 for the rears.
summit racing is now starting to carry some stuff for the 450.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.