Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Step 1 modifying
Club smart Car > Technical Discussions > Modifications and Performance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel
AaronVee
How are you forum ?

I'm buying a 2005 pulse cdi cabrio from my uncle smile.gif

So my questions are :

1) I want more power to accelerate and just be faster in general what kind of powe adders can I use without sacrificing reliability and performance ?

2) HID are awesome and I will get them. But exterior mods and interior mods are what I'm looking at. Really like th exhaust pipes on a brabus and I would like to add some heated seats..

3) any other ideas people.. I want to plan my build before I buy the car in august

Thx forum
Mike T
1. Adding power will shorten engine life if you use it much. The best way to do this is to get a decent remap, but bear in mind that a 65 HP smart diesel is still by far the slowest car on the road, and if you drive it balls out, it won't last as long as it would without a remap.

2. HID are not suited to this car because it has conventional headlight reflectors. The beam pattern will be terrible (as it is with all the Fart Cannon Honda Boyz with HID) and the annoyance to oncoming drivers will be dangerous on 2 lane roads. Stick with halogen bulbs, please.

You could get reasonable performance from HID in a smart 451 because they have projector beam headlights, in which a convex lens focuses the light. But for the 450, please don't do it.

3. The best modifications so far as I am converned are cruise control (OE, Eddy can do it), wider wheels and tires (preferably 175/195 front/rear) and front BRABUS spoiler. Of yes and buy a ScanGauge.
Britsmart
QUOTE (Mike T @ Mar 25 2011 - 03:21 PM) *
1. Adding power will shorten engine life if you use it much. The best way to do this is to get a decent remap, but bear in mind that a 65 HP smart diesel is still by far the slowest car on the road, and if you drive it balls out, it won't last as long as it would without a remap.

2. HID are not suited to this car because it has conventional headlight reflectors. The beam pattern will be terrible (as it is with all the Fart Cannon Honda Boyz with HID) and the annoyance to oncoming drivers will be dangerous on 2 lane roads. Stick with halogen bulbs, please.

You could get reasonable performance from HID in a smart 451 because they have projector beam headlights, in which a convex lens focuses the light. But for the 450, please don't do it.

3. The best modifications so far as I am converned are cruise control (OE, Eddy can do it), wider wheels and tires (preferably 175/195 front/rear) and front BRABUS spoiler. Of yes and buy a ScanGauge.

Agreed and if it doesn't already have one, get a duel cup holder from a 451 makes more sense then the 450 single cupholder....which works for a Big Gulp or an in car trash can....

Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car biggrin.gif
Alex
A remap is by far the best way to add power, but as stated it will lower engine life if you are using it all the time. I have one and really appreciate the extra power for short merge lanes especially but try not to use it much. If you are responsible with it, it won't hurt mileage at all, or engine life much. It's not that the engine has a weak point that blows up, it's just that general wear is accelerated.
Given your penchant for lead-footedness you may not want the temptation. Even smarts can get speeding tickets....

Another mod I like is the wiper-arm washer nozzle. I made myself a side sunshade as well, but that is custom and not available.
Huronlad
Tinted widows if they are not already done. Every little bit helps where the A/C is concerned.
AaronVee
I know It has tinted windows and 2 cup holders lol maybe I should focus away from performance mods i want it to last as long as possible I want to make a trip out to BC to meet u mike lol
How much is the cruise control and how is it integrated in to the wheel or sash and how much does it cost for the oem cruise and how long is the install.. Does it feel lumpy with he transmission ?
Mike T
Cruise is great, there is a replacement wiper switch with the CC controls on it, all original equipment on the European versions (optional). It's got a built in speed limiter too. On the highway above 102 km/h, put it in automatic and set cruise and the car does the rest.....

Eddy charges about $400 for the job I think.
David_18
I have HID headlight, and it work really good !!
AaronVee
QUOTE (David_18 @ Mar 25 2011 - 09:21 PM) *
I have HID headlight, and it work really good !!

I'll do mikes suggestion of the bulbs and when I get my car I'll for sue get oe cruise
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.